SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#218614 - 11/02/02 06:14 PM The Saga continues (KN7k, Tyros, Triton Studio)
KN_Fan Offline

After many posts...questions...etc...i'm still undecided on which one to get. Hope all here have the patience to listen and help (much needed) my buying process.

Just a recap: I have a Technics KN6000,which currently have intermitten composer problem due to some nimrod dropped a heavy object in the middle of the board when I brought it from overseas . Now, while I'm thinking of spending more money fixing it, I'm thinking of getting a second keyboard (or perhaps if I can sell the 6000, just a pure replacement). I've been considering three different keyboards: KN7k, Tyros, and last but not least Korg Triton Studio.

Tyros-Haven't seen or played the keyboard in person...nobody here has it..so I can't say much about it..for 3000 bucks..hhmh...hard sell. (especially some 9000 Pro/9000 owners have mentioned to me, to consider the 9000/pro instead of the Tyros for a SIGNIFICANTLY reduced price).

Triton Studio, got some nice sounds, onboard drum patterns, and stuff....but when I went to guitar center today and tried it, DAAAANG...that thing is so hard to program even just to record the RPPR or the cue list...(technics' have succesfully spoiled me these past few years). The salesperson didn't help much either, kept showing me how cool the sequencer was..I was like.."I know..I know..but that's NOT what I want..show me the cue list, or the RPPR function.." he couldn't do it (and didn't even try even though I have the manual right there...he wasn't ready to make a quick $2700 sale that minute perhaps). I think the other salesperson told me.."take the keyboard...30 days later you can return it if you don't like it." Not sure about their return policy, I declined...I'll post another message about the Triton Studio (for the Triton owners).

KN7000-(Scott, friend..ha.ha..we've gone through this chat before), the "composer" feature. This is what keeps me from moving on to different brand, although I'm ready to do so...but I'm not ready to spend $3000 for the KN...plus, I don't wanna own TWO KNs at the same time....

HEEEELP!

#218615 - 11/02/02 06:15 PM Re: The Saga continues (KN7k, Tyros, Triton Studio)
KN_Fan Offline

Oops..that was supposed to be

#218616 - 11/02/02 07:18 PM Re: The Saga continues (KN7k, Tyros, Triton Studio)
trtjazz Offline

Kn,
from my perspective you are comparing apples to oranges when comparing the T Studio to any of the arrangers. Two almost totally different animals. Different sounds and very different ways in which to approach doing your work between arrangers and workstations. The Studio will definately be more complex to work with and less built in help like styles etc.

About the return policy at GC....they honor that has been my experience with them, 30 day return no problem.

Having owned 3 Korg products and still having the T Rack .... IMO their stuff does alot but it is complicated and don't count on support from them when you can't figure it out either has been my experience. Their manuals to me are written for engineers and programmers.

The best you could do is go to a Korg workstation specific forum and get help there for your Q's.

I think which one you choose between the 3 depends alot on what you do and how you want to do it as well.
Terry

#218617 - 11/02/02 07:33 PM Re: The Saga continues (KN7k, Tyros, Triton Studio)
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Have you tried any Ketron products yet ?

XD9 or SD1 ? dano

#218618 - 11/03/02 03:41 AM Re: The Saga continues (KN7k, Tyros, Triton Studio)
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
KN fan
I had the chance to play on the Tyros and the KN7000 side by side.
And after long consideration the KN7 is the
board for me.
Styles have more depth and are very easy to
edit(sounds)
there are more sounds onboard and you can
put in 4! expansion boards
You can layer 24 sounds in voice edit and make youre own "Megavoice"
The Tyros sound very clean(too much in my opinion)but have great guitar voices
And the Drawbars sounds very good on the
Tyros.
Before buying ,play on it and listen !
It is all a matter of taste .

Regards
Arno

#218619 - 11/03/02 07:05 AM Re: The Saga continues (KN7k, Tyros, Triton Studio)
trtjazz Offline

Arno,
Expansion board capabilities for the Tyros SHOULD have been included in the design I think....you know accessories sales.
jam on,
Terry

#218620 - 11/03/02 08:01 AM Re: The Saga continues (KN7k, Tyros, Triton Studio)
eyrec Offline

Loc: UK
Try either the Ketron SD1 or Gem Genesys, they are both by far the best out there. Obviously this is my opinion and others would not agree but what the heck, I'm happy with them and my Roland G1000.

#218621 - 11/04/02 01:11 PM Re: The Saga continues (KN7k, Tyros, Triton Studio)
KN_Fan Offline

First of all, thanks all for your replies. (I typed a reaaally long answer but my comp crashed so let's try this again)

Dan-Sorry, I don't know why, when I checked out the Kentron, the looks didn't appeal to me, and the demos were not that great. this keyboard doesn't do it for me...sorry...

Now, here are my needs:

1. Good quality Sounds: Want something that can cover various music styles : I play Jazz/rock fusion (anything from GRP stuff, Chaka Khan, some jazz standards, pop, Rippingtons..etc..)
Tyros-I've never heard of the keyboard or played it in person, so I can't say anything much. Some have mentioned to me that the demo may be "misleading" due to some of the guitar sounds (the frets, etc..) are not necessarily playable. That's just what I was told.
Technics-Good sounds, but I've been a Technics user for 10 years+, ready for a different kinda sounds.
Triton Studio-really killer sounds (Yamaha's piano is better, not saying Triton's is bad ). BUT, I'm like this...I'll be okay with keyboards that have ALL "pretty good"sounds rather than "some good, but some are terrible..".

2. USER FRIENDLYNESS-Triton Studio fails big time. I was tinkering with the keyboard for 1 1/2 hours...trying to figure out the "cue list" or the RRPR function (to play the "pattern" or "phrase") couldn't do it. Salesperson didn't help either (He probably didn't want to make a quick $2600 sale that day). Some people said.."once you get the hang of it, it's easy to use." also, the manuals...I think it's useless.

3. EASY composer feature- meaning: I REALLY REALLY like to chop off a song into smaller chunks or phrases (or patterns whatever you wanna call it), record them individually, and store them in the ASSIGNABLE onboard buttons so I can replay them live while at the same time play my riffs/additional chords on top of them. Technics got about 16 user assignable pattern memory, which is good enough for me. (I should've put this first before the "user-friendlyness"). I usually use sequencer only to "link" those "patterns" together.

4. Edit functions: Easy to edit sounds, recorded performance.

1-2-3-4 is the most important. Now additional objectives:

5. Good effects (Korg got no problem here from what I've heard)

6. Separate outputs

7. ALL inclusive feature (CD burner is okay, although if somebody can convince me, using the USB connection and burn the CD in your computer is not too cumbersome, i might fall for the idea).

I think that's it.

Scott, thanks for the convo the last time, perhaps you wanna add more or reclarify what I'm trying to say here, so that our synthzone friends can help me better?

#218622 - 11/04/02 04:37 PM Re: The Saga continues (KN7k, Tyros, Triton Studio)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Jonas (KN_Fan):
It's sounds like (from our conversation the other day) that using the Technics method of composing style patterns (Composer Memory feature) is really IMPORTANT to you and that you want to do EVERYTHING on the keyobard itself amd not from a PC.

As far as easily creating styles from the keyboard itself, I honestly think that Technics wins hands down in this dept. Also, since you say you don't feel comfortable with the typical workstation (Korg, etc) method of composition, and don't use any of the arranger keyboards INTERNAL styles, wanting to create ALL your own auto accomp styles (Technics Composer Memory) on your own instead, it sounds (to me) that you should just get your KN6000 repaired , or if want, possibly upgrade to the KN7000. I might suggest though, that you consider purchasing an external drum machine like the ZOOM MRT-3 drum machne that Squeak uses, as it will offer more dynamic sounding drums (and fills) than the whimpy ones included in Technics KN keyboards can provide. This is my opinion based on all the things you've told me. Good luck in your decision. Scott

#218623 - 11/04/02 05:01 PM Re: The Saga continues (KN7k, Tyros, Triton Studio)
KN_Fan Offline

Hi Scott,

Actually, I'm willing to sacrifice Technics' composer for any comparable features in different keyboard (even though they might not be as userfriendly), my only problem with others (like Tyros), was that Tyros only have 4 patterns variations (which later on you pointed out, I can cheat a little bit and have more variations for me to play with).

Korg, yes..It's difficult, but I'm sure if there's a good tutorial out there (which i haven't found...I just downloaded one from tritonhaven..seems a bit easier than the user manual, but we'll see...). My opinion of Korg being "difficult" may be caused by me getting used to Technics' easy way of composing things...plus the un-helpful salesperson and Korg's paperweight (a.k.a the manual).

Ah...if money were no object....

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online