SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147295 - 10/31/02 02:21 AM Uncle Dave tell us about setup
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
I would like to congratulate you on that beautiful voice you have. Now can you please share with us the setup in recording your songs.
That is what reverb you use, Harmoniser if you use any computer programe to record and edith and important what Mic you use for recording.
I think this will be an interesting subject to share between us and all those who record can give there setups and views

#147296 - 10/31/02 07:02 AM Re: Uncle Dave tell us about setup
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow, thanx ziggy. The voice is truly a "gift," and I am grateful that many enjoy it. I love to sing, and if it wasn't my "real" job ... there is NO way that I'd have enough hours in a day to do it!
I've been very lucky all these years to be able to share my gift with clients that pay my bills !(it's a beautiful thing !)

As for recording .... I'm mostly a "one take" live player .... even in the studio.
the songs on my website were all done in one pass, and the only one that has more than 10 fingers working is "She" - I used a commercial sequence for that and played piano and string lines over top. The drums were too specific to use a style on it.

Regarding reverb etc.....
"She" was done on my studio rig: Mackie 1604VLZpro mixer with TC Electronics M-ONExl reverb .... no other gimmics. recorded straight to the Tascam CD/RW700 CD recorder ... then Cakewalk's "Pyro" made the MP3 conversion at 128 for the web site.

"She's no lady" is ALL X1 - the vocals, the harmonies, the effects ....... recorded right into the Tascam.

"All my tomorrows" was the maiden voyage on my PA80 ..... no external anything either. I played manual bass and rhodes to a jazz brush style and sang through the internal effects. I didn't even have the vocal board installed at this time. It's even more versatile with the vocal/gtr board because it adds more effects and EQ.

After I did "Tomorrows" I decided to showcase a Louis Prima type shuffle beat and recorded "Just a gigolo"
This too, was done all internal with the factory effects, styles and sounds of the PA80. I wish I had the harmonizer installed for this one, but I use a separate one at work anyway. All 4 songs were recorded in real time direct to the Tascam CD burner and I'm thrilled with the results.

I have lots of pc software, but I learned recording engineering on reel-to-reel decks in the 70's so I'm more comfortable in a "hands on" environment, than a menu driven one. My MTR is a Roland VSR880 (rack mount 8 track with virtual "takes" for each track. I NEVER use the virtual tracks .... if it's not right - I do it over, but that's mostly for clients that rent studio space anyway. When I record myself .... I do as much live as possible to maintain the "feel" then I sweeten the tracks to add "punch and sizzle .... if it needs it. The studio is only about 5% of my income ... I'd love to spendmore time in it, but I play out too much to have the hours available. That's definatly what I'll do if I ever retire.
(retire? What's THAT?)

None of the offerings on my site were multitracked, and except for the sequence, it was all live play. "Tomorrows" of course, was totally live - no arranger at all.

Hope this was the long winded answer you wanted !

#147297 - 10/31/02 08:31 AM Re: Uncle Dave tell us about setup
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi UD
Did you ever get around to recording 'Stars' from Les Mis? I remember you said you were hoping to a couple of years ago. It is one of my favourite songs (certainly from Les Mis anyway), and you already know I am a huge fan of your voice. I think the Song and your voice would complement each other brilliantly.
Best to you
Tony

#147298 - 10/31/02 11:52 AM Re: Uncle Dave tell us about setup
trtjazz Offline

Dave,
Thought I had listened to your work before....I guess not. Very nice and I agree nice voice. So now you're another person I have to put on my I hate you because your vocals are so much better than mine.
warble on,
Terry

#147299 - 10/31/02 12:41 PM Re: Uncle Dave tell us about setup
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
One word......Wow!!!
Very nice Uncle Dave.
Just out of curiosity..."All My Tomorrows", what are you using for keys on this number, the sound is excellent.

#147300 - 10/31/02 01:05 PM Re: Uncle Dave tell us about setup
trtjazz Offline

Leon,
Have a look back up at Dave's post he says what he used.
Terry

#147301 - 10/31/02 02:56 PM Re: Uncle Dave tell us about setup
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Ah.....reading and comprehending
What a concept...
My faux paus

Thanks trtjazz

Wow Dave, that's an impressive song list.
I haven't read anything like that since my divorce papers !!

Once again.....very nice job.

#147302 - 10/31/02 03:34 PM Re: Uncle Dave tell us about setup
ziggy Offline

Well thx Dave for the explantion of the setup, must admit that you have a live feeling in the recording, I'm like you a more LIVE singer than a studio one, so like you I prefer performing among audiances than in a studio. But the reverb you used sounded so gooooddd, that's why I asked you for the setup.Myself for live performance I use Spirit folio power mixer with a built in Lexacon reverb and at times I use Alessis. I am experimenting a bit with the recording on my New Genesys I and very thrilled with the results so far when I have some songs done if you want I can send them your way by Email. You know My WIFE thought you where Charles Aznavour when she heard you singing "She" but I really fell in love with your 2 other songs "she's no lady" and "Tomorrow" htey are great songs have to admit never heard them before, very well interpreted I'll give you a 100 out of 100 for them, keep the good work and I am sure you make people happy with a voice like yours.

#147303 - 10/31/02 11:38 PM Re: Uncle Dave tell us about setup
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
These comments are very, very nice to hear - especially coming from fellow musicians. Thank you all. A lot of people seem to have missed "All my tomorrows" from their Frank Sinatra collections. It's been a favorite of mine for years , and "She" was first introduced to me at the end of "Notting Hill" by Elvis Colstello. I'd LOVE to hear another interpretation of it ..... who is this other guy that sings it?

Funny you mentioned the reverb, Ziggy - because if it's "Tomorrows" that you refer to - it's the stock internal effects unit in the PA80. It had no EQ or ANYthing on the mic either .... it just sort of "clicked" that day. Glad I had the CDR turned on !

#147304 - 11/01/02 02:56 AM Re: Uncle Dave tell us about setup
ziggy Offline

both reverbs sounds alike and it was not easy to separate one from the other, I could tell you did it live cause I could feel you coming out of the mic but still it sounds very good. Now I know that Elvis Colstello did sing She, But correct me if I am wrong, that was a Charles Aznavour song, he is French and Believe me your voice sounds exactly like his. You have without a doubt a Concert Pitch, and I envey people like you cause that is something you where born with and obviously you have to practice to bring out what you have.I never did hear a PA80 but it sure sounds good, I have to stick to Gem cause my work is all Gem competable althought I had to edith all my work on the new Genesys, I have been giging with my Genesys for 2 weeks now and I am very satified with the results I've had so far. Now I know what I was missing without a Harmoniser it's so great and sure helps you out. And by the way now I think I am going to have 2 new songs to my Repertua.....lol....thanks to you. I sugest one song to you and that is I will Drink The Wine By Frankie Sinatra. I think it suits you very well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online