SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160885 - 10/29/02 10:21 AM You know what? There is one big flaw with the SD1
justforfun000 Offline

Loc: Canada
One big problem is certain instruments like the violin, fiddle, saxes (except "dry sax), and harmonica are all automatically set with vibrato. Every one of my midi files that uses these sounds awful because they are not meant to have vibrato on them until you place it there with the modulation command. So all of my sequences sound like those instruments are being played by someone drunk.

The one exception I've seen is the dry sax as this gives you the straight sound without the vibrato.

Why would they do this when they should realize midi files are always done with them expecting no vibrato unless commanded to in certain spots?

I hope there is a way I can somehow remove it being used automatically on these instruments.

Any idea how?

#160886 - 10/29/02 11:06 AM Re: You know what? There is one big flaw with the SD1
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Kendall ,

Going from midi files being played on an Korg I-3 to the SD1 will need some adjustments . I do not think vibrato is a flaw . It's more natural sounding to me .

Send me the midi files so I can have a listen .

Use my comcast email oneils44@comcast.net

dano

------------------
danosmusic@yahoo.com

#160887 - 10/29/02 11:13 AM Re: You know what? There is one big flaw with the SD1
Random Solton/Ketron User Offline

I own a Solton MS60 unit, and it has a vibrato on/off option in the setup, so I guess there must be a vibrato off function on SD1. I use it all the time while playing MIDI files.
I know this isn't very helpful. :-)
Well, on MS60 it is under PITCH setup, try finding something like that.

#160888 - 10/29/02 11:50 AM Re: You know what? There is one big flaw with the SD1
justforfun000 Offline

Hey Dan. just left you a phone message.

If anyone else is curious, I have both my keyboards set up and ready to play the parts I mean as an example. If you want to hear it, call me at 416-469-3465

I hope there IS a way to turn off the automatic vibrato.

I don't understand why they would do that. that's what the modulation commands are for. To turn it on and off at will??

If it's on all the time, it sounds REALLY wonky when there are commands to "kick" it in.

#160889 - 10/29/02 05:04 PM Re: You know what? There is one big flaw with the SD1
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by justforfun000:
I hope there IS a way to turn off the automatic vibrato.
I don't understand why they would do that. that's what the modulation commands are for.

The bad news is:
Those sounds are actually sampled WITH the vibtrato.
The good news is:
They sound much more relistic without having to use another controller, or hand to add the effect. If they sound bad in midi files -use a sound that has no vibrato in the sample. Nothing is 100% compatable.
You have to tweak when you cross platforms. That's only natural..... like vibrato !

#160890 - 10/30/02 06:19 AM Re: You know what? There is one big flaw with the SD1
justforfun000 Offline

*groan*

But it doesn't make sense. There ARE many notes that a violin, fiddle or sax hits without any vibrato. Sometimes it stays flat for half a note and then adds a touch of vibrato near the end, or what have you.

By making it automatic, you have no control whatsoever. That doesn't make sense. Haven't any of you noticed the problem with midi files?

Just one example is "Friends in low Places"

Measure 26 a distinctive fiddle part starts. On the Solton it sounds way off because of the vibrato through the whole thing.

someone call me and I'll show you the difference. You'll see exactly what I mean. I don't see how that is sensible.

416-469-3465

#160891 - 10/30/02 06:39 AM Re: You know what? There is one big flaw with the SD1
Clif Anderson Offline

J4F00,

I share your preference for samples without vibrato and adding vibrato using a controller or control data. However, many prefer hearing the vibrato without having to operate a controller. I think Yamaha's "sweet" voices are sampled with vibrato. If you think of arrangers mainly as instruments for live entertainment, then I think you can see why it might be nice to be able to have vibrato without operating a controller. I thought the SD1 could accept user samples--if so, add some without vibrato.

#160892 - 10/30/02 07:26 AM Re: You know what? There is one big flaw with the SD1
Roel Offline

Justforfun000,

I personally see not a problem at all. The SD1's vibrato sounds great. If I should get a midifile that contains controller-data for vibrato, the removing of the data is done in a split second with the help of sequencers as Cubase or alikes.

As far as I can remember I never noticed your problem. The controller that is implemented in midi's often is the pitch-wheel.

Roel

#160893 - 10/30/02 07:51 AM Re: You know what? There is one big flaw with the SD1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just,

Is the problem consistant or intermittant? I am having a similar problem with my XD9, but it occurs randomly and ~ 10-20% of the time. If I stop and restart the midi song, it will be OK. Is that what you are experiencing? Supposedly, OS2.0 will fix, we'll see.

Glenn

#160894 - 10/30/02 08:23 AM Re: You know what? There is one big flaw with the SD1
justforfun000 Offline

Roel, you don't seem to get it. There are many songs that DO NOT use vibrato on every note that those instruments hit. In fact many of them sound awful with it on when it's not supposed to be.

Give me a call and I'll show you exactly what I mean.

416-469-3465

Do any of you sequence your own midi files by listening to the songs by ear and laying them down track by track? If you do, you MUST have noticed that with the vibrato always on certain instruments that it was IMPOSSIBLE to match them to exactly what the song was originally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online