SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#194358 - 09/11/02 11:37 AM Converting .mid to .wav
Zack Offline

hey! im in college now, which is why i haven't been posting much, in case anyone noticed. i was wondering if anyone knows of a free way to convert a midi file to wav format. please let me know. you can also email me at berishedelman@hotmail.com . thanks!

#194359 - 09/11/02 02:09 PM Re: Converting .mid to .wav
JimJamJammin Offline

Loc: Surrey, England
It just requires a bit of initiative. Assuming you have a 'mono' lead, plug one end into the headphone socket of your keyboard and the other into the microphone socket of your computer.
Load up some sort of recording program (I think Window's 'Sound Recorder' might do) and then play your MIDI through the keyboard.

Voila, you have a wav file.

P.S. If you don't know what a 'mono' lead is, it's just the lead you use to connect any two recording/musical devices. The ends are the same as headphone's, but you may need a 'converter' on the end if you need one small and one big end.

#194360 - 09/11/02 03:06 PM Re: Converting .mid to .wav
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I think zack means just recording within pc envirement. (note you cannot convert midi to wave with good results, you can only playback midi and record.)

This is all you need.
http://www.highcriteria.com/

cheap and works brilliant on any sound played thru your pc. (also online streamed audio)

#194361 - 09/11/02 04:09 PM Re: Converting .mid to .wav
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Exactly, Midi file cannot be converted to Wave file because Midi file does not contain audio info. All it contains is events but not audio.

I am assuming you need the result to be burned on CD. So the wave must be stereo 44.1 KHZ 16 bit.

In this case, take the midi file and play it; while playing it, record it. Unless you want to convert each midi channel to one audio track. Then you need midi/audio sequencer program.

#194362 - 09/17/02 05:48 PM Re: Converting .mid to .wav
Zack Offline

ok. thanks for all your replies! i'll definitely try it. thanks! Zack

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online