SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#129926 - 09/11/02 06:02 PM High end cable
Beakybird Offline

I just bought a Monster speaker cable for my JBL Eon10 G2 speaker. Besides being sturdy, does anyone notice a sound difference when you use expensive cable?

I'm using a Radio Shack Gold Series XLR to 1/4" cable to go from my headset condenser mic to my PSR2000. Would I or anyone else notice a difference in sound if I were to go with a pricey cable?

Thanks

Beakybird

#129927 - 09/11/02 07:31 PM Re: High end cable
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I hate to sound redundant, but if you HEAR a difference ... then there IS one. Trust your ears, and ONLY your ears. Otherwise - it's not worth it. Some cables do increase the output gain, but I doubt that you will hear a better quality unless your cables are crap to start with.

#129928 - 09/11/02 08:30 PM Re: High end cable
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I definately hear a difference between a $1 cord and a $35 cord..

#129929 - 09/12/02 12:11 AM Re: High end cable
Beakybird Offline

You know Monster makes 1/4" cable especially for guitarists, jazz musicians, bassists, keyboardists, etc. They state that there are certain features in the cable that bring out the inherent qualities of each instrument. It sounds far fetched to me. It was dumb of me to ask the salesperson if there is really a difference. He told me that he definitely hears a difference and uses Monster cable with his band.

It would make sense that you would want to spend $50-$100 and up on a keyboard cable if you are Billy Joel or something, and if you need a cable that runs 60 feet to carry an unbalanced signal. But for a mope like me who needs 12 feet of wire to play some ditties for mostly memory-impaired folks, I probably was a bit overzealous.

I haven't compared sound with another cable. Maybe I got ripped off $20 - the difference between merely sturdy cable and this gourmet cable.

#129930 - 09/12/02 08:48 AM Re: High end cable
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
The good ol' cable issue.
In my opinion, as long as your speaker cable is think enough and the distance not too long there will not be too much signal loss. Specialy in PA environment, in Hi_fi situations things can be slighty different, and an expensive "monster" cable (thick with lots of thin seperate strands) can make a difference.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online