SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#155621 - 09/10/02 08:00 AM Stuffit and Winzip from Mac to PC Question
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
One of our members has a "MAC" Computer but wants to have their songs published in my 20 for 1 song project. The compression format is .sit and Winzip is not able to open this file.
I find there is a Stuffit program for windows PC. My questions are then:
1. Would this program conflict with the Winzip program I already have installed.
2. Will it work correctly on the Technics multi (up to 7) files that are zipped with stuffit on a mac and then unzipped with stuffit on a pc.
I think there are several "MAC" owner/users on this forum so this is a general information question that many can learn from. I am requesting that your answers be posted here on the forum.
Thank you for your help
Bebop

#155622 - 09/10/02 04:41 PM Re: Stuffit and Winzip from Mac to PC Question
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Bebop,

I have sent you almost a dozen of my files for your 20 for 1 project. I have used suffit delux to zip all of these. I don't think you had any problem with them.

Grandpa Doug

#155623 - 09/10/02 04:56 PM Re: Stuffit and Winzip from Mac to PC Question
Douglas Dean Offline

Bebop,

P.S. I have had Macs since 1987 and still have them. We have three of them here in the office and laptops in the field. My business has not had any problem with them. We upgrade every three to four years. We have never had any virus problems with them over the years even tho we do not run any kind of virus programs on them. We backup every day and twice a day if the workload is intense.

Grandpa Doug

#155624 - 09/10/02 08:10 PM Re: Stuffit and Winzip from Mac to PC Question
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Bebop,
I have a PC and have run Winzip, Stuffit, and PowerArchiver (a freeware that I feel is superior to Winzip). I installed Stuffit so that a friend who has a Mac could send me compressed stuff. I have had no conflicts and I run all three depending on my needs.
It should not be a problem.
It should also uncompress just fine for each file that was placed into the compressed file.
- Brian

#155625 - 09/10/02 08:17 PM Re: Stuffit and Winzip from Mac to PC Question
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Dean:
Bebop,

I have sent you almost a dozen of my files for your 20 for 1 project. I have used suffit delux to zip all of these. I don't think you had any problem with them.

Grandpa Doug

Thank you for your reply GD.
I have never received a .sit file from you so I am confused. I have never received a .sit file from anyone until now. I have always received .zip files from everyone that I have been able to open with winzip without a problem.
Kindly explain and thank you. I have a .sit file waiting to be opened and included in the volume 13 of the 20 for 1 song project.
Thank you,
Bebop

#155626 - 09/11/02 08:10 AM Re: Stuffit and Winzip from Mac to PC Question
Douglas Dean Offline

Bebop,

Quote: Thank you for your reply GD.
I have never received a .sit file from you so I am confused. I have never received a .sit file from anyone until now. I have always received .zip files from everyone that I have been able to open with winzip without a problem. Kindly explain and thank you.

On the Mac I use Stuffit Deluxe. Also on the Mac we can for about a hundred and a half, run any of the PC windows versions plus DOS. We can at the same time have any or all of the PC Windows versions installed and can at will switch between any of them or use the Mac system at will. We also do not experiance the problems with your PC Windows that you do when running any of the versions on the Mac. With that said I will give you the options we have in Stuffit under the Translate drop down window of the program. As follows we have the choice to: -

Decode
----------------------------------------------------
Text Convert -
Macintosh
PC
Unix
Join
Segment
Encode Apple Single
Encode Binary to ASCII
Encode Bin Hex
Encode B Zip
Encode G Zip
Encode LHa
Encode Mac Binary
Encode Tar
Encode Unix Compress
Encode UUncode
Encode Zip
Make Windows SEA
Remove Windows SEA

I have given you above what I see when I am goin to send you or anybody else a music file. I choose the music file, click on the Translate menu of the Stuffit program, it drops down and I then click on the Encode Zip choice and that is what you get, sweet and simple. No muss, no fuss.

On the technics forum you asked the same question. Frank answered that he also uses a Mac with no problems. He also made another statement. Quote: - Do you think a PC do as well as a Mac?

I know what I think, what do you think. We all make our choices in life and have to live with them. Nice thing about living in this country we are allowed to change our minds. We are all free. For the most part, people help people and for that I am thankful. Today is a good day to remember how we are blessed and that there are some in this world who would try to take this away from us. Even in this country there are those who view life differently. I am so very, very glad my mother had the ability to accept and be responsible for her actions. She made her choice, had her fun and satisfaction, came to grips with her responsibilites and did not choose to abort me. Thanks mom. Ruthie says thanks also most of the time. Anyway Bebop, this is what Old Grandpa Doug thinks about things today. Tomorrow I might change my mind but tomorrow isn't here yet.

PS: Guess what I got?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online