SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#202349 - 08/12/02 01:41 PM Can PSR's be used to control external devices such as drum machines?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Does anyone know if the PSR's are capable of this? I'm strongly considering getting the ZOOM MRT-3, because in my opinion Yamaha's drum kits are just plain boring to me, and the sound gets old REAL fast. Using something like the ZOOM MRT-3 synced with my PSR-550 would make a world of difference to me....
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#202350 - 08/12/02 04:38 PM Re: Can PSR's be used to control external devices such as drum machines?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Squeak D. If I recall correctly[not sure], the PSR's do not transmit out via midi[drums].. I know the Casio's must select the function and turn on midi out. This is true for arranger backing parts too..

#202351 - 08/12/02 04:53 PM Re: Can PSR's be used to control external devices such as drum machines?
Midnite Rider Offline

Loc: Whittier, CA, USA
Squeak,

The PSRs will absolutely sync with a drum machine, and most of the latest models (including the 550?) will also trigger a drum machine if the ACMP OUT template is selected in the MIDI utility. Set your drum machine to Ext sync, connect MIDI out of the PSR to MIDI in of the MRT-3. When you press START on the PSR the drum machine should start, when you change tempo, the drum machine should too.

Hope that helps,

Midnite

#202352 - 08/12/02 07:46 PM Re: Can PSR's be used to control external devices such as drum machines?
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
I think you guys are talking about two different issues here.

1. ALmost every keyboard will sync to a drum machine, but in that case just the midi tempo will get synched and the patterns will come from the drum computer.
Disadvantage: its hard to synch fills, intros etc with your arranger, they would have to play a fill in they same lenght and time.

2. Option is to just use the sounds out of a rack module or drum machine but let the arranger play the pattern. This solves the issue above. BUT, indeed I dont think that yamaha transmits the actual midi notes for the drumtrack to its midi-out port.

#202353 - 08/12/02 11:17 PM Re: Can PSR's be used to control external devices such as drum machines?
Shakil Offline

yes, the PSRs do export all midi notes and events (volume pan and other controller changes) from all styles.
My PSR510 did, so does the PSR2000.

#202354 - 08/13/02 06:00 AM Re: Can PSR's be used to control external devices such as drum machines?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks for the help everyone.. If I use the Drum Machine I will most likely not even touch the drum sets on the PSR again.. I've played many of Zooms drum machines and the sound quality of those are far greater than the PSR's... I like the auto accomp feature on the PSR's, but my biggest gripe is the limitations with recording bass tracks and so forth.. You're limited to how complex the bass line can be, and it has to be recorded in a specific key. I don't mind actually playing out the complete track without looping.. Playing it out completely gives the song more of a natural feel anyways, but when it comes to drum tracks.. Those have to be looped.... Too time consuming any other way. Again thanks for the help..
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online