SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#132879 - 05/18/02 10:10 PM Problem with the EPROM of Roland VA
diosif Offline

Loc: Greece
Just today I had the first problem of my 1 month old VA5. Yesterday I played normally my program. Today I powered the VA on and it started with calibration of the stick and the touch screen. After that it displayed a message that "Couldn't write the Eprom memory", and I had lost all my disk links, the Scale tuning memories and ALL the One touch setting, internaln or on disk!!! The registrations where there though. I restarted it and the situation was the same. I quickly restore manually the disk links because I needed them and after another resatart (and several more during the night in order to bring it back functioning normal), I didn't lose the disk links. But the One touch buttons were empty and still are, and if i pressed one of those empty buttons, then I lost all the tones!!! There were empty buttons there as well! They were restored after recalling a registration (no matter which). The one touch button still don't work. Does anyone have an idea how to restore them? It is urgent and I can't sent the keyboard to service since I'm playing 6 nights a week.

#132880 - 05/18/02 10:28 PM Re: Problem with the EPROM of Roland VA
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
To restore the one touch settings you must insert the factory disk which came with the keyboard (I think it is #1 and not #2 disk).
Push the function button and go to disk.
Push load.
Next, push the tab on the left of the screen which reads midi (I think). It's not the one called song or style. It might be labled Program or performance. I'm not at my store right now, but you will know you pushed the right button when you see a file come up which says "factory". When you load this, the one touch settings and the programs will come back.
I've had a customer who had a problem with the touch screen needing to be calibrated. We discovered that if you push your finger over the 4 corners as the calibration tells you to do, it does not work. Instead, you must use the tip of a pen on exactly the spots which are shown to you until it asks you to move on to the next spot.
I've never seen a notice about a bad eprom before.
Good luck,
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#132881 - 05/18/02 10:36 PM Re: Problem with the EPROM of Roland VA
diosif Offline

George, thank you for that really quick reply and. I haven't tried nothing yet because I don't have the keyboard here right now. I will do it later.
About the calibration of the screen, that's exactly what I did. I user the stylus of my palm and I had to press each point for about 10 seconds before being prompt to proceed to the next point.
Do you have any idea how did I lose the one touch setting? Or why when I press the empty One touch button all the Tone buttons turn empty? It is bizzare behavior I think and I hope that the company will be responsible enough to supply me with another keyboard while mine will be at service (if that will be necessary of course)... Do you do such things in US?

#132882 - 05/19/02 12:25 AM Re: Problem with the EPROM of Roland VA
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
In the US, if there is a problem with a VA keyboard, Roland has been really good about replacing them. They don't want the customers or the dealers to have to wait for repair when such major problem as yours occurs. If it is something simple, they would suggest a service center repair it, but when there are major parts or boards involved, they would rather just replace the whole keyboard. This has been my experience with roland (fortunately only once or twice).When I loaded version 2 into one of my customers keyboards, I noticed after loading the new software, all the one touch sounds and user programs were empty. That is when I realized I had to load the factory set up back in. I was working with the VA7 and that's when I discovered the factory set on the Zip disk. However, I know the VA5 disks have this as well. But, if your keyboard is really messed up, loading the factory set up will probably not fix things. I don't know how your tones can be missing when they are all rom sounds and not user sounds. Again, good luck!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#132883 - 05/19/02 06:52 PM Re: Problem with the EPROM of Roland VA
diosif Offline

I followed your advice and the problem is fixed. I don't know whether it will happen again or not. From one point of view, I'd be glad to have some serious problem that would need replacement, because I ,maybe I could pay the price difference and get the VA7. But on the other hand, I can be without keyboard for a maximum of one day and a half, which makes it rather impossible to deal with a replacement since I live on an island and I'd have to wait many days for my keyboard to be sent and a new one to arrive.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online