Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#103620 - 02/15/02 01:31 PM Keyboard Mountable 'Mic Boom'
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Nobby:
I'd like to tell you a story about sound in the internal speakers on my 2000!
I bought me a clamp to fasten onto my KB stand to mount a short 30" mic boom!
Didn't like it right off, the mic shook around to much! But that wasn't the worst part, it made a rumbling sound it the internal speakers!

I too have been looking for some kind of portable mic boom device which could somehow clamp to my keyboard (PSR2000). Nobby, it's disappointing to hear that you are getting feedback (rumbling) thru the internal speakers. Can you explain what type of clamping device you're using? How and where are you clamping the device to the keyboard? Is there rubber (or sound dampening material) in the clamping device to keep the sound from transmitting from the boom to the keyboard? How about the mic boom itself? Is this a specially designed portable mic boom unit? Please provide details in your setup.

I somehow remember a keyboard (a few years back) which included a mic boom holder built into the keyboard itself. Can someone here possibly refresh my memory about this? This sure would be a great built in feature for our arranger keyboards. Until then, it would be great to figure out a way to attach some kind of portable mic boom to our arranger keyboards, making one less piece of equipment to have to transport to the gig. - Scott

#103621 - 02/15/02 01:52 PM Re: Keyboard Mountable 'Mic Boom'
Dnj Offline

This Quiklok GRIPLOK 30mm collar is what I use on my QL-746 "Pro Series" Heavy Duty, Double-Brace, Single-Tier "X" KB stand, works great, heavy duty, folds up on the stand, you never remove it, and less to carry! Get the right size they also make a Griplok 28mm for smaller diameter tube x stands.
http://www.quiklok.com/

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-15-2002).]

#103622 - 02/15/02 02:09 PM Re: Keyboard Mountable 'Mic Boom'
Scottyee Offline

Donny,
Can you possibly give me a direct link to the 'Griplok' mic boom page on Quiklok's site. For some reason I couldn't find it searching from the main Quiklok page. Thanks. - Scott

#103623 - 02/15/02 02:19 PM Re: Keyboard Mountable 'Mic Boom'
Dnj Offline

scott

when you get to the home page click on KEYBOARD STANDS not mic stands.

#103624 - 02/15/02 02:32 PM Re: Keyboard Mountable 'Mic Boom'
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Scottyee,
Scott your formiliar with the short stands about two foot tall with a about a 30 inch boom. They are used by many as mic pickup
for say an acustic guitar! Being just right hight. And the short boom puts the mic right where you need it. Well I had one, no I got the bright idea to mount it on my KB stand.
I ask my music store dealer if he had ever heard of a bracket to mount a mic. to the stand. We were looking in a book for one when he remembered he had ordered one sometime ago an stlll had it!
I have an X style stand and it mounts on one
of the bars that the KB sits on. The clamp had a rounded jaw at the top with soft rubberish in the jaw! There was a place to mount a goose neck or I had a short 12" extension pipe I screwed onto the clamp & mounted my boom ontop. At the bottom of the clamp it had a threaded bolt with a knob on it coming up thru the clamp if had a half round jaw that had the same rubberish stuff on it. It was on the end of the bolt that came up again the bottom side of the stand bar.
It was so shaky, that was bad enough.
I guess you could slide your KB a little closer to you. But I had problems it bumping
the KB! Sometimes getting up again it.
I tried everthing I could think of, the only you could play at all was turn everything very low!
I give on it real quick,
Nobby

------------------

#103625 - 02/15/02 03:07 PM Re: Keyboard Mountable 'Mic Boom'
Clif Anderson Offline

I think it was a keyboard by Quasimidi--maybe it was the Raven (but I think that was another keyboard) or maybe it was "Serius"--that had a built in mike holder with mike. It was not an arranger, but probably had a vocoder built in.

But several keyboard stands have provisions for mike booms--this might be a more productive line of search.

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 02-15-2002).]

#103626 - 02/15/02 03:22 PM Re: Keyboard Mountable 'Mic Boom'
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Farfisa had a mic holder built in.
Don

#103627 - 02/15/02 04:16 PM Re: Keyboard Mountable 'Mic Boom'
Scottyee Offline

Farfisa . . . that's IT !

#103628 - 02/15/02 05:46 PM Re: Keyboard Mountable 'Mic Boom'
Beakybird Offline

Scott,

I really hope you consider a wired headset mic like my Crown CM311A. It is so fantastic sounding - and I can look at the buttons on the keyboard and at the audience to the side of me while I sing. I can move my head to the music while I sing.

Just as good, I can fit the mic and cable inside my keyboard gig bag, so I only need to carry the keyboard stand and the gig bag (and sometimes a duffle bag with my small monitors) to my gigs. It's so quick and convenient. I can arrive 8 minutes before a gig and be set up on time.

Just consider it Scott, because you wouldn't have to be screwing that clamp on at every gig. I know that a regular mic has one advantage - that you can distance yourself for notes that require higher volume. But the PSR2000 comes with a compressor and that helps a lot.

Whatever you go with, I hope you're happy.

Larry

#103629 - 02/15/02 07:26 PM Re: Keyboard Mountable 'Mic Boom'
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Larry,
You're my hero if you can actually SING through a headset mic. I've has a bunch over the years, and I can't get the same performance out of them. AS for compressors - I don't use them on my voice either. They limit too much of the expression, and color the tone.
Sometimes, I wish I could have the additional freedom of a headset, but it's too much of a sacrifice to my sound and style. I actually own one, but I rarely use it. Sometimes I do a strolling thing with an acoustic guitar, and I wear it then, or on Halloween when I dress up in my Phantom gear. I doubt that I will ever embrace the technology, as long as the sacrifice is so great.
Good luck with your setup, I use the clamp on stand that Donny has, and it takes less time to set up than a headset. Chocolate & Vanilla again?
Speaking of voices and mics - I'm posting a separate topic on the Voice Prism tonite !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online