Today, a peculiar man arrived at my front door wearing a policeman's cap, a hooded sweatshirt, raggedy pants, and tennis shoes.

He said he was taking donations for the Firefighters Humanitarian Society, a group helping the poor in the local community during the Christmas season. He said, "Any donation is appreciated" and held out a Sani-Flush can with a piece of white paper wrapped around it that said "Humanitarian Aid".

He spoke awkwardly and behaved very oddly. I was immediately suspect of him and told him that I contribute through my employer and at church. He turned and left.

I called the police and asked if they had ever heard of such a Firefighters organization in our area - they hadn't but they had heard of a man soliciting donations for a phony non-profit organization, and they immediately dispatched a car to find him.

It's hard to believe that people will prey on the sympathy generated by the September 11th attach. The Red Cross and United Way are still withholding funds donated to help the families of victims, and prefer to spend the money on updating their computer and satellite systems.

The Red Cross has hired several firms at $200,000 each to help victim's families fill out the paperwork they require before giving any money to any of them. And now, the government is vowing to give thousands of dollars to the victims' families.

The American people already donated all the money that the victims' families will ever need to United Way and the Red Cross. Unfortunately, greed, profiteering, and politics will plunder those funds. It won't be a merry Christmas for those who lost family that day.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get preachy . . . I guess it's a bit disallusioning when fraud and deceit come knocking on your door.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Stevizard (edited 12-22-2001).]