SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#198846 - 08/20/01 04:49 PM PSR2000 Groove Function?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Does anyone know if the new 2000 will retain the "easy" automatic groove assignment that the 740 has, or if, like the 9000, you have to edit and save the style in Groove Edit mode?
Thanks,
Don

#198847 - 08/20/01 05:37 PM Re: PSR2000 Groove Function?
Octave8 Offline

hello Don,

Not sure this will help, but there is an extensive review on the PSR 2000 here (apologies if you've already seen it!) http://www.svpworld.com/2000review.htm And will give you a good Idea how good it is. It is, Here in UK, supposed to be a PSR 740 Replacement, and it's not bad for the price would say! - might have one myself as a second Keyboard. You can get one now for about $950 ish Dollars from Internet shopping places like the one above!

Note in The review Don, it says

"Will there be a GROOVE feature on the PSR2000 ?

Yes. And you can also save "result of GROOVE" as a style like the PSR-9000

O8

[This message has been edited by Octave8 (edited 08-20-2001).]

#198848 - 08/20/01 08:28 PM Re: PSR2000 Groove Function?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks,
I think that means it works the same as the 8000 and 9000-you MUST save it to a style.
With the 740, you just push a button, and it is instantly done. You could even do it during play if you wanted. This in effect nearly doubles the number of available styles (all styles don't take to the groove function equally well).
On the 740 however, you are limited to just that resulting groove. On the bigger models, you have more options for editing the "groove".
DonM

#198849 - 08/20/01 11:29 PM Re: PSR2000 Groove Function?
Beakybird Offline

I sure hope they have that convenient groove button. What's great about that feature is that with many styles, it puts a syncopation in a style where there is not and takes away the syncopation of a style when it is there, making many styles, which would otherwise be unsuitable for a song, perfectly suitable. I only use the feature two or three times per show, but it is very useful.

What a shame if they don't include this feature. I wish Yamaha didn't include so many sequencing features and included more buttons pertinent to performance like the GROOVE button and especially, specific intro and ending buttons. I can't imagine how it's going to be easy and effortless to first choose which specific intro and ending you want with buttons by the display before you press INTRO or ENDING. I can't perceive this as anything but a design flaw that those who wish to upgrade from the PSR 740 will just have to live with.

As I can do a million times more sequencing functions with my computer than with any keyboard, I won't be pressing many of the new sequencing buttons on the PSR 2000.

Despite my reservations, I am very excited about buying the PSR 2000 because I want the extra style capacity and the 13 extra voices and ease of choosing voices.

Larry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online