SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#507736 - 02/24/23 02:33 PM Curiosity on Ketron Event Workstation
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello

Has anyone here, especially the Yamaha crowd, have or played this instrument? One of the dealers I wrote to seemed to imply that it is a bit cruder than the Genos. Less refined perhaps.

If only Yamaha would give us some more of those Superior packs I think I could be content until the next replacement. Genos is still the best sounding arranger ever! -charley

#507737 - 02/24/23 04:00 PM Re: Curiosity on Ketron Event Workstation [Re: rattley]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Charley,
I think Frank sells all 3. I think he wrote on PA5x forum that he gigs with a Genos, and that he was going to test PA5x and Event to see how they go. Whether or not he’s gotten round to it, don’t know, might be worth checking,( could be a couple of weeks ago)
Don’t know if any of the guys who own Ketron have upgraded yet.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=90

Edited by rikkisbears (02/24/23 04:03 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#507773 - 02/28/23 12:32 PM Re: Curiosity on Ketron Event Workstation [Re: rattley]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Hi Charly,

Yes I have the Genos, PA5x, and the EVENT, on display at my store. I gigged a couple of times with the EVENT, and compared to the Genos, I would say the drums and bass are very room filling, the styles have a very live musician feel to it, where the Genos might seem over quantized when comparing.
I feel the EVENT is not very organized like the Genos, little things, ( that will be addressed in future OS updates, I've been told ) for example, having the tempo displayed on the style before selecting , really helps speed up the process of finding a matching style to a song. I"m not a big fan of how the EVENT does registrations, but I heard that is being updated.

I think the EVENT is great, and it will get better. But depends on your usage, if you are playing allot of the standards, and not into programming, the Genos is the way to go, if you are looking for some newer styles, and a little more live sound, go PA5x, the EVENT is the leader with Latin, and old styles, like waltz etc, and a very authentic feel. Modern styles are lacking, and almost no song specific styles.

email or call me for more specific info (203) 806-5555 Frank@AudioProCT.com

#507774 - 02/28/23 02:06 PM Re: Curiosity on Ketron Event Workstation [Re: rattley]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Almost no song specific styles is actually some thing I applaud in a modern arranger! Let’s face it if it’s something, modern, older players don’t really want to perform it, if it’s something old, new performers don’t really want to perform it! And so often, those song styles are so specific that you really can use them for only one song.

Arranges always used to have generic styles, and it was the use of those generic styles in different ways with different styles for the same tune that made each of us individual. If you want to sound JUST like the record, why not get an audio backing track or an SMF? 🎹

#507777 - 02/28/23 03:31 PM Re: Curiosity on Ketron Event Workstation [Re: rattley]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By rattley

If only Yamaha would give us some more of those Superior packs I think I could be content until the next replacement.

Genos is still the best sounding arranger ever! -charley

Hi Charley, haven’t you actually sort of answered your own question . Why would you swap at this stage.
What actually is a superior pack?

I suppose after a while boredom might creep in when waiting for a new model. Seems to be a long time in between. Surely something must be on the horizon.

I know it was a long wait for my Korg.. I sold my Pa4x, 4 years too early. Bad miscalculation of when new model was due. Haha😀
Sx900 kept me entertained, thank goodness.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#507779 - 02/28/23 03:46 PM Re: Curiosity on Ketron Event Workstation [Re: frankieve]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By frankieve

I think the EVENT is great, and it will get better. But depends on your usage, if you are playing allot of the standards, and not into programming, the Genos is the way to go, if you are looking for some newer styles, and a little more live sound, go PA5x, the EVENT is the leader with Latin, and old styles, like waltz etc, and a very authentic feel. Modern styles are lacking, and almost no song specific styles.

email or call me for more specific info (203) 806-5555 Frank@AudioProCT.com

Hi Frank , good to know about each of the keyboard’s styles . Not having modern styles and no song styles would sure suit me😀.

Waiting to see if our latest dealer here in Aust. is any good , don’t want another keyboard, but, Ketron is great with modules. Hopefully down the track.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#507782 - 02/28/23 11:33 PM Re: Curiosity on Ketron Event Workstation [Re: Diki]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Diki
Almost no song specific styles is actually some thing I applaud in a modern arranger!

Agree fully! 👍
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#507783 - 03/01/23 02:13 AM Re: Curiosity on Ketron Event Workstation [Re: rattley]
Diki Offline

If boredom is a factor even though you might have a current gen arranger (rather than these new next gen ones like Event and PA5x), all I can say is, sorry, but that boredom is coming from the player, not the instrument!

Work on decoration, on embellishment, on substitute chords and that boredom goes out the window. Work on finding two similar and one wildly different styles that you can make work with each song, boredom goes out the window. Work on revoicing the styles and turning a style with electric sounds into acoustic, or 80’s synth pop sounds, or jazz styles into rock kits and sounds, boredom goes out the window.

Don’t get it spoon fed to you by purchasing a new arranger that forces you to find new ways of doing things. Find those new ways of doing things on the arranger you already have!

Boredom is in your head, not your gear! 🎹

#507788 - 03/01/23 12:35 PM Re: Curiosity on Ketron Event Workstation [Re: Diki]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I completely agree with Diki regarding song specific styles,and you
wouldn`t give your audience the opportunity to guess which song you`re
playing.

#507789 - 03/01/23 01:21 PM Re: Curiosity on Ketron Event Workstation [Re: rattley]
Diki Offline

For me, it’s things like intros and endings, and fills which are SO easily identifiable to one particular song, or ‘kicks’ in the basic pattern that are an obvious pointer to the original song that make these barely usable for anything but the one song they imitate…

I’ve heard some utterly hilarious user demos where someone’s trying to do a different song to a songstyle and it is SO obvious they’re using the grooves, fills and endings (even if they skip the song specific intro) of a totally different well know tune. Honestly, nothing a pro would touch with a ten foot barge pole!

They are put in so amateurs can do a barebones one finger solo of the melody and do a well known song right out of the gate, the day they get it home. But after that, it sits there taking up room in the limited ROM style list, pretty much unused ever again. And there just aren’t enough styles that that much time and effort can be wasted on fluff like that of such limited use.

What would you rather have? Twenty note perfect styles that are good for twenty songs. Or twenty generic styles, good for hundreds of songs? It’s a no brainer…

One other thing about a songstyle though… they are the easiest, laziest style a style creator can ever come up with. Because he needs zero creativity, zero taste, all he does is recreate the original song, and his job is done! Easy peasy, show me the money! 😂💵💵💵

Making a great all round style, with flow and groove and tasty fills, intros and endings, that takes incredible skill, taste and creativity. And here, we might be looking at the real reason why we are seeing more and more songstyles in many arranger’s basic ROM.

Style and creativity cost money…

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online