SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#505051 - 03/02/22 10:43 AM (OT): UPS did a number on me!
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Over the years, we have talked about the use of Fed Ex and UPS. Lots of folks had continuous bad luck with UPS.

As part of my business, we have been shipping marketing SPIFFS(hats, signage, T shirts, jackets, etc) to the tune of about 200 shipments a week....all UPS, with no missed shipments or other problems. We know and like our drivers, although this is a training route,so there are some occasional "learning curves". We have been doing this for over 25 years.

Thing is, these are all soft items.

Yesterday, the floor collapsed under the UPS romance. I have been selling off about 150 of my guitar collection thru a Reverb account. You arrange for shipping thru Reverb.

I just learned that UPS dropped and seriously damaged a silver sparkle double neck Gretsch (baritone/regular six string).

It is finished in a very thick layered paint with sparkles. When it dropped, it cracked the finish under both Bigsby tailpieces.

To further complicate things, these finishes begin to develop a green tinge with exposure to daylight. Matching and blending the finish is almost impossible. Any obvious alterations drop the value about 1/2.

Overall, I've gotten more than anticipated for the units already sold, so "eating" this one isn't so bad. The takeaway is, if you have a problem with UPS, you're in for a fight.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Russ

#505053 - 03/02/22 12:11 PM Re: (OT): UPS did a number on me! [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My first Bose L1 PAS system arrived UPS with an obvious forklift hole punched through the center of the base unit box, in one side and out the other. The driver told me if I opened the box to look at the damage, that meant I accepted the shipment AS IS. I called Bose and they told me to tell the driver to return it to them, and they sent me another, overnight, the next day. This one also had an obvious forklift hole in the box, but in the corner, and base unit was not damaged. I switched to Fedex at that point.

Good luck, Russ,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#505054 - 03/02/22 06:14 PM Re: (OT): UPS did a number on me! [Re: captain Russ]
zuki Offline

Sorry to read this Russ. You have a lot of stuff, so hopefully this will be the lone item. Hope you are doing well my friend. Jim

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#505065 - 03/03/22 10:15 AM Re: (OT): UPS did a number on me! [Re: zuki]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Doing fine, Jim. Proceeds are going to a New Orleans charity project to house displaced musicians. I'll lose about $1200.00. The shame is, this is a silver sparkle finish with flakes. The best painter in the world couldn't match it, and silver sparkle was the only color it was available in.

Oh well, I think I'll try to finish it in Gretsch orange or that pretty pale green. My first good jazz guitar was that green color.

Hope you and crew are doing will.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online