SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#504602 - 12/22/21 02:32 AM Another killer budget keyboard....the Casio CT-S1
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hello,

I have always believed this forum to be a gathering place to exchange views on the merits and faults of aranger keyboards in the first place and subsidiary items next to it.
Over the last few years there has come about a consensus about the fact that we have three top arranger keyboards ( Genos, PA4X and Ketron SD9) which all have their advantages and disadvantages but not doubt are among the best to be had.
Similarly their is broad consensus imho as to the best midranged keyboards such as PA1000, SX900 and SD9, possibly adding the (even cheaper) Roland EA-7. So far so good.....

Recently I blew the trumpet about my upcoming birthday gift ( 70 on Xmas Eve smile which created a bit of a stir , many wondering why I would want to add a 200 dollar keyboard to my set up at home, consisting of SD9 and Korg PA50. I have tried to explain that in another thread and I still stand by those words and by that choice.

As a matter of fact I was faced with a choice between the PSR373 and the Casio CT-S1, another budget keyboard with five octaves, internal amplification, both mains and battery operated. Ultimately I went for the yamaha, but if you are more of a consummate pianist than I am I can definitely recommend to have the Casio alongside for use in private or crammed spaces, for performing outside, etc.etc. Here in Holland they are in the same price range, the casio being slightly more expensive at 220 euros....
In contrast with the PSR373 the Casio does not sport any styles, arpeggios, etc. and "only " 61 sounds, approx. 40 of which can be discarded offhand....But........
For starters the keys and keytouch is incredible and better than the curent midrange arangers such as PA1000 and SX900.
Amplification with bass ports is also unbelievable but the real treasure of this 5 octave fullsized keys keyboard are the acoustic piano, the electric pianos ( especially the DX7s) and the Rhodes. Acoustic guitar is quite good as well, most of the rest should be forgotten straight away. The acoustic piano is better than all the acoustic pianos on the midrange arrangers and possibly on all the top arranger keybaords imho....
Perhaps there will be some of you who might want to take advantage of this info for whatever reason. There are scores and scores of demos etc. on youtube but this one is concise,
to the point , interesting and underlines my views, having had both at home. N.B. skip the first 9 minutes and go straight to approx. 09.00 in the video!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV_SpQsMLbc

regards
John

#504625 - 12/22/21 12:01 PM Re: Another killer budget keyboard....the Casio CT-S1 [Re: john smies]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Actually Yamaha has had something like this for quite a while, which is NP-12 (Piaggero), but, frankly, I think they tried to hard not to make it too good. Then Roland released "Go Piano" (61 keys), with good sounds and 128 polyphony, I think it was and still is a rather nice product. Now Casio joined the club. In fact, I see that they all cost about the same, so I would probably go with Roland myself, looks like it even has some sort of recorded.

#504634 - 12/22/21 11:03 PM Re: Another killer budget keyboard....the Casio CT-S1 [Re: Kabinopus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Sergey,

Take my word for it, and I am talking about personal experiences with all of the ones you mentioned, they do not even come close to the Casio model that I mention !!!!

greetings
John

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online