SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#503094 - 06/10/21 01:53 AM ketron Audya 5 arranger levels / editing
matt07ie Offline

Loc: IRELAND
Hi all,I'm just wondering is there a specific rule of thumb to keep to when in a style editing window, in so that you bring internal drum kit to 63 and bass around 40,
the arrangers volume level sliders where should these be set,I did a little editing and had all the arranger levels up full, then needed more volume to the drums with nothing to give, so if there is a general guide to setting your arrangers volume levels, please share with me, I suppose the most important is your drums and bass, thanks in advance for any advice and help,I have seen people keep volume levels in the middle, but one night I saw a guy give a little tweak to his drums and the drums just went crazy loud altogether,so when editing is wise to keep arranger levels to the top, middle or just below the top? I hope I'm making sense..

#503097 - 06/10/21 09:07 AM Re: ketron Audya 5 arranger levels / editing [Re: matt07ie]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Where are the factory styles set to?

On the whole, most manufacturers carefully gain stage their styles to give the best signal to noise ratio while allowing for quite a bit of headroom. On the whole, you would be well advised to match your style editing to their standards…

#503100 - 06/10/21 06:25 PM Re: ketron Audya 5 arranger levels / editing [Re: Diki]
matt07ie Offline

Thank you so so much for your advice, in fact I never would have thought of this, and what you advise makes a whole lot of sense,
just for example here's a quick rundown on my procedure,
I find a factory style I like and I want to change it to my own liking,
So I hit view edit window and drive my arranger levels up full and in the edit window I bring the internal drum level to 63, and you know writing it here now in text to you I see my mistake,
So to get it right once and for all
Your saying to select a style from its factory presets and take note in
its edit window of the internal volume level settings for the drums bass etc, and set my arranger levels to suit, and use this setting for every style I want to edit and save to my registrations so to avoid volume changes between each style while especially playing live lol,
nothing worse and more embarrassing
giving headroom is another very important factor, more volume on just the drums it's there, the way I was going about it, I would have had no more to give,
have you any factory style in mind I could work off of to use as a starting point, I'm sorry for all the questions as I'm totally confused right now with all this and it's so time consuming, editing all the different parts, intros endings and A B C D, everything done and saved and gone to registration, go and play another style from the factory styles adjust the arranger levels then return to the style you just saved and it's either way too low or too high, oh god give me patience,and the funny thing is once I get the hang of this, ill probably say sure that was easy lol, but yeah it's easy when you know how, thank you very much for answering my post,
await your reply again if you can picture and make sense of all the above 🙄😉

#503107 - 06/11/21 11:07 AM Re: ketron Audya 5 arranger levels / editing [Re: matt07ie]
Diki Offline

On the whole, you want to be able to freely select your own styles or factory styles without worrying about volume jumps.

So matching them to each other makes common sense. Remember, the total headroom of the final output doesn’t just take the style’s output but also whatever you want to play on top of it as well, so jacking the style up reduces overall headroom…

However, remember that a sound’s perceived volume is a combination of how loud the volume is set, PLUS how much velocity each note is set to. You might want to take a look in the edit window of a factory style at what range the velocities of the parts tend to fall into, then look at your styles and see if they are similar. Perhaps you have a very light touch, perhaps a very heavy one… You might find yourself needing to either drop the volume or raise it from where the factory styles are if the velocities differ by much.

Comparison by ear is the only real way to get a match… and don’t forget, a nice quiet ballad style will probably need to be a bit quieter than a heavy rock style! Otherwise, you are back to having to grab the volume or balance knob if you are selecting styles on the fly!

Edited by Diki (06/11/21 11:13 AM)

#503110 - 06/11/21 06:20 PM Re: ketron Audya 5 arranger levels / editing [Re: Diki]
matt07ie Offline

OMG!! you went out of your way to try and explain to me, and it's a lot clearer to me now, driving my arranger volume sliders up full was definately totally and complete madness and stupid, headroom to go up or down is of most importance and your right the ear is a way to go
I may be better off setting up my pa system when doing this than studio monitors,I'll let you know how it all goes, thank you so much.

#503113 - 06/12/21 07:56 AM Re: ketron Audya 5 arranger levels / editing [Re: matt07ie]
Diki Offline

Those guys at the factory know what they are doing, LOL 😂

#503117 - 06/12/21 04:48 PM Re: ketron Audya 5 arranger levels / editing [Re: matt07ie]
matt07ie Offline

Yeah your 100% correct,
the Arranger is just a tool, well I think I have got the hang of it changed some styles and saved to registration abd renamed and ready to rock sounding great through one of my Dynacord 5 speakers so the full set bins and all are going up tomorrow night, so hopefully all goes well, I kept the arranger sliders just around half way and tweaked internal a little, I'll get to the gig early enough maybe do a little more tweaking, so fingers crossed, thanks guys for your very much valued help

#503118 - 06/13/21 09:07 AM Re: ketron Audya 5 arranger levels / editing [Re: matt07ie]
Diki Offline

One thing I’d like to see on arrangers is fader scaling…

That is, the ability to set up what range the full motion of the fader affects the volume (or whatever parameter is assigned to it) of the sound. You are right that sometimes, small movements of the fader are hard to judge accurately while in the heat of playing and you can sometimes get WAY more of a Part than you intended trying to make a small increase.

Being able to set up a ‘live use’ fader scale might allow you to set up say a 10 point volume increase in the travel that would normally, at full scale, get you a 30+ increase. This would make subtle changes easier to perform live, when you don’t have time to rest your hand before you make an adjustment.

Kurzweil’s could do this (probably still can, but I haven’t used a new one lately) and it came in really handy…

#503119 - 06/13/21 10:15 AM Re: ketron Audya 5 arranger levels / editing [Re: Diki]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I feel all this stuff you guys are doing keeps you away from player better. (Your chops) But I need to be honest – in my younger days I was doing the same thing. (smile) Oh Well!

Enjoy, John C.

#503120 - 06/14/21 12:58 PM Re: ketron Audya 5 arranger levels / editing [Re: matt07ie]
Diki Offline

What stuff, Bruno? Unbalanced styles won’t help your chops!

My take has always been, the more attention you pay to making sure the technical side of things is PERFECT with no more than one button push on the gig, the more time you have to spend on your chops and presentation being perfect as well. But having to fiddle with knobs, buttons and sliders while you play can only detract from your attention to your playing chops.

My goal has always been to minimize my interaction with the technology and maximize my attention to just being musical and entertaining. If that takes time at home, I don’t allow that time to take away from my chops practice. I just add to the overall time I take..! 🎹😎

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online