SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#503003 - 06/01/21 08:19 AM Secret Love
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
A change of tempo from the previous two recordings.

This time its the turn of the 'Doris Day' song Secret Love as recorded on my Korg Pa700.

I created the registrations for this song which hopefully fit it well.

Enjoy and please leave any freeback or a thumbs up.

#503015 - 06/02/21 09:29 AM Re: Secret Love [Re: MusicalMemories]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Nice… a favorite of me mum, back in the 50’s! I always had a crush on Doris Day, to this day. ❤️

Can I make a few suggestions?

First would be the saxophone… try VERY hard to not overlap any notes, saxes can only play one at a time! Secondly, try singing along with the sax solo, and where you find yourself HAVING to breathe, let the sax sound stop for the same amount of time! Wind players never taking a breath is one of the dead giveaways it’s a keyboard… 🎹

Next might be where you put fills and go to a higher variation. It’s great to move to a higher variation where you do, for the ‘Now I shouted to the highest hills’ part, but it needs to come back when you get to the last couple of stanzas of that section, the ‘At last my heart’s an open door’ part. That build and ebb is reflected in the words and melody, it would be nice if the backing helped it out, it’s one of the sweetest moments of the song, IMHO

Lastly, I don’t know if you read this off a sheet music or fake book, but you might want to take a listen to Doris one more time. The line you are playing (EDIT at the end of the verse, the rest is fine ) is nothing like the original, and the chords have been changed a bit. Nothing major, but often those fake book transcriptions are pretty bad! The ending of the verse has a nice echo of the line from earlier in the song, seems a shame to lose it!

It’s all small stuff… but often those little details are the things that push something from good to great! Keep on pushing! 🎹😎

Edited by Diki (06/02/21 05:56 PM)
Edit Reason: Missed a line

#503020 - 06/02/21 01:40 PM Re: Secret Love [Re: MusicalMemories]
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
Thanks for the feedback once again which is noted. This was played without the dots.

As you say feedback keeps us motovated.

#503032 - 06/03/21 05:17 PM Re: Secret Love [Re: MusicalMemories]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thank you for sharing. Have always loved that tune and the movie it was in.
Shows my age .haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online