SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#488743 - 02/07/20 01:40 PM Question for Roland Guys
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I've been working on consolodating my Sounds and Styles on my BK9. KISS method. Somthing I've wondered about for awhile. EX> I really like the Supernatural PureVintage EP2 sound and want ot make it my goto EP for a number of Styles. However when I use it in different Styles it sounds different even with the same EQ and MFX settings. On some it will not respond at all to the EQ or MFX adjustments. The control sliders do nothing. I've got to be missing something simple. Any ideas ???

#488744 - 02/07/20 02:20 PM Re: Question for Roland Guys [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Supernatural sounds are behavior modeling and do not use the same parameters as PCM sounds.

If you view the Integra7 you can see the difference in edits.

#488745 - 02/07/20 02:40 PM Re: Question for Roland Guys [Re: Bill Lewis]
Crossover Offline

I wouldn't use SuperNatural acoustic sounds as style parts, it's hard to control how they behave in preprogrammed styles, and they can easily create polyphony problems. I'd use them only for live parts.

#488746 - 02/07/20 02:45 PM Re: Question for Roland Guys [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Fran I have no idea what your talking about LOL !! Sometimes they respond to EQ and MFX and some Styles they don't . Looked up the Integra7, now I want one, 5000 Supernatural Sounds WOW !. I'm trying to simplify everything, getting very tired of programming. All I want to know is how to make them consistent across my Styles as some are very good. I took a hint from something you posted long ago about having your Rhythm Section the same so I tried to use the same Drum Set for all the Styles. Mostly worked with some editing.

Crossover I should of been clearer. I only use the Supernaturals for my RH solo live parts as you do, not in the actual sounds of the Style.

Edited by Bill Lewis (02/07/20 02:53 PM)

#488747 - 02/07/20 03:35 PM Re: Question for Roland Guys [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

+1 on what Fran said cool2

#488748 - 02/07/20 04:16 PM Re: Question for Roland Guys [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
+1 on what Fran said cool2

Thanks Donny but I still don't understand. Can the Supernatural Sounds be made to sound the same in different Styles ? Yes / No / I don't Know / Call Roland / buy a Yamaha ( no I won't )
Appreciate the responses but sorry for my confusion.

#488749 - 02/07/20 04:18 PM Re: Question for Roland Guys [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

BIll...

Supernatural sounds are behavior modeling
and do not use the same parameters as PCM sounds.

#488750 - 02/07/20 05:23 PM Re: Question for Roland Guys [Re: Bill Lewis]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Bill, i think what they're saying is, don't choose Supernatural sounds to revoice your styles, because the result is unpredictable. The BK-9 has TONS of sounds. I would find a basic one that comes close, and then use the style MFX and EQ to tweak it to what you want.

One of the challenges I encountered in programming my own Roland styles from scratch is the "Retrigger" behavior. Every other brand has an explicit parameter that will force the arranger to retrigger a note if the chord is changed during a sustained period in the original pattern. Roland doesn't have this parameter (or at least not one that is user accessible.)

Of course you can force a retrigger by using sync stop and sync start (style playback will end when you release the chord, and then restart at measure 1 beat 1.) But sometimes it's not desirable to stop all of the tracks. By experimenting around, Diki and I determined that a retrigger parameter is embedded in at least some of the sound patches. When I revoiced my homemade style with a different organ patch, it retriggered reliably. Weird. Other than trial-and-error, I still don't know in advance which patches will retrigger, and which won't.

One of these days I'm gonna get my hands on an E-A7 and really dig into the sound sample editing. It has much more control in this area than any other recent Roland arranger (Not sure about the VA-series.) I love the factory sounds on the BK-9, but I want to learn and experiment. Then I'll understand how Roland PCM sounds are built, and hopefully gain some insight.

Meanwhile I'm following this thread. Maybe Fran or another knowledgeable user will elaborate and enlighten us both!

Edited by TedS (02/07/20 05:30 PM)

#488771 - 02/08/20 07:30 AM Re: Question for Roland Guys [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks TEDS but as I said, I'm not trying to put the SuperNatural sounds into the Styles but just use them for my RH UP1 & UP2 parts. I get that they are a different type of sound "Bit" but why they sometimes won't respond to EQ or MFX which are downstream in the signal path is the mystery.
I'll either have to live witht eh drawbacks or as you said find other suitable sounds to use. And yes there are many on the BK9

#488806 - 02/08/20 01:09 PM Re: Question for Roland Guys [Re: Crossover]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Crossover
I wouldn't use SuperNatural acoustic sounds as style parts, it's hard to control how they behave in preprogrammed styles, and they can easily create polyphony problems. I'd use them only for live parts.

Indon’t see this...

In a style it will sound exactly the same each time you play the track
As there is no randomness in the behaviour..

I am a huge fan of Roland SN sounds..
I don’t see how using them in a style is wrong..
if the behaviour is not what you want, just change the midi data..

There are no other polyphony rules for SN sounds then for PCM sounds..

My jupiter 80 has 10 SN sounds for keyboard parts and full 256 part polyphony..
So no polyphony limitations for SN parts

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online