SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#476050 - 09/15/19 11:14 AM The "Buzz" About Bose Compact?
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
I have had a Bose Compact for 10 or more years. A year or two after it went out of warranty, I started hearing crackling and sputtering from the XLR/mic channel. Forced me to stop using that channel for my sax. Since then, I have just run everything through a mixer and used only the guitar channel of the Compact with the other channel volume turned off.

Since I was out of warranty I didn't contact Bose. I have since seen several posts on the internet regarding others with the same problem. I am at a position where I would be willing to send this off to a Bose service center if I thought they could actually fix the problem. Hate to spend a ton of money on an "attempted repair" and get it back w/the same problem.

Anyone have issues with their compact like this? I've tried with and without a mic connected to the XLR channel.... doesn't make any difference. As soon as you turn up the volume, the crackling starts. Rotating the volume control doesn't seem to cause it so I am pretty sure there is no dust or deposits in the potentiometer.

Any suggestions regarding what I should do or where I might send this thing? I know I can contact Bose and get the service center list - wondering if anyone here has good/bad experience w/any of them?

Thanks for any insights. Love the Bose sound - just wish I had both channels working.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#476051 - 09/15/19 11:23 AM Re: The "Buzz" About Bose Compact? [Re: saxxman]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have crackling, but only when I move the volume knob, probably dirty potentiometer. I have no idea how to fix that.

#476052 - 09/15/19 11:25 AM Re: The "Buzz" About Bose Compact? [Re: saxxman]
saxxman Offline

Thanks Bernie - if you have crackling when moving the knob, pull the knob off and spray "color cleaner" or "contact cleaner" around the shaft of the control. Rotate the control back and forth several times. That will usually clear out the noise when you are moving the knob.

My problem is the crackling starts and continues regardless of knob movement.

Thanks for reading - good luck w/the noise in your control!

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#476054 - 09/15/19 12:11 PM Re: The "Buzz" About Bose Compact? [Re: saxxman]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thanks Randy

I hope your fix is as easy as mine.

Bernie

#476055 - 09/15/19 12:28 PM Re: The "Buzz" About Bose Compact? [Re: saxxman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If you send it to Bose, for any reason, they will completely rebuild it and it will be like new when you get it back. There is a set price for repairs. They do it very quickly too.

#476056 - 09/15/19 12:34 PM Re: The "Buzz" About Bose Compact? [Re: saxxman]
saxxman Offline

Thanks Don! Will check it out! There are so many "locals" involved in warranty repair - I will try to find one of the official Bose places and drop it at one of them.

#476076 - 09/15/19 05:47 PM Re: The "Buzz" About Bose Compact? [Re: saxxman]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Randy,
Send it directly to Bose - skip the middle man for any Bose repairs.

Deane

#476079 - 09/15/19 06:38 PM Re: The "Buzz" About Bose Compact? [Re: saxxman]
saxxman Offline

Deane - thanks! I am driving to MD in a week or so....think I'll take it along as I will be passing through several pretty good size cities...will check out the list and find a real Bose factory service center.

#476297 - 09/19/19 08:00 PM Re: The "Buzz" About Bose Compact? [Re: saxxman]
saxxman Offline

Thanks DonM and Deane! Great info! Called BOSE today. They will turn the repair on my Compact back to me in 3 weeks from the day I drop it at UPS...also, the rate includes the shipping both ways! Before I was off the phone they emailed me the shipping label!

Worth every penny - he said they will completely check it out and even if I need a new speaker or two they will be replaced as well...

Did I say....

THANKS DonM and Deane!

clap

#476302 - 09/19/19 09:25 PM Re: The "Buzz" About Bose Compact? [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Wonderful when you ask a question, and friends come forth to help.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online