SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#474863 - 08/22/19 09:50 PM a real class act jazz/Gypsy video
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Someone posted this a while back. I was never much into jazz until I watched this video. I already knew of Frank Vignola because he plays Gypsy. Saw him live on Sunday at a large concert in my area. I didn't know Wynton Marsalis played so tastefully. By coincidence, he's playing in my area in early Sept, so I'll see him live also.

Besides this incredible music they're doing, I'm also impressed with the dress code...jackets and ties. They not only sound like professional musicians, they look the part.

BTW....this video is why I've been studying jazz chords and runs out of my jazz book for the last few weeks. I must have watched it 1/2 dozen times by now. I'm becoming an avid jazz fan.

#474871 - 08/23/19 12:22 AM Re: a real class act jazz/Gypsy video [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I never could understand jazz when I was younger but now apart from really extreme jazz I love it, thanks for posting

#474872 - 08/23/19 12:27 AM Re: a real class act jazz/Gypsy video [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#474873 - 08/23/19 02:33 AM Re: a real class act jazz/Gypsy video [Re: Mark79100]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Fantastic. I grew up listening to Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli playing gyspy jazz. I even got to see Stephane live in concert before he died. He was unbelievable and was touring with a bunch of younger guitar players who had obviously studied Django's playing a lot.

#474874 - 08/23/19 02:38 AM Re: a real class act jazz/Gypsy video [Re: Nigel]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Checkout Andreas Oberg who is a stellar Gypsy Jazz guitarist. I heard him play at Winter NAMM in Anaheim a few years back. Actually both guitarists nail it.

#474876 - 08/23/19 05:30 AM Re: a real class act jazz/Gypsy video [Re: Mark79100]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Jazz has the ability to cross boundaries and to mix genres... and it comes in several very great varieties. I don't like them all but for the most part, Jazz is "where it's at" for me. Wish I had the talent most of these folks possess!

Thanks, guys.

#474878 - 08/23/19 06:36 AM Re: a real class act jazz/Gypsy video [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I had two weddings on the same day; I asked my guitar teacher if would cover for me – he said yes.
During a break I went into the room he was playing in, I was shocked. It was a wedding, and what his band consisted of was his guitar, bass, drums, and a violin player. No brass, no woodwinds, and no rock guitar.

The dance floor was packed, and the applause was loud.
I hope this topic continues, John C.

PS, Mark, great post.

#474882 - 08/23/19 07:57 AM Re: a real class act jazz/Gypsy video [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Mark79100
Someone posted this a while back. I was never much into jazz until I watched this video. I already knew of Frank Vignola because he plays Gypsy. Saw him live on Sunday at a large concert in my area. I didn't know Wynton Marsalis played so tastefully. By coincidence, he's playing in my area in early Sept, so I'll see him live also.

Besides this incredible music they're doing, I'm also impressed with the dress code...jackets and ties. They not only sound like professional musicians, they look the part.

BTW....this video is why I've been studying jazz chords and runs out of my jazz book for the last few weeks. I must have watched it 1/2 dozen times by now. I'm becoming an avid jazz fan.

Watching this video... I could not help thinking about my first real band.. They were all seasoned players, and at the time I did not realize, they were some of the best I would know in my lifetime smile

Walt Sedden on guitar was an equal to the great guitar player in the video. Walt Russel was the drummer (I learned to appreciate brushes).
Rob Filer was our sax player (Rob was a few years older than I. Myself 18). And Bob Gough on Bass and our vocalist.

Great memories... I also remember my $12 a night pay as the House band for the plush Golden Horse Inn. grin

Oh yeah!!! I played accordion smirk

#474883 - 08/23/19 08:02 AM Re: a real class act jazz/Gypsy video [Re: Mark79100]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Despite the low pay, Fran... I'll bet you loved every minute of it. Would have enjoyed the opportunity to have a front row seat.

All the best, ----Dave

#474892 - 08/23/19 11:16 AM Re: a real class act jazz/Gypsy video [Re: Riceroni9]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Rory Hoffman's main group is a Gypsy jazz group. They play all around Nashville and come to Lexington for appearances on the Woodsongs old time music hour.

I play a Selmer MacAfee copy jazz guitar (the one played by a 2nd poster above with an acoustic group when the book it.

FUN STUFF!

R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online