SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#471030 - 06/11/19 06:18 AM Sheet music display - future feature
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY

#471031 - 06/11/19 06:34 AM Re: Sheet music display - future feature [Re: Jerryghr]
Dnj Offline

Nice find.............prescription too?

or you could just memorize the songs and lyrics...?

wearing those weird glasses and a headset mic
you would look like something out of Startrek on stage. rotf2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/...-computing.html

Attachments
unnamed.jpg

Edited by Dnj (06/11/19 08:21 AM)

#471032 - 06/11/19 06:40 AM Re: Sheet music display - future feature [Re: Jerryghr]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
At 640x360 resolution, it would have to be a later version to view sheet music with good quality - but an interesting idea!

-Jim

#471039 - 06/11/19 09:17 AM Re: Sheet music display - future feature [Re: Dnj]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

wearing those weird glasses and a headset mic
you would look like something out of Startrek on stage.

I am the Locubus of Korg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile!! :-D

#471041 - 06/11/19 09:45 AM Re: Sheet music display - future feature [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

you would look like something out of Startrek on stage. rotf2

Looks pretty good to me.

Jerryghr

Attachments
Glasses.jpg

#471042 - 06/11/19 09:52 AM Re: Sheet music display - future feature [Re: Jerryghr]
Dnj Offline

and just in case you have multi page charts....
Stereo Wide-View Viewer for charts
Designed to take up where most viewers leave off.
surprised

Attachments
51kzV+h0LKL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Dnj (06/11/19 09:53 AM)

#471044 - 06/11/19 10:19 AM Re: Sheet music display - future feature [Re: Jerryghr]
Jerryghr Offline

Analog to digital: Cornell conductor tries to modernize the orchestra with Google Glass

Classical music doesn’t have a need for modern technology. Instruments have been built for centuries, scores print just fine on paper, and concert seating gives patrons a good enough perspective on the orchestra as it is. But while classical music may not need technology, Cynthia Turner, a conductor and a professor at Cornell, is trying to turn many of those assumptions on their head using Google Glass. "It could be a game changer for anyone who needs two hands to do something," Turner told reporters on Friday.

Glass could replace stands and sheet music
Turner is energetic about her job, even calling out "forte" — the musical term for playing loudly — when she needs someone to speak up. It’s a liveliness that makes her vision of the orchestra’s future come off as fairly compelling. She paints an image of musicians all wearing Google’s headsets, no stands or scores cluttering their chamber, the composer’s point of view broadcast on a screen above them, and intermittent notes of text appearing on screen to explain to patrons what’s happening in a given musical movement.
And she’s already started to do some of it. Turner has replaced program guides with digital projections, and recently she’s begun trying to livestream her point of view as a conductor onto a screen above the orchestra as well. "They’ll occasionally see my baton, or my hands, or my music," Turner said. "But more importantly, they would see the musicians who are making all the sounds."
There have been a few problems so far. Because conductors are physically expressive by necessity, a lot of jerky movement can easily show up in the video and cause motion sickness for viewers. "When I’m making a video, I have to curb my enthusiasm," Turner said. The other issue is latency: a half-second lag on a video chat may not mean much, but in a concert, that’s an entire bar of music. It ends up looking, Turner said, "like a poorly dubbed Japanese dinosaur film."
Broadcasting a conductor’s point of view isn’t exactly enabled by Glass, though — it would have been possible years ago with much cheaper technology — now it’s just a bit simpler. But Turner’s real vision for Glass begins with apps.

Building a new style of music notation around Glass

Working with Tyler Ehrlich, an undergraduate student at the university, Turner has been developing apps that could replace music stands and sheet music altogether. "The whole idea of a music stand that is black and thick ... to get rid of that is very exciting," Turner said.

"It’s just you and the musician." A basic version of their app might just scroll notes by for the musician as they’re meant to be played, but Turner and Ehrlich have a far bigger vision: to create an entirely new method of music notation for the 21st century.

Edited by Jerryghr (06/11/19 10:22 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online