SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#469646 - 05/05/19 03:21 PM Why only one USB port on the PSR S series?
DannyUK Offline

As much as I am enjoying the S975, I can't help but think why Yamaha couldn't be bothered to add a second USB port or an SD Slot. Just feels a little lazy of them.

#469648 - 05/05/19 04:22 PM Re: Why only one USB port on the PSR S series? [Re: DannyUK]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I agree, Danny:

I'd like to see another near the front of the machine on my S970. You can purchase a USB "Splitter" to add another four memory sticks or other USB devices but it isn't very convenient.

#469649 - 05/05/19 09:20 PM Re: Why only one USB port on the PSR S series? [Re: Riceroni9]
Bachus Offline

Actually the answer is budget...

To make money on these keyboards, they are on a tight budget
They often cut everything thats isn’t totally necessary..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#469650 - 05/06/19 05:48 AM Re: Why only one USB port on the PSR S series? [Re: DannyUK]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Your answer is logical, Bachus:

Budgets are important. I wish my Government would stick to a budget and "live within it''s means" like I must do. The thing about budgets in Corporations (coming from a corporate background) is that they are meant to maximize profit and minimize waste.

At the prices Yamaha charges for it's "high-end" models, Genos, Tyros and the PSR-S series of machines, increased sales enhanced by features that would not break the budget would more than offset the cost of cheap USB ports... in my opinion. Not being a Yamaha "insider" I cannot prove or disprove my theory... but I suspect they could easily incorporate such a minor improvement in their future models. As Donny would say, "Just Saying!" LOL!

Regards, ----Dave

#469651 - 05/06/19 06:44 AM Re: Why only one USB port on the PSR S series? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

ketron SD9 etc...has this all covered...

3 USB Hosts for connection to external USB devices such as Pen drives, HD etc.

Attachments
sd9_usb.jpg

#469653 - 05/06/19 08:17 AM Re: Why only one USB port on the PSR S series? [Re: DannyUK]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Why do you need more than one USB slot? The size of the memory sticks today provides more storage memory than anyone could possible use. I have a 3-gig thumb drive that holds 55,000 style files, several thousand midi files and more than 600 pages of lyrics. The drive is not even 1/4 filled. Oh, I almost forgot, there are dozens of mp3s as well.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#469679 - 05/07/19 04:22 AM Re: Why only one USB port on the PSR S series? [Re: DannyUK]
DannyUK Offline

Thank you guys for your responses.

Gary, to answer your question, my reason for wanting at least two USB's (especially in the absence of a HD or Micro SD) is for backup purposes (and also easier file transferring), for example if after constant usage of USB1 it's bound to start wearing down and could cause connection defects, then you're pretty much in a spot of bother, so having a second USB port would go some way to reassure you always have two main methods of access. I know a lot of disk usage isn't really required for Midi or Styles (I don't tend to use MP3's a lot), but for each time I need to add new styles or port them over to or from another keyboard (eg, my T4) its wear and tear. Also I use those tiny mini pen drives (16gb max I think) as I don't want anything sticking too far out risking getting accidentally knocked.

I know there's also the USB to Host port, but I presume that's just so you can use your laptop (or PC) to do the file transferring for you, which can be a hassle.

Edited by DannyUK (05/07/19 04:34 AM)

#469685 - 05/07/19 07:34 AM Re: Why only one USB port on the PSR S series? [Re: DannyUK]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Danny, mine is for backup purposes as well, plus it stores the style files that I use and linked to both registrations and MFD files. It has been inserted thousands of times over the years and has never shown signs of wear. From my experience, it would be difficult to wear the socket in the keyboard out, but I guess that could eventually happen.

The only other option you have is a splitter, which is readily available on line and in most PC stores.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#469690 - 05/07/19 08:15 AM Re: Why only one USB port on the PSR S series? [Re: DannyUK]
DannyUK Offline

Thank you Gary I will take a look smile

#469691 - 05/07/19 08:20 AM Re: Why only one USB port on the PSR S series? [Re: DannyUK]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I just wish Yamaha put the usb slot on the players side of the keyboard. Would that really cost more money?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online