SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#467276 - 03/09/19 03:28 PM Old function missing on Arrangers ?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Maybe I've missed something but after my post in Don's thread about the greatest album it made me think of this. I said I thought an Arranger was too stiff to do Jerry Lee type of loose rhythm R&R. My old Roland CR80 drum machine (wish I still had it ) had a "feel" function which would ,slightly vary the beats. I think others had it too and maybe called it "Humanize"
Anything like this on our Arrangers and if not I wonder why ? Nice feature.

#467277 - 03/09/19 04:58 PM Re: Old function missing on Arrangers ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill, my technics Kn1000 (circa 1991 - 1992) had a "Dynamic Accompaniment" button that changed the rhythm pattern based on the velocity and expression of the notes being played ... I have no idea why they discontinued that feature ...

#467278 - 03/09/19 05:02 PM Re: Old function missing on Arrangers ? [Re: tony mads usa]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill you have dynamic arranger on your BK9's.

#467279 - 03/09/19 05:17 PM Re: Old function missing on Arrangers ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
The dynamic arranger on Rolands varies the relative volume of the accompaniment parts based on how hard you play the keys in the chord section. So I guess Roland's implementation is pretty close to what the KN's was. A nice feature with a lot of room for creativity, but there's nothing random or loose about it.

Korg has a feature used when RECORDING guitar tracks for styles or pads, called "humanize guitar" that's similar to what Bill asked about. But I only think it affects the recording, I think playback would be the same every time.

Also the Tyros 5 and Genos have a "humanize" parameter (random timing) on their ensemble voices. Of course these are RH voices, not the style.

Edited by TedS (03/09/19 05:29 PM)

#467280 - 03/09/19 05:26 PM Re: Old function missing on Arrangers ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Fran
I know that but I'm not referring to volume control with key velocity , which is a cool thing, but being able to set a random slight variation in the beat. Why did Roland drop it?
. The CR80s function was subtle unless turned all the way up. It also had volume control via midi with your left hand whether doing bass or chords.
If anyone sees,one for sale let me know. Like to use it with my FP90. I had two at one time. Then again I had two of everything

#467305 - 03/10/19 10:09 AM Re: Old function missing on Arrangers ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Fran
I know that but I'm not referring to volume control with key velocity , which is a cool thing, but being able to set a random slight variation in the beat. Why did Roland drop it?
. The CR80s function was subtle unless turned all the way up. It also had volume control via midi with your left hand whether doing bass or chords.
If anyone sees,one for sale let me know. Like to use it with my FP90. I had two at one time. Then again I had two of everything

Bill maybe Roland dropped it because the style composer is much more sophisticated.

Here are some things you may not have tried..

First you could record your song as a midi data (style play) save as a SMF.. load into a midi editor (GNMIDI) select humanize and resave the SMF.. If you like the not up to par drummer, or bass player. it is perfect for that average band sound smile

The better way, use the Rhythm composer.. My example is the G70 but most likely everything is also on the BK9 (although the G70 is faster to use). Most styles use 4-8 drum patterns in a style.. for a 3 minute song it is usually enough.. but the G70 (maybe the BK9 too) can use 54 patterns in a style.. A pattern can be assigned to the 4 variations,6 fills, 4 intros and 4 endings. You can however assign a pattern to a specific chord (7th) this combined with a punch in record of a 3 or 4 note walking bass can make all the difference for lead into chord changes..

Another composer option "shift clock" .. you can have the drummer drive a bit or maybe the bass player lay back a bit..

And copy from another style any arranger parts at specific locations... you can make your style sound the way you want the band to play.. grin

#467309 - 03/10/19 12:02 PM Re: Old function missing on Arrangers ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I think if Jerry Lee Lewis used an arranger keyboard and knew what we know about them, he would have been even a greater hit. Can you picture what he could have added?

My friend Ed uses his Yamaha to do just that -- clown around and not be too serious – it makes them get involved.
John C.

#467338 - 03/11/19 07:50 AM Re: Old function missing on Arrangers ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

"I think if Jerry Lee Lewis used an arranger keyboard and knew what we know about them, he would have been even a greater hit. Can you picture what he could have added?
Bruno
Yea i'd love to see JLL play a Genos with his feelt and then set it on fire !!

Fran
Thanks for the suggestions but all that is defiantly out of my wheelhouse. I'm really getting away from programming and more into just playing, basically piano. I currently and using 74 Styles for my song lists so it would take forever. While working on the JLL riffs on my FP90 I though it would be great to practice them with some drums. Got my BK9 going with just drums and played along. Thats when I though of my old CR80 Drum machine with the feel function. The BK9 was too perfect. Why not just an adjustment in the Global Setting where you set the master EQ and Compression. Call it Feel, Humanize, Random or Sloppiness, I don't care but it should be a simple thing to program into the system.

#467353 - 03/11/19 11:17 AM Re: Old function missing on Arrangers ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
"
Fran
Thanks for the suggestions but all that is defiantly out of my wheelhouse. I'm really getting away from programming and more into just playing, basically piano.

Bill ... I'm with you on this ... I believe you and I were just talking about a feature on the KB that could be activated with the push of a button ... like that which was on some older models ...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online