SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#463625 - 12/22/18 07:20 AM Fun playing without styles....
Dnj Offline

cool2

Edited by Dnj (12/22/18 08:46 AM)

#463627 - 12/22/18 08:17 AM Re: Yes, fun playing without styles.....enjoy [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
He's still playing over a pre-programmed accompaniment, so what's your point? Not being smart, just don't understand. Playing over an mp3 or a midi file is even less challenging than playing with styles - no chance of hitting a bad chord (in the accompaniment) and even a mediocre player is going to sound decent if the accompaniment track is good.

But seriously, if you listen to the raw energy in the original Al Green version, you'll see (hear/feel) why these type of performances are never able to compete with the magic of musicians interacting with each other in real time. JMO.

chas

#463629 - 12/22/18 08:45 AM Re: Yes, fun playing without styles.....enjoy [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Why did I think you especially would enjoy this performance Chas?...
I am not singling you out alone..but,I give up, what's the use anymore?....this is becoming a judgmental forum of hugh proportions & really losing the spirit of sharing music between players for sure.
For example Terrysutt posted a few songs and not one person out of
109+ except me replied what a shame not the first time either,
...no wonder no one wants to share music here,
but there is no shortage of judgmental comments.

"Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones"

Edited by Dnj (12/22/18 09:16 AM)

#463630 - 12/22/18 08:58 AM Re: Yes, fun playing without styles.....enjoy [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Good song, I enjoyed it.

#463633 - 12/22/18 09:45 AM Re: Yes, fun playing without styles.....enjoy [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Sorry I disappointed you Donny. I've heard a lot of Frank's tunes. He's a very competent player and I always enjoy his choice of tunes (a lot of 60-70's R&B - jazzed up) but for me (and ONLY speaking for me) there is a 'sameness' about most of his tunes.
They're all well played and enjoyable, just not EXCITING, to me anyway, but hey, that's just my opinion which is no more valid than anyone else's. I'm not going to put up glowing reviews just because someone EXPECTS me to like something.

As far as people not responding to someone's music post, sure, it's nice to see a show of support but that's a forum members individual decision. A lot of people don't respond unless they have something to say, positive OR negative. You will probably get more responses when people ASK to be critiqued. Our responses (or lack thereof) should not reflect how much we like the poster but how we feel about the post/performance. You can save yourself a lot of grief by not posting something with EXPECTATIONS.

Happy holidays,

chas

#463640 - 12/22/18 11:01 AM Re: Yes, fun playing without styles.....enjoy [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
He's still playing over a pre-programmed accompaniment, so what's your point? Not being smart, just don't understand. Playing over an mp3 or a midi file is even less challenging than playing with styles - no chance of hitting a bad chord (in the accompaniment) and even a mediocre player is going to sound decent if the accompaniment track is good.

But seriously, if you listen to the raw energy in the original Al Green version, you'll see (hear/feel) why these type of performances are never able to compete with the magic of musicians interacting with each other in real time. JMO.

chas

True...

But a whole band does not fit in my home studio..
Neither will any of Donny’s regular gigs be prepared to pay for a whole band..

Altough, i find myself more and more playing piano on top of just a drumbeat or even witouth....

http://keyszone.boards.net

#463647 - 12/22/18 01:15 PM Re: Yes, fun playing without styles.....enjoy [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

But a whole band does not fit in my home studio..
Neither will any of Donny’s regular gigs be prepared to pay for a whole band..

Bachus, Frank is not an arranger player or a member of this forum so this was posted, I guess, as just a YT performance that Donny liked (I've done that, and so have you) or that he thought some members of this forum would like (and I'm sure SOME did). Nothing wrong with that. Also nothing wrong with someone commenting on it. There have many YT postings that people have commented on, both positively and negatively, so that's nothing new. Are we supposed to gush over every non-specific YT performance that someone decides to post. There are literally millions of such performances out there on YT, some good, some bad, some in-between. The point is, because someone THINKS we are going to like something doesn't always mean we will. We also need to guard against becoming so addicted to positive feedback that there is no room for any other type of comment. JMO.

chas

#463649 - 12/22/18 02:03 PM Re: Yes, fun playing without styles.....enjoy [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Styles, Mp3, SMf who cares. The dude can play and uses his instrument well. Different drawbar combos and some nice EP to break things up . Thats my kind of music and I really liked it. Keyboard sounds great.
People are amazed and entertained by guitar players with loopers. So whats the big deal if they're playing over some simple tracks they lay down ( and which are locked in ) or a keyboard guy playing over some tracks. I bet this guy could play soulfully over a band too but he does a great job with the track.
Thanks for posting, gave me a break from all the Christmas music. Give us more.

#463650 - 12/22/18 02:28 PM Re: Fun playing without styles.... [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#463662 - 12/23/18 01:37 AM Re: Fun playing without styles.... [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
This thread has reminded me that more isn't always better. I mean that the musician has much more latitude to be creative with simple, unadorned backing. This is nothing new, but something I had lost sight of.

Bernie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online