SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#456698 - 08/22/18 07:59 PM Good news - bad news
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Two years ago, the doctors gave me one to two years to live. I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis due to asbestosis. My asbestos exposure took place when I was just 18 years old and in the US Navy aboard the USS Newport News (CA-148), a heavy cruiser with a peacetime crew of about 1,700. As a young man, I, along with many others, were often given what we referred to as shit jobs, one of which was removing asbestos from steam pipes and replacing it with new asbestos. At the time, no one knew just how deadly this stuff was, therefore, we didn't wear any protective gear. There were times when the asbestos dust was so thick that I could not see the person 10 feet away grinding the asbestos off the steam pipes. I only did this for two weeks, but the exposure was intense during that time.

Two days ago, I visited my pulmonary doctor, had some pulmonary function tests performed, and the test revealed that with the new, and very expensive medications I am now on, my airways have opened up a bit and I have a small, but significant improvement in air flow and the ability to diffuse oxygen into my bloodstream. Unfortunately, my residual lung volume has decreased by 40 percent during the past six months since I went on this medication. While my vital capacity has not really improved by much, I can breathe a little easier, which makes life a bit better for this 77 year old fart.

I have been having serious thoughts about taking my boat south this coming October to the Florida Keys and the Dry Tortugas and spending the winter in the land of sunshine, swaying palm trees, sugar white sand, turquoise colored waters and Jimmy Buffett music. When I told the doctor about this he said "Mr Diamond, keep on trucking while you can still keep on trucking. I see far too many patients that are in your situation that get the news about their lung condition, then sit in a recliner and watch TV until they die a year later. I would urge you do make the trip." Well, this is the good news.

The bad news is that I will be spending a lot less time on the Internet and the various forums, including this one. Yes, I will check in from time to time, but not three times a day as I have done over these many years. I'll be on the boat, getting it ready for the trip, fixing minor things that need fixing, and just watching the world go by from the deck of the boat, which is a nice way to watch the sun go down every evening.

So, if you don't see me around here very often, don't despair - I ain't dead yet! You can still email me if you have some questions about your Yamaha arranger keyboards, and I will do my level best to come up with a solution to your problems.

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (08/22/18 08:00 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#456703 - 08/22/18 09:41 PM Re: Good news - bad news [Re: travlin'easy]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Gary I'll miss your posts. But tomorrow isn't promised to any one of us. Do what YOU want to do, while you can. I was diagnosed with melanoma skin cancer, and for a while I was really depressed.
A good friend and life coach told me, "Dont just run from what you fear, run to what you love!"

If you undertake the journey, Godspeed and safe travels! But when you get there, you have to give us your best cover of "Jack Sparrow" (as featuring Michael Bolton) ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY

#456704 - 08/22/18 10:20 PM Re: Good news - bad news [Re: travlin'easy]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Go for it Gary, 'keep on truckin' young man!
We only live once (as far as I know). Your beloved sailboat and the clima in Florida is probably a real good medicine as well.
All the best wishes from The West Coast of Norway.
rocker
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#456705 - 08/22/18 10:44 PM Re: Good news - bad news [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
All the very best Gary, you'll be missed. Col

#456706 - 08/23/18 12:26 AM Re: Good news - bad news [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

I can only say, enjoy your trip and the warm sun.
Winters in general are no good or old bones..

Sailing around Florida sounds like a much better idea thenpoking around internet forums..

By the way, 1700 man on a cruiser, thats huge...
As you might know i still work for he dutch navy and our current light cruisers have a crew of about 200 depending on missions...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#456707 - 08/23/18 12:38 AM Re: Good news - bad news [Re: travlin'easy]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Gary. Do you have room for an even older fart to be on board....Ha!!!

#456708 - 08/23/18 03:12 AM Re: Good news - bad news [Re: Graham UK]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, keep going, being active is so important. In the last three years I have learned that State-of-Mind is #1. You seem to have both going for you; good for you, you have been blessed my friend.

If the world followed Gary Diamond’s way of helping others and handling his medical issues it would be a happier/better/joyful place to live. Enjoy your trip, and focus on your giving past.

Gary my prays will be there for you, John C.

#456712 - 08/23/18 04:24 AM Re: Good news - bad news [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Bon Voyage buddy....

#456714 - 08/23/18 05:17 AM Re: Good news - bad news [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Its been a while since I heard the expression, "Shit Detail"... and I understand it well, fellow Sailor. I'm not sure exactly how I would respond to such news... but I suspect you've been preparing for this part of "life's Journey" for quite some time.

Bon Voyage, my friend. We've never met but the "bond of friendship" is there. You are one of the most interesting and kind members here and I will miss your delightful or informative posts. Always remember, miracles can happen.

Dave

#456716 - 08/23/18 06:06 AM Re: Good news - bad news [Re: travlin'easy]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
See you in Port Salerno!
Eddie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online