SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#452032 - 05/16/18 08:54 PM Checked out the Genos.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I finally had a chance to play the Genos. I visited Don Patterson at his new home in Lufkin, TX. He and Emmy even bought my lunch! smile
My impression of the Genos was mixed. I played with it for about 4 to 5 hours. I'll start by saying it is by far the best arranger Yamaha has ever made, as it should be.
There are a lot of great features and things to like. I like the 76 keys, the sliders and knobs and the beautiful big touch screen. I like that it finally has a joystick instead of wheels. I like that it has a nice "songbook" type feature, called Playlist. The drums are better than previous Yamahas, as well as the vocal harmonizer and mic processing. VH still has a slight interruption when turning it on while you are singing a note, but not as bad as previous models.
There are some nice new styles. Loved the key touch; maybe my favorite thing about the whole thing. Like the phantom power switch on the back instead of in a menu. Easy access to USB ports. OS seems better and easier to navigate than previous models.
Sudden thought: I already had all this stuff on the Korg PA4X, except I had the 61 model.
A few things I didn't much like:
Most of the OTS settings were not the right volume. There were some good new voices, but most sounded pretty much the same to me.
My S970 Registrations would not load into it. (The styles and songs would play and sounded great.)
It's smaller than T5, but still big. I suppose with the 76 keys it has to be though.
I would much prefer an adjustable screen, rather than fixed.
Drums still don't sound as "LIVE" as Ketron, Roland or Korg. These are my opinions though.
The style categories have been changed and styles rearranged, many in seemingly illogical places. How hard would it be to let us arrange the styles in whatever locations we would like? You could do this to an extent as long ago as PSR8000!!
Would I like to have one? Sure, but not for the price you have to pay, and I truly think I would rather have the PA4X, or the SD7/9, even if they were the same price.
Maybe I'll just keep playing the S970 and wait for PA5X, if I live that long! smile
Don was nice to let me change e.q. settings, mic reverb and a few other things to my taste. He has probably already changed it all back! smile
Thanks Don and Emmy!! As I said, there is a lot to like, but it didn't light my fire enough to order one.

#452036 - 05/16/18 11:27 PM Re: Checked out the Genos. [Re: DonM]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By DonM
I like that it finally has a joystick instead of wheels

The thing I like about wheels is that you can move the mod wheel and leave it there for effects like Leslie while I play with 2 hands. Doesn't the joystick always spring back to center and have to be held by the left hand to do something like that?

#452037 - 05/17/18 12:16 AM Re: Checked out the Genos. [Re: Nigel]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Yes, but there is a hold button.
You can set the joystick where you want and push the hold button.
It will stay where you set it to wink
Eric

#452039 - 05/17/18 01:56 AM Re: Checked out the Genos. [Re: Eric, B]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Eric, B
Yes, but there is a hold button.
You can set the joystick where you want and push the hold button.
It will stay where you set it to wink
Eric

This is actually one of the very innovative things in Genos
Works perfect with a single hand..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#452045 - 05/17/18 04:20 AM Re: Checked out the Genos. [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Don thanx for the HONEST Genos review I already knew all that. But, it's nice to hear it again from someone as professional a player as yourself. At least you now got it all out of your system. It made that long trip all worth it!
Let us know when you get the Ketron SD9....just sayin' : coffee

Edited by Dnj (05/17/18 07:26 AM)

#452057 - 05/17/18 06:00 AM Re: Checked out the Genos. [Re: DonM]
zuki Offline

4 -5 hours! You must have liked it smile Appreciate your review and good luck with your next choice.

It takes too much effort to keep swapping out boards. I about pulled my hair out from the 3X to the 1000 and then on to the 4X. Glad that is all behind me and I can now explore the 4X styles when I work up new material.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#452059 - 05/17/18 06:26 AM Re: Checked out the Genos. [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Good review. You looked at it as a pro players tool and not a hobby player who is only impressed with bells and whistles. ( not that that is a bad thing, whatever makes you happy ) Thanks. You just saved me 5K !! Only kidding

#452060 - 05/17/18 06:33 AM Re: Checked out the Genos. [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
4 - 5 hours!
When Don test drives a car he probably takes it on a 100 mile road trip ... grin

#452061 - 05/17/18 06:52 AM Re: Checked out the Genos. [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

So Don a glorified S970? I hope not! surprised

Edited by Dnj (05/17/18 06:54 AM)

#452063 - 05/17/18 07:54 AM Re: Checked out the Genos. [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No Donnie, it's more than a glorified 970, and I have absolutely no plans to ever own another Ketron unless a LOT of things would change.
There is no need for me to change keyboards, and if I did, it would more than likely be to return to PA4X, best I've ever had or played.
Nigel, on the Korg, you bump the joystick up to turn the Leslie on, and it winds up as it is supposed to do. It stays on fast speed until you bump it again, and then it winds back down.
I didn't say I didn't like the Genos; I just said I wouldn't pay that much for one when I like something else at least equally as well, probably better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online