SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#443028 - 12/22/17 11:57 AM Move from MIDI to USB?
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Okay, so I am old school and record my backing track through my PA 4X and MIDI it to my TASCAM DP24 and dump tracks one at a time and then build more tracks from there live...Been working this way since the 1990's with my old reliable ENSONIQ VFX-SD

Going to FINALLY move to my PROTOOLS i bought 2 years ago full time and buying the "Automated Avid Pro Tools S3 Control Surface" which has no "MIDI", rather USB.

Is it the same thing? Just want to make sure my tracks will sync up for dumping on USB the same as MIDI.

Any help here would be great

#443031 - 12/22/17 01:01 PM Re: Move from MIDI to USB? [Re: Steve A]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Apples and oranges. One (midi) is data, the other is ONE means of transmitting that data. The good news is that once you figure it out, you shouldn't have any trouble syncing it up. Maybe Bachus or Abacus or someone with more patience than me can lay it out for you.

chas

#443035 - 12/22/17 01:52 PM Re: Move from MIDI to USB? [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Apples and oranges. One (midi) is data, the other is ONE means of transmitting that data. The good news is that once you figure it out, you shouldn't have any trouble syncing it up. Maybe Bachus or Abacus or someone with more patience than me can lay it out for you.

chas

Its what Chas says, usb uses the same midi data as the physical midi cable.. its just a different type of cable..

And audio is still audio.. you connect the audio out of the pa4x to the audio in of your computefs audio interface..

Keep in mind tough that after installing the drivers, you will need to configure your midi interface and audio interface in protools to.

But once you are set up, the workflow is not really so much different as on your dp24, which is a brilliant machine. But the end quallity may be much better as pro tools lifts the final audio and dsp quallity by quite a considerable margin.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#443047 - 12/22/17 04:41 PM Re: Move from MIDI to USB? [Re: Steve A]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
Unfortunately not familiar with pro tools, but have had my korgs midied via USB, to band in a box, synced perfectly. Just a case of getting settings correct. Admittedly not what you’re doing, I had biab audio guitar and drum tracks playing in sync with pa800 style tracks, but , just to point out how good the settings are in the korgs.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#443049 - 12/22/17 11:13 PM Re: Move from MIDI to USB? [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi ,
Unfortunately not familiar with pro tools, but have had my korgs midied via USB, to band in a box, synced perfectly. Just a case of getting settings correct. Admittedly not what you’re doing, I had biab audio guitar and drum tracks playing in sync with pa800 style tracks, but , just to point out how good the settings are in the korgs.

If you want things in sync, you have to set protools as Slave and your arranger as Master. (or the other way around.) Midi clock signals are sent over the global channel. every DAww (i am not familiar) has an area to make the midi settings.

Maybe this article will help, for findding the midi related settings.
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-do-i-set-up-a-midi-controller-in-pro-tools/

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online