SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#434068 - 07/08/17 04:55 AM APC Backup and Surge Protector
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am overdue for having one, but want an opinion on this one for gigs and network gear in my studio.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Prot...JJT50BYCT73#Ask

#434070 - 07/08/17 05:03 AM Re: APC Backup and Surge Protector [Re: Bernie9]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
APC make good quality UPS (Go for one with voltage regulation) so just make sure it has the power, features and sockets you need. In the studio you can link it to your computer for monitoring and controlling power. (Windows and MAC have UPS monitoring and control built into the OS, so you should just need to connect the UPS to your computer via USB)
Hope this helps
Bill

#434078 - 07/08/17 07:36 AM Re: APC Backup and Surge Protector [Re: Bernie9]
Tyrosman5 Offline

Monster Power makes great equipment that includes power regulators combined with special current control outlets. They really filter unwanted signals and provide very clean audio.
My equipment has been protected for 9 years with Monster Power
so I can vouch for their products. Lloyd

#434079 - 07/08/17 07:44 AM Re: APC Backup and Surge Protector [Re: Tyrosman5]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Tyrosman5
Monster Power makes great equipment that includes power regulators combined with special current control outlets. They really filter unwanted signals and provide very clean audio.
My equipment has been protected for 9 years with Monster Power
so I can vouch for their products. Lloyd

https://www.monsterproducts.com/collections/power

#434082 - 07/08/17 08:00 AM Re: APC Backup and Surge Protector [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Thank you gentlemen. I presume the main purpose is to provide uninterrupted power from AC, then to battery backup. What about using it after the fact? I am always on a surge protector, so, why would I need to carry this UPS to all gigs, but keep it in the van, and bring it in if power goes out/ or not.

#434092 - 07/08/17 09:40 AM Re: APC Backup and Surge Protector [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bernie, surge protectors, regardless of the price, are a good thing to have, especially one with a ground fault indicator. However, keep in mind that no surge protector can survive a hit from a lightning surge that hits nearby - NONE! Therefore, the protection is modest at best, but as my wife says when asked "how's your husband?" She usually replies "Better than nothing - but not a Hell of a lot!"

As for the APC, well, they too are marginal at best, essentially designed for computers so there would be no loss of date during a brief power outage. The one you listed is just 330-Watts, which would handle a small PA system and your keyboard for about 30 minutes at best. Of course, if power was restored during that time, the system would revert back to wall outlet power and begin recharging it's internal batteries.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#434100 - 07/08/17 10:56 AM Re: APC Backup and Surge Protector [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

Keep in mind that to work perfect, the apc ups requires also that a pc is connected... with programs on the pc for refresshing and monitoring the battery... and switching down the battery timely when power is down.. this will also make the expensive batteries last 3 times as long before they require replacement.

Witouth a pc the UPS turns into a big battery with some netfilters and surge protection..

For live situations, the weight of an UPS could be a problem for some.... however, with my Kronos 2 minutes startup time, not having an UPS is not an option..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#434129 - 07/09/17 03:07 AM Re: APC Backup and Surge Protector [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Well, I am certainly glad I asked the more enlightened. I was trying to use it for other than it's main function. I can't justify hauling the thing around for the remote chance of gaining 30 min of battery power, as Gary said, Bachus, I certainly see your need. My main venue has it's own backup system, and I would have less than a five minute interruption to reboot. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a hotshot battery in automotive parlance.

Thank God for Nigel and his forum, which translates to my friends therein.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online