SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#433962 - 07/06/17 09:34 PM How do you keep up with it all?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I'm really impressed.....no. I've been impressed for a while now....how much all you guys know the ins and outs of your particular keyboard so well. How to use samples, make up song sets, the harmonizer, etc. And even other products.....mixers, power amp settings, EQ settings. I'm sure you get my drift.

There was a period back in my Yamaha DX7 days when I understood just about everything, including how to program the DX7 even. Now I remember nothing but playing.

What prompted this is I just downloaded the Lindrums set from Sokratis 1974 (thanks, Sokratis) and it dawned on me. I don't even know how to load the samples so I can enjoy them.

So.....do you guys read manuals carefully, diddle around on your own, casually pick it up as you go along, take a block of time every day to work on the keyboard, or are you just plain natural-born genius's?

I could re-learn everything, but just not enough time. Then you've got to work on it every day or you forget everything and then you have to start all over again.

How do you all do it? And I mean just about ALL of you in here.

#433965 - 07/06/17 10:45 PM Re: How do you keep up with it all? [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

- step 1 just try something, maybe i am lucky
- step 2 read the manuall section
- step 3 look for tutorial video online
- step 4 ask around on the internet

In the case of your example...
I would skip step 1 and directly step to the manuall..

Only those things i use often, will stick in my mind, for all other things, there is the manuall

http://keyszone.boards.net

#433972 - 07/07/17 03:56 AM Re: How do you keep up with it all? [Re: Mark79100]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The key is to learn only what you actually want to use. Then because you use it frequently you won't forget . Then when you want to use more of the instruments capability , think of the practical scenario you want to use it and then learn that function and use it accordingly . I have had my instrument 10 years and to some ,I know it inside out , but I know there is a good 30 percent of it I have never used and most likely will never use . E.g. I have never used the vocal harmoniser !!! I have done minor sound editing and use this only when I want to mimic a sound from a song that was not close enough on my standard keyboard . In other words very rarely . You don't have to be an expert at everything . Just be an expert at what you do .

#433974 - 07/07/17 04:23 AM Re: How do you keep up with it all? [Re: Mark79100]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
"The key is to learn only what you actually want to use"

I find this the only way I remember anything!

And Bachus is spot on as well.

Also total respect to anyone who can program a DX7!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online