SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#433222 - 06/20/17 09:44 PM variation on "How many have played/live audience?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I also think, not only how many events I've done over the years, but also.......how many hours of daily practice did I put in over a lifetime to make sure the gigs were successful? And, was it worth it? And was it necessary? And.......was the end product proportionate to the time and energy I put into the mix?

And......would I have been happier driving a taxicab on the night shift somewhere in the Bronx knowing that after 8 hours I would get to go home and do nothing, whereas the music business never ends.....in addition to all that practice, for 24/7 you're always thinking and picking up musical ideas throughout the day to use in your act, or listening and analyzing songs you hear on the radio, constantly making business contacts, marketing, advertising, etc. and, once in a while, having a beer.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it all again. I'd take the same path if given the choice. Just sayin' ........I think not only about the gigs, but the "hours" too (that no one pays you for).

Mark

#433227 - 06/21/17 02:28 AM Re: variation on "How many have played/live audience? [Re: Mark79100]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By Mark79100
And......would I have been happier driving a taxicab on the night shift somewhere in the Bronx knowing that after 8 hours I would get to go home and do nothing

I guess you never drove a taxicab on night shift lol. I drove one in Melbourne Australia for 7 years while playing in a live band. There was no such thing as an 8 hour shift driving a taxicab. There are only 2 shifts a day, day shift and night shift and they are 12 hour shifts or 24 hour hungry shifts where I would grab a few hours sleep in between jobs. It was an interesting job and there were murder threats on a few occasions. I even drove an armed holdup getaway once with a sawed off shotgun at the back of my head. And though I convinced the bandit to put the gun down if he wanted me to drive him away after putting it down it went off blowing a hole through the bench seat 12 inches from me. There isn't anything as loud as a shotgun firing inside a car sitting behind you you. So don't think driving a taxicab would have been an easy alternative for you. And I was in Australia. I am sure the Bronx would be much scarier. People don't realize what driving a cab is like. A bad gig doesn't compare.

#433228 - 06/21/17 03:35 AM Re: variation on "How many have played/live audience? [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

There is no instument as diverse, as a keyboard... but that comes at a cost... it takes much much more time to master it then other popular instruments... if you excersise 2 hours a day, you will be able to play Bass in a band after about half a year, guitar will take about 2 years on average... keyboards will most people take atleast 10 years to get on an average level... and about a lifetime to master all aspects of modern keybaords (piano, organ, synth, arranger) are all quite different disciplines..

Since i am trying to get to a descent level in all of them.. i am quite sure i will never be a master of any of them.....

Maybe if i had to do it all again, i would start out with Bass, and get really good at it, so i would have the confidence to play on stage...

But then, i have a daytime job that i really like, so i dont think i would exchnage it for a career in music... altough i might still like gigging ocasionally in the weekends...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#433229 - 06/21/17 05:52 AM Re: variation on "How many have played/live audience? [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bachus, I think it's hard to assign a time to master an instrument. One must consider natural talent, desire, self-discipline (think practice), external support (parents, etc.), and (VERY IMPORTANT) quality of instruction. Six months of Bass lessons is NOT going to turn you into a Ray Brown or Jaco Pastorius; why, because it's not only about mastering the instrument, it' also about mastering the music you're going to play on that instrument.

The other thing is the required DEDICATION. Like most here, yourself included, few are willing to risk their livelihood on a career as a full-time musician (with the exception of music teachers in the conventional education system). Most speak proudly of their 'day job' as though music is little more than an (expensive) hobby; something to "impress chicks", or feed their latent childhood fantasies of being a 'rock star'. True, everyone's motivation is not the same but in most cases the drive one sees in successful career musicians is missing. Just my thoughts on the matter.

chas

#433232 - 06/21/17 07:15 AM Re: variation on "How many have played/live audience? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I sometimes think about all the hours I spent practicing and the sacrifices I made. I had a private teacher who easily could of been a very successful full time musician as he was a great arranger and pop player. Howeever the belief of the day was to take the Classical route in my lessons because I wanted to pursue music in College and get a teaching degree. In those days there was very little besides Classical taught in colleges. Beerkey just opened and wasn't accredited for a teaching degree I wanted and I couldn't afford it anyway.
I still believe most of what I've learned and used musically I taught myself. If we ony had Youtube back then !!! I beleive I could of been so much better with better info. If I could do it over some things would be different but its been and interesting part time career. Now that things are slower musically I feel a relief from the pressure of having to practice, learn new material, keeping up with the latest DJ stuff etc. and most of all the self promoting. When I want to practice now I get lost in my new piano and enjoy playing for my dog. Did the money equal the time, definatly not. I made as much bartending at a Country Club while in college as I did playing gigs at night. And i didn't have to invest in a van load of equipment.
How good do you have to be nowadays? From what I've seen not very. A basic skill of an instrument and a great voice is the key nowadays.
Paul Schaffer, great keyboarist from the old Letterman show was on the other night. So what did they have him do ? SING ! He stinks at singing but thats what sells.
Bottom line is when its all adds up music has given me a lot of pleasure in different ways some not related to money.

#433233 - 06/21/17 07:39 AM Re: variation on "How many have played/live audience? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
There are far too many 'celebraties' who have become 'singers' only because of who they are ...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online