SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#430441 - 04/05/17 01:26 PM Still Performing?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
On one of the threads(April Fools?) I think I read that Don Mason hung it up...that is playing on a regular basis.

Got me to thinking, how many of you are still performing(for $$$) on a regular basis?

If so, how often? What venues?

Edited by guitpic1 (04/05/17 01:43 PM)

#430445 - 04/05/17 03:16 PM Re: Still Performing? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I may still work sort of regularly, but maybe once or twice a month rather than every night!
Will concentrate on private parties.

#430448 - 04/05/17 05:22 PM Re: Still Performing? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Until health issues hit me like a freight train last August, I was performing 6 to 10 jobs a week. Then Mother Nature got even. Now, at age 76, I wish I were able to continue at that hectic pace, but as everyone will soon discover, there comes a time when you have to let the somewhat younger generation take over while we sit back and collect our hard earned retirement.

I sincerely hope everyone gets to perform as long as they physically can do so,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#430449 - 04/05/17 06:21 PM Re: Still Performing? [Re: guitpic1]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
I do 12-20 gigs a year. Some solo and mostly duo shows with my wife. We mostly do 30-45 minute show. We also do weddings where we sing live and DJ to give the customer what they want. One gig in April... Three in May. We always book through word of mouth and let the show advertise for itself! Keeps us singing!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#430453 - 04/05/17 06:51 PM Re: Still Performing? [Re: shueymusic]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
I left the 6 piece band I'd been with for over 5 yrs a little over a yr ago.
Have searched a bit for another good/better situation but have yet to find just what I really want. Why'd I leave the last band? Too much traveling for too little pay. That and my back problems have been getting tougher to deal with. I'd have to recuperate at least a full day, doing nothing more strenuous than short-walking, the day after a gig.
Maybe I'll start looking at doing the NH/Assisted living thing.

#430474 - 04/06/17 08:43 AM Re: Still Performing? [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Four two week trips to Dubai annually. 60 hours per month studio work for national contracts. 5 nights a week at a country club.

25-30 extra sound scores for films produced by my company.

5-8 tribute jobs (George Benson, Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Smith, etc) with area Philharmonics.

4 jazz nights a month on B-3 with my trio at a country club.

25 jobs a year with my guitar trio.

Every holiday at my normal country club.

My left hand tendon has about had it. When it goes, I'll be grateful for the time I've had in his fabulous business.

For the record: 9 weeks off in 62 years....at least 4 nights a week. Always held another job or owned a separate company, where music made our product unique (eg.: music tracks for films we produce).

R.

Edited by captain Russ (04/06/17 11:40 AM)

#430530 - 04/08/17 08:05 AM Re: Still Performing? [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Not much but still trying. I'm just not into doing NH gigs but may look into them more in the future.
Most places with the outdoor decks and bars here stick with the same guitar slingers they always use and some stranger with a keyboard just doesn't fit into their thinking.
Done some fill in work on Piano at Sea Pines resort but can't get a regular schedule out of it yet.
Been trying to connect with the new F&B manager at another high end resort, Palmetto Bluff. A new neighbor is the Golf Club Mgr. and is trying to get me a meeting with him.
The large senior community, Sun City where I do fit well has stopped entertainment at their two restaurants. People just don't spend enough to make it worthwhile.
A few other restaurants as well have cut entertainment.
I think I'm going to relocate to Ky and cover Capt Russ's overflow gigs.

#430533 - 04/08/17 10:28 AM Re: Still Performing? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
My everyday life keeps me pretty busy socially, but I am still working gigs - solo with the Pa900, and as a vocalist with a female singer using backing tracks - mostly NH/Assisted Living venues ... plus about a half dozen gigs a year with the guitar player in NJ ... Just got a new lead today from another OMB player for an upscale Assisted Living venue ... playing there next Saturday and as the AD said to me "if the residents like your performance there will be other dates this year" ... I HOPE they like me ... grin
A few bigger gigs I am looking forward to are a Memorial Day gig, a 'back by popular demand' performance of the 'Fabulous Fifties Night' I did with the guitar player in NJ last year, and a 'Summer Picnic' solo gig for my town ...

I really enjoy trying to find new songs to perform, or ways to 'change up' songs I have played before ...

#430538 - 04/08/17 05:24 PM Re: Still Performing? [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Tony I did not know you played guitar.
Which guitar and amp. are you using?
Share some of your guitar thoughts.

"Tony the guitar player," nice ring to that.
John C.

#430540 - 04/08/17 08:36 PM Re: Still Performing? [Re: bruno123]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
John ... It may have a nice ring to it but there is no truth to it ... I said I was playing " with a guitar PLAYER" ... grin

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online