SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#429008 - 02/17/17 02:27 AM Question For Bose Compact Users
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
There are times when I am playing where I cannot place the Bose very far behind me, yet I need both extensions to reach the back people. This means I cannot adequately monitor my sound when I have no on board speakers. Even though I may get great revues from patrons, I want to hear it myself.

I suppose I could use a mixer and send in an in-ear feed. Suggestions please.

#429015 - 02/17/17 07:29 AM Re: Question For Bose Compact Users [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Bernie
I have the same problem except for most jobs I'm using a JBL 515xt on a stand. If I'm backed up against a wall which is the most frequent situation I have the speaker stand next to me and all I hear is Bass. I've been using my Roland CM30 as a monitor and it sounds great and helps my vocals tremendously. I run it right off the JBL . Another thing to carry and set up and if there's nothing to put it on I also need a mic stand.
I'm really leaning toward one or two Eon Ones but I'm afraid they might not cut it on some larger outdoor gigs. I'd also be hoping they have enough dispersion so I could hear them clearly from the side.

#429016 - 02/17/17 07:34 AM Re: Question For Bose Compact Users [Re: Bernie9]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Bernie, have you tried headphones? I keep a small, unobtrusive set in my kb case for just those occasions where the room is not monitor friendly. This is the primary reason I use keyboards with on board speakers, but I have had success with using the Bose directly at the edge of my kb - takes up hardly no space, and depending on room reflection, you might be able to hear pretty well. I think, for your situation, a small monitor (facing you), or headphones could be the answer.

#429020 - 02/17/17 08:11 AM Re: Question For Bose Compact Users [Re: Bernie9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Occasionally when the venue demands, I'll use earbud phones. Audience generally won't even notice them.

#429021 - 02/17/17 10:42 AM Re: Question For Bose Compact Users [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Because of the broad horizontal coverage with the Bose, 210-degrees, I just placed the PA on my right side and never had a problem hearing myself. Never had to use on stage monitors and ended up giving the one I purchased away to Hank Bowman. Never used ear buds either.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#429022 - 02/17/17 10:47 AM Re: Question For Bose Compact Users [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
We've elevated the Compacts on stands or chairs(no extensions) and put them right next to us.

We can still hear ourselves through the Compacts and at the same time avoid feedback.

#429023 - 02/17/17 10:55 AM Re: Question For Bose Compact Users [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The problem with elevating the system is that you lose the sub quality and sounds, which travel best at floor level. You may want to do what Don Mason did which was to use just a single extension and place the Bose directly at his sides.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#429025 - 02/17/17 10:57 AM Re: Question For Bose Compact Users [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
The problem with elevating the system is that you lose the sub quality and sounds, which travel best at floor level. You may want to do what Don Mason did which was to use just a single extension and place the Bose directly at his sides.

Gary cool

That works too.

We elevated the Compacts with smaller crowds.

When I want sub quality, I look to our JBL Eon One now.

Edited by guitpic1 (02/17/17 10:59 AM)

#429030 - 02/17/17 12:01 PM Re: Question For Bose Compact Users [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I could use small headphones from the keyboard jack, but wonder about actual speaker volume if I am hearing headphone volume only. Having the Bose along side would still not allow me to hear the balances of L&RH and bass mix accurately with full extensions. For that matter, headphones would be good, but would not reflect the speaker difference if any.
I do have a pair of CM30's, and could try one, although I am not so vain as to avoid small headphones either. Maybe if I keep the phones at a low level, I could still judge speaker volume. I will have to experiment.

At the tail end of the banquet, I took off one extension and slipped it under the base of the Bose. This allowed me to hear, but not sure if it reached 100 ft or so back with 200 people. I have some ideas to try anyway. Thanks.

#429043 - 02/18/17 07:32 PM Re: Question For Bose Compact Users [Re: Bernie9]
KORG80 Offline

Bernie, I always have mt Bose set up right beside me and I've never had a problem.

God Bless,
Don

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online