SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#426779 - 10/07/16 08:03 AM OT. What a Next Generation Arranger Sounds Like
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
NOTE: If you are of a nervous disposition and don’t want to become depressed with your current TOTL Arranger, please avoid. smile smile smile

NOTE: For some weird reason the tracks show in reverse order, so please work backward from No.1.

https://app.box.com/s/hov666e7tjzp8pelv5hc3yx8lnrizc1m

Enjoy

Bill

#426781 - 10/07/16 08:25 AM Re: OT. What a Next Generation Arranger Sounds Like [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

if I'm being honest I couldn't listen more then 30 seconds sorry...

#426783 - 10/07/16 09:03 AM Re: OT. What a Next Generation Arranger Sounds Like [Re: abacus]
Korgman5
Unregistered

The first ones were early Wersi and I believe the artist is
Claus Wunderlich. I had those records and Wersi was the first
organ that had a believeable rhythm maker. Now it sounds pretty
primative. Lloyd

#426823 - 10/08/16 01:44 PM Re: OT. What a Next Generation Arranger Sounds Like [Re: ]
KORG80 Offline

Gave it more than Donny did hoping it might get better. It didn't. Sounded mostly toy-like, like the old Radio Shack keyboards.

God Bless,
Don

#426825 - 10/08/16 05:43 PM Re: OT. What a Next Generation Arranger Sounds Like [Re: KORG80]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bill I am not sure why you posted these songs. I have to agree, they are "Toy like".
John C.

#426827 - 10/08/16 09:25 PM Re: OT. What a Next Generation Arranger Sounds Like [Re: bruno123]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: bruno123
Bill I am not sure why you posted these songs. I have to agree, they are "Toy like".
John C.

Back then, we adores this sound... tought it was magnificent? Or is this still the reason many pro's stay away from arrangers?

Anyway, what Bill tried to do is make us see how good current arrangers sound...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#426831 - 10/09/16 03:16 AM Re: OT. What a Next Generation Arranger Sounds Like [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Bachus has hit the nail on the head, the post was inspired by DNJ in another thread, where he mentioned that the difference between generations of keyboards these days was small.

That it was a tongue in cheek post was emphasised by all the smiley faces I added.

The recording came from 1977 (Almost 40 years ago) when a new range of Wersi Organs were introduced, and featured one of the most advanced Rhythm units of the time, (Styles as we know them today did not come along till the 90s) as it had 24 mixable rhythms with the ability to remove various drum sounds while you were playing for variation, in addition you could automatically alternate the rhythms for even greater variations, it was also stereo (Most others at the time were still mono) which meant when you hit the drum break it panned across the stereo stage as if it was a real drummer going across his kit. The accompaniment could be played independently of the Rhythm and could also be mixed and matched with the rhythm, (It consisted of simple chord and arpeggio backing)

Naturally all sounds were produced by analogue means at this stage. (Sampling (That we use today) was many years away)

Wersi always continually updated their instruments (Via hardware updates at this time) with the first main ones coming in 1979 with the Wersi Harp (An arpeggio unit) which used the piano voices for individual or chord progressions, and the sound computer, which allowed you to freely program and store up to 32 registrations, (Expandable to 64) including all tab and drawbar settings, the memory sticks could also be removed and transferred to another instrument for instant setup. (Unavailable on any other instrument at the time)

The biggest accompaniment change came in 1981/2 with the original rhythm unit being replaced with the new CX1, which had rhythms that were more towards today, along with being fully programmable by the user as well as being able to be stored as data on cassette tape, (The main data computer storage medium of the time for domestic use) you could also program the sequence of rhythm changes (Drum break variation etc.) and the chords you wanted, so that you could play without needing to have your left hand in a certain position, (Midi did not come out till 1983) the CX1 could also analyse what you were playing (Single notes or chords) and automatically alter the accompaniment to suit. (Other instruments of the time had to be manually switched between single finger or chord mode)

All sounds were again still analogue at this time.

The following recordings are the same organ as the first one, but with the CX1 Rhythm Unit.

As these are full songs, it doesn’t matter what order you listen to them here

Enjoy

Bill

#426833 - 10/09/16 06:47 AM Re: OT. What a Next Generation Arranger Sounds Like [Re: abacus]
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
Thank you for your discussion concerning the evolution of our auto arrangers. I had forgotten just how far we have come technology wise concerning our current crop of arrangers.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online