SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#426170 - 09/15/16 09:53 AM Stage piano with styles, how much of an arranger?
Bachus Offline

So who has got extended experience with these? and which one can actually function as a real arranger with quallity sounds and styles?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#426172 - 09/15/16 10:30 AM Re: Stage piano with styles, how much of an arranger? [Re: Bachus]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I have the Casio Privia 350. I use it for home practice for its weighted keyboard. I rarely use the backing function but I can say Inwouldn't use it for more than practicing. The sounds aren't very high quality and I don't think it has much editing power available. I understand the new Privia line has the same AP sounds and keyboard but improved sounds in the Arranger section.
Lots of DP are including Rhythms and Accompiaments . I'm looking to upgrade just for touch and AP sounds, lots to look at.

#426183 - 09/15/16 06:01 PM Re: Stage piano with styles, how much of an arranger? [Re: Bachus]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I sell both the Yamaha DGX660 and the Casio PX-360. Hands down the Yamaha has better styles and sounds in my opinion. Only the PSR E453 and the PSR EW400 and the 670,770 and 970 have the abilities to mute any one of the style tracks. The DGX is drums only or all the other tracks are on. Unfortunately, Casio hasn't done as good a job with the styles as they've done with Piano, Electric piano and Organ presets. The DGX660 styles are quite good but until you get to the 660 and above you don't have the 4 styles parts, only main and variation. I'm not familiar with the Korg model.
(Retired 2021)

#426187 - 09/15/16 10:17 PM Re: Stage piano with styles, how much of an arranger? [Re: George Kaye]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
We have the DGX 650. Nice piano action but with very basic arranger function.

I've heard the Korg Havian has a deeper arranger function but never tried one.

#426192 - 09/16/16 02:08 AM Re: Stage piano with styles, how much of an arranger? [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: guitpic1
We have the DGX 650. Nice piano action but with very basic arranger function.

I've heard the Korg Havian has a deeper arranger function but never tried one.

The korg havian is essentially a stage piano combined with the PA300 arranger... All style functionallity is available, it comes with 400 styles and a whopping 1000+ bankslots for userstyles... Sadly it misses out on the multipads of the pa300

Where the korg Havian disqualifies as a professional part is the connections, no audio in, no midi (however there is midi over USB), audio out only over the headset plug, only a connector for a single pedal... Clearly intended for home use only..

#426204 - 09/16/16 05:22 AM Re: Stage piano with styles, how much of an arranger? [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
The DGX 650 has a more basic arranger than the PSR 423 I paid $250 for.

I couldn't imagine using it at a gig.

I did some serious thinking about the Havian but really only wanted a piano with simulated piano action.

My brother, a vocal music teacher, said he thought the DGX 650 had a pretty good piano action for the price. So I bought it to try to learn piano.

That said, my brother is only interested in acoustic pianos and has a nice Yamaha acoustic at home.

Edited by guitpic1 (09/16/16 05:25 AM)

#426244 - 09/17/16 08:45 AM Re: Stage piano with styles, how much of an arranger? [Re: Bachus]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
the DGX660 has a feature not found in the 650, "Piano Room" which allows you to open and close the grand piano lid, change room ambiance and record directly to USB a wav file. It also can be outputted to a external amp or PA and still use the built in speakers as monitors. There is also a mic input with dedicated volume control and an aux input. The styles and voices are improved over the older DGX650.
(Retired 2021)

#426248 - 09/17/16 09:13 AM Re: Stage piano with styles, how much of an arranger? [Re: George Kaye]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: George Kaye
the DGX660 has a feature not found in the 650, "Piano Room" which allows you to open and close the grand piano lid, change room ambiance and record directly to USB a wav file. It also can be outputted to a external amp or PA and still use the built in speakers as monitors. There is also a mic input with dedicated volume control and an aux input. The styles and voices are improved over the older DGX650.

Piano room is an awesome feature, espescially on the CVP 709 series, where you can combine the piano room with a small 3 person band using minimalistic session styles...

So nice and enjoyable...

Point with these satge piano / arranger combo's is that none of them are high end, and most of them only have minimalistic arranger functions...

Seems only Korg dared to add a fullfledged arranger to the Havian, good news is that the Havian had a huge price drop overhere in Holland to become more competitive, as it was to expensive for what it offered....

Edited by Bachus (09/17/16 09:16 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online