SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#417763 - 03/03/16 01:14 AM An arranger, just styles or more?
Bachus Offline

Maybe i am the only one over here, but i would love to see them add more features to arrangers when it comes to accompaniment...

There used to be just styles..

Some time ago, they added
- Sequencers
- Audio looping
- midi phrases (Korg and Yamaha hide these last two in the multi pads)

Now they added an arpeggiator to the PSR series and the CAsio MZ-X, i have allways loved arpeggiators. And its a good thing we will have this on future arrangers..

There is also the multi channel audio from Ketron, which i really like, looks very much like the more commercial stems from Native instruments..

I also hope they will add other things from other instruments to the arrangers of the future..

- Karma technollogy works well in combination with styles, its more then an advanced arpeggiator, it can be added to add different nuances to your styles, however, Karma is extremely hard to program and create your own GE's and such with

- Motion sequences, which are the latest trick of Yamaha to make music more dynamic. I think it works well in what it meants to do in giving the keyboardists more controll over the performance.

- realtime audio looping, just like on the Roland DS series.. just reord your audio loops in realtime and play with them.. also supported by the Casio MZ-X

- Pattern sequencer, much like the pattern mode in MOXF, it allows you to get some ideas into musical phrases really really fast.

- Chord track, much more advanced version of the Chord sequencer. You can choose between realtime keyboard chord input, or set chordinput.. if chosen set, there is a certain sequence of chords that are replayed. Styles would be able to use features that currently are only available in BiaB.. But also audio tracks could be transposed in realtime..

- New rhytm track, this allows you to controll the other tracks with parameters like swing, volume and others, much like the technollogy i recently showed from the Logix X drummer application, this track can be prerecorded, but also realtime controlled.. and not just influencing the drums, but also the other tracks, it would make music more dynamic... If they added a technollogy on top of that that allows your playing to influence these parameters, then we are stepping forward...

In the end, i think Synth workstations are slowly moving back to performance synths (Jupiter 80, Yamaha Montage) which leaves room and customers for the Arranger workstations to grasp if they add features that would for example hardcore Motif workstation users interest in the Tyros 6 as a workstation..

In the end, the lesson Yamaha has learned is keep it easy to opperate on top level, and add the real depth under the hood..

To me arranger workstations are like tools, that i love to play with, the more features, the better..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#417764 - 03/03/16 04:34 AM Re: An arranger, just styles or more? [Re: Bachus]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The only problem is that relatively few people have the knowledge to fully understand your concepts, much less utilize them. I am speaking main stream from a company viewpoint. But then, what do I know ?

On the other hand, I commend you for this excellent treatise.

#417765 - 03/03/16 04:51 AM Re: An arranger, just styles or more? [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
The only problem is that relatively few people have the knowledge to fully understand your concepts, much less utilize them. I am speaking main stream from a company viewpoint. But then, what do I know ?

On the other hand, I commend you for this excellent treatise.

Bernie your on the right track,...it's all about the $$$

Edited by Dnj (03/03/16 04:52 AM)

#417767 - 03/03/16 05:36 AM Re: An arranger, just styles or more? [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
An arranger keyboard has always been designed for the home hobby player, (The number of pros that use them are miniscule in comparison (Although the fact that some pros do use them shows how flexible they can be) as they are just the easy play features of the home organ bought up to an advanced level.

Ask any dealer (Off the record) and they will all tell you that the T5 has not been one of Yamahas best sellers, not because it is a bad keyboard, but just because its advanced features (Ensemble section for example) go completely over the head of most home hobby players, thus scaring them off, (With a fair number going back to the T4) consequently adding more features will just make things worse. (A mistake I am sure Yamaha will not make with the T6 or whatever it is called)

I can however see more development of easy to use DAWs by manufactures, so that you can just connect to a range of keyboards via Wi Fi or USB, for the more advanced users.

Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#417769 - 03/03/16 06:17 AM Re: An arranger, just styles or more? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

I hope we've seen the last of the "Shoo Bee, Doo Bee Doo" voices in the next Yamaha models releases whenever that is,..and hope they listen to players features needs much more.

#417772 - 03/03/16 06:42 AM Re: An arranger, just styles or more? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
..and hope they listen to players features needs much more.

Ok, that's a little confusing, but if I'm understanding you correctly, my response would be that different players have different needs, and as Abacus points out, your needs as a 'pro' may be completely different than the needs of your average 'home player', and if the 'pro's' only make up a tiny percentage of the Arranger market, who do you think Yamaha is going to listen to? Just sayin'.

chas

#417773 - 03/03/16 06:51 AM Re: An arranger, just styles or more? [Re: Bachus]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
As one of the few people using an Arranger for live work I'm always conscience of how much is the Arranger doing and how much am I doing, so for me I've got enough in my BK9 to keep going in the future. And properly editied it sounds pretty good and not 60's home organ fake. I've seen acts with no instruments, just singing over tracks and I don't want to fall into that.
So the point is the balance between some arranger "help" and having it take over.
Home players love all the fancy stuff. And how many pro or home players know how to fully use all the features that are already there?
I've said this a few times before but manufactures for the most part really drop the ball when it comes to educating people on how to fully use their wonderful new machines.
So adding more will cost more and further confuse most buyers. Look at some of the audiences in the in store demos for these keyboards. Amazed by the demostrator but can the go home and emulate the fancy things they just witnessed?
I think there's enough hardware out there now and the future is VSTs.

#417777 - 03/03/16 07:05 AM Re: An arranger, just styles or more? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: Dnj
..and hope they listen to players features needs much more.

Ok, that's a little confusing, but if I'm understanding you correctly, my response would be that different players have different needs, and as Abacus points out, your needs as a 'pro' may be completely different than the needs of your average 'home player', and if the 'pro's' only make up a tiny percentage of the Arranger market, who do you think Yamaha is going to listen to? Just sayin'.

chas

Most need features like on the S970, BJK9, Pa 900and others, are for pro or home user and are just logical everyday improvements like a larger Tilt display, touch screen, adjustable text size on MFD, a revised redesigned MFD that can save much more info including transpose & reg, better keybed, front dual USB, sliders, etc,...nothing that fancy just common things that most any level player would agree with..just sayin'...

#417782 - 03/03/16 08:44 AM Re: An arranger, just styles or more? [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
An arranger keyboard has always been designed for the home hobby player, (The number of pros that use them are miniscule in comparison (Although the fact that some pros do use them shows how flexible they can be) as they are just the easy play features of the home organ bought up to an advanced level.

Ask any dealer (Off the record) and they will all tell you that the T5 has not been one of Yamahas best sellers, not because it is a bad keyboard, but just because its advanced features (Ensemble section for example) go completely over the head of most home hobby players, thus scaring them off, (With a fair number going back to the T4) consequently adding more features will just make things worse. (A mistake I am sure Yamaha will not make with the T6 or whatever it is called)

I can however see more development of easy to use DAWs by manufactures, so that you can just connect to a range of keyboards via Wi Fi or USB, for the more advanced users.

Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

I think arrangers are aimed at the hobby players (epescially where Yamaha is concerned)

But arranger workstations are a different thing, they are aimed at a much broader audience.. thats where Yamaha is truely walking a different path compared to the Highend Korg, Roland and Ketron stuff we have seen..

As i said, with the (synth) workstation market moving towards performance synths, there is some move for arrangers to move forward, room as a tool for creativity. I still think having all those tools above in a single instrument, would make every creative brain very happy... and if they keep the top layer simple, even hobby players can use all those tools, as for them it would be just a matter of pushing the right button and everything is set...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#417855 - 03/04/16 12:36 PM Re: An arranger, just styles or more? [Re: Dnj]
KORG80 Offline

I'm behind you 100% on the shooby Doo. Maybe they could scrap that in favour of a true top quality harmonizer.

God Bless,
Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online