SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#415050 - 01/22/16 05:35 AM Yamaha Montage... Is it for you?!?
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Now that there are demo videos and specs... Is the Yamaha Montage for you?

I build musical arrangements from scratch. I've used a music workstation since 1989. I love using MIDI to arrange because of... Easy tempo change, pitch change, sound change, patch changes, event edit if a simple mistake was made... And the list goes on.

Montage is not an evolution in the workstation process of music arranging. I use my DAW to work with audio... But I guess at the ripe old age of 42, I am being lead to computer sequencing.

The processing power is impressive... Everything sounds great on the Montage but I would place it in the Jupiter 80... V-Synth... Wavestation category.

Sorry, not for me unless the sequencer was on par with Motif ES/XF!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#415051 - 01/22/16 05:47 AM Re: Yamaha Montage... Is it for you?!? [Re: shueymusic]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
No, as I can do more with computer based software, however for live performance for a musician (Creative), then just like the synths of old (And the latest Jupiter) it will be a great tool which hopefully will rekindle innovation in sound, rather than more of the same as we have had for the last 2 generations or more..

Bill

#415056 - 01/22/16 06:15 AM Re: Yamaha Montage... Is it for you?!? [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

In short NO for MY needs on stage as a OMB......give me an Arranger KB any day,.....
Montage would be better suited for studio, recording, or as a KB player in a band situation like all synths..

#415059 - 01/22/16 06:42 AM Re: Yamaha Montage... Is it for you?!? [Re: shueymusic]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Probably great as a solo synth.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#415061 - 01/22/16 07:17 AM Re: Yamaha Montage... Is it for you?!? [Re: shueymusic]
rosetree
Unregistered

I had hoped for a Montage which would allow for the use of larger sound libraries by means of ssd streaming technology, just like the Kronos - thereby narrowing the quality gap between hardware and software instruments. Additionally, I would definitely have expected that all features of the MoXF/Motif XF would have been at least maintained if not improved.
But
-the full functional sequencer has been reduced to a simplified recorder
-the maximum free flash has been reduced from 4 GB (using Mutec flash boards) to 1.75 GB, so that large libraries cannot be used.
In addition, I think 50% of the instrument are wasted in my case, as I'm absolutely not interested in the FM-X engine (unless Bert's demos manage to turn me into an electronic sound freak).

I still have to check all sound demos in detail, if the ROM sounds are spectacular, a future lightweight version (MoXF successor) might be interesting for me.
However, an updated Korg Krome with Kronos features and an acceptable keybed is perhaps earlier to be expected...

Edited by rosetree (01/22/16 07:23 AM)

#415062 - 01/22/16 07:28 AM Re: Yamaha Montage... Is it for you?!? [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Most of the Things that the Montage can do, can also be done by my Kronos, and then some more.

Most of the Things i love about my Tyros 5 can not be done by the Montage.

I think its a great synth, i just dont have room for it in my setup.. and putting a 3rd keybed on top of my current two is also not an action...

However, i see a future for this keyboard espescially for people comming from Motif MOXF, i still think combining it with Varranger and a small midipad controller might yield great results...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#415063 - 01/22/16 07:30 AM Re: Yamaha Montage... Is it for you?!? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
In short NO for MY needs on stage as a OMB......give me an Arranger KB any day,.....
Montage would be better suited for studio, recording, or as a KB player in a band situation like all synths..

Really?

I think Montage is moving away from teh studio towards live performances... but not for the type of music most of us here prefer.. Its a dance music beast for sure.. and works really well in a band, as you can sync your tempo in realtime with your analogue drummer

http://keyszone.boards.net

#415067 - 01/22/16 07:44 AM Re: Yamaha Montage... Is it for you?!? [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus
as you can sync your tempo in realtime with your analogue drummer

That function could really be a game changer... our drummer would never accept a click via headphones, but this way patterns would be usable, very helpful for pop cover songs especially if there are just singer, dummer, 1 keyboardist and 1 guitarist...
I hope something like this could also be implemented as a separate device which could send the tempo to any synthesizer via midi then.

Edited by rosetree (01/22/16 07:46 AM)

#415071 - 01/22/16 08:03 AM Re: Yamaha Montage... Is it for you?!? [Re: shueymusic]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I like it so far...I was an FM programmer for Yamaha in my early years as a clinician (combo division) and cut my teeth on the DX-7...ended up doing specialized work with the DX-7 MkII.

Yamaha's first FM synth (basically a preset job with up-loadable sounds on data sticks), the GS-1, was 8 operator and subsequently sounded fatter than the fully programmable 6 operator DX-7's which arrived after.

Hopefully this unique blend of AWM2 and the 8 op FM-X will inspire players and programmers alike.

But to answer the question...is the Montage for me? Nope, my trusty Tyros4 still fills all my needs admirably.

Ian

#415072 - 01/22/16 08:05 AM Re: Yamaha Montage... Is it for you?!? [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

Still kinda early in the game lets wait and see what developed with the Montage it's just the beginning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online