SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#414819 - 01/18/16 10:54 AM Space Station question
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I'm still looking at the SSV.3 for my solo gigs.

Just curious. Anybody used this with a mic?

Thing is, for my solo gigs, many times I'm using a mic and my S970 Or Tyros. My audiences are 30 - 40 folks in a small room.

A single Compact Bose works well for these smaller rooms but I wonder about the SS3 for just me with a mic.

I used my HK Nano many times but spent a lot of time fiddling with EQ. My Bose Compact requires little fiddling with EQ.

Thoughts?

The SS3 is getting a lot of positive reviews with keyboard players....not much from singers.

#414821 - 01/18/16 11:16 AM Re: Space Station question [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
When I had one I used mic through the keyboard. It sounded fine away from the stage. I didn't like how and of it sounded on stage, plus I felt I had to use a powered sub bass with it or it sounded bad, compared to either Bose or Nano.
Just my opinion, but you did ask. smile

#414843 - 01/18/16 05:30 PM Re: Space Station question [Re: DonM]
guitpic1 Offline

Tx Don

#414878 - 01/19/16 07:27 AM Re: Space Station question [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Borrowed this form the KC forum. Well done synopsis of the 100+ page thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just got me thinking as I pack my SSv3 for tonight's gig...here's a brief summary of this amp for anyone who has basic questions:

The CPS SpaceStation has stereo 1/4" unbalanced inputs (two 1/4" ins).
It has one 1/4" unbalanced output, labeled Sub Out.
This output is a full-range, summed, mono composite of the L&R input. It can be used to send to FOH (although it has no ground lift, unlike a true DI box), or to another amp or powered speaker to supplement LF (see below).
There are no other inputs or outputs.
It weighs 40lbs.

The front speaker is a coaxial (two drivers) unit with an 8" woofer and a MF driver. There's also a tweeter front mounted.
The side speaker doesn't put out stereo, rather it outputs a L-R signal that is product of the proprietary CPS processing.
While it's rated at 100W (front and side) and 40W for the MR driver, the actual perceived volume on the gig is much louder than the numbers might suggest.
Thus, some band members on stage might have issues if they are in direct line of fire of the side speaker only (e.g., drummers, bass players). Often the solution is putting some hard surface (angled at a 45 degree angle) to direct the sound forward. A road case or home made baffle (plexiglass, masonite...) works for this purpose.

The benefit of the Front / Side firing configuration (with CPS processing) is a very wide, large "bloom" of the L&R inputs for the audience...indeed, for the entire room within earshot of the speaker. This cannot be underestimated. However, because the composite "bloom" really comes together some distance away from the speaker, if you as a player use it as a traditional near-field monitor, you really won't be hearing what the audience experiences. This can be initially disconcerting and disappointing from the player's perspective. Fears can be allayed by having someone play your rig and listening at a distance, from the intended audience position, to hear what your rig really sounds like.

It is worth mentioning this is not intended as a "left and right" stereo amp in the classic sense. It can be argued this is not a bad thing, as true stereo only presents its best imaging in a relatively narrow sweet spot. The natural corollary is everyone NOT in said sweet spot hears something less and other than intended...and that the "have nots" are normally many more people than the "haves" (this is beginning to sound like an economics lecture).

As the SSv3 has an 8" woofer, some have reported that LF reproduction is challenged. This is especially true when playing synth bass and similar. Some users combine the SSv3 with either a powered subwoofer or a bass combo amp, with good results. Whether you feel this is necessary or superfluous is a matter of personal taste. Many are delighted with the amp without any additional LF support.

Once an owner gets used to the new sound and experience, many are delighted to switch over from other typical amplification solutions (e.g., powered PA speakers, all in one keyboard combo amps). But enough forum members have tried it and decided not to adopt it that it should be noted the SSv3 may not be for everyone. As with all gear purchases, the SSv3 does many things well - let your ears decide if its for you.

Full disclosure: While I'm not a paid endorsee and have no relationship to CPS, I'm a happy owner and user (I paid full price retail, brand new), and thus while I've tried to be balanced and objective, my opinion may be inevitably biased.

Perhaps this will help someone interested in a quick thumbnail summary of this amp.

Tim

#414907 - 01/19/16 11:11 AM Re: Space Station question [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The biggest point I can make is, the audience hears all the nuances of this speaker, but, unless it is positioned far enough away, and the side speaker firing down toward the floor(sideways on a stand) or in a corner, the musician is not able to gauge the true effect.

#414956 - 01/20/16 02:32 PM Re: Space Station question [Re: Bernie9]
guitpic1 Offline

Thanks again to all for taking your time to respond.

I may order one, if I can get the price I want.

I'm definitely curious. I have to bear in mind that I play in smaller rooms and the SS3 might not have full advantage.

Rog L

#414959 - 01/20/16 02:48 PM Re: Space Station question [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: guitpic1

I'm definitely curious. I have to bear in mind that I play in smaller rooms and the SS3 might not have full advantage.

Rog L

buy with a return policy for sure...

#414990 - 01/21/16 05:13 AM Re: Space Station question [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: guitpic1

Rog L

buy with a return policy for sure...

Good advice.

Rog L

#414992 - 01/21/16 05:47 AM Re: Space Station question [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I use mine in small rooms as well as large halls. All I said was to have the unit far enough away,like 6-8 ft if possible. This is for the benefit of the musician. The audience will always hear it fine.

There is always a return policy, and Aspen is setting up rental applied to purchase in some areas, as he can.

#414995 - 01/21/16 06:06 AM Re: Space Station question [Re: Bernie9]
WDMcM
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I use mine in small rooms as well as large halls. All I said was to have the unit far enough away,like 6-8 ft if possible. This is for the benefit of the musician. The audience will always hear it fine.

There is always a return policy, and Aspen is setting up rental applied to purchase in some areas, as he can.

Agreed, I have found that a minimum of 5 feet behind me is necessary to get the full effect of the system. The problem is a lot of times the stage area just isn't deep enough to pull that off. It still sounds good, but the spaciousness is kind of lost. As Bernie9 said though, the audience is always going to benefit from the system.

FWIW, I use an SWR WORKINGMAN'S 10 under my SS and made a little wedge to tilt the SS back slightly. I also made a baffle that direct the side firing speaker forward a bit. The wings are adjustable so the amount of dispersion can be customized based on the location of the SS. The baffle is held in place with velcro for easy removal. Prior to making this baffle, I tried placing the SS on an amp stand sideways so the 'side' speaker was facing the ground and ceiling but I hated the sound it produced.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online