SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#412512 - 12/04/15 11:53 AM piano sample length on psr
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
i have a psr 1000(i know its old) i just notice that if i hit a note its duration is only 5 sec and stops . it does fade like a real piano but after 5 sec it cuts off. so i tried the same thing on my casio wk7600 , kurzweil sp76, korg krome and roland fa6 all were in the 7 to 10 sec range and no cut off. i have a baldwin acrosonic its duration is 16 sec. so is this normal for digital pianos . also it seems to be intermittant on the psr 1000. any ideas
thanks

#412518 - 12/04/15 01:52 PM Re: piano sample length on psr [Re: wrinkles303]
rosetree
Unregistered

Are you just talking about how long the tone is sustained when pressing a key, or the real sample length? These are two different things, just to make sure there's no misunderstanding. There can be a short sample which is looped, so the tone can still have a very long sustain of 10 seconds or more. In a synth you could edit the piano tone to endless duration by changing the amplitude envelope even if the sample of the real piano tone is short, I guess you know that? (Except probably the Krome/Kronos, as it has unlooped piano samples, which decay as the real piano does, so probably you can't edit it to endless, I'm not sure about that.) I don't know if these things can be changed in a PSR arranger.

Here's a nice graph of the envelope I'm talking about:
http://www.nathansheldon.com/xp-80/TVA_envelope.html

Edited by rosetree (12/04/15 02:04 PM)

#412520 - 12/04/15 02:09 PM Re: piano sample length on psr [Re: wrinkles303]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

Wrinkles, I just checked the S-950 and 3000 and the total fade time was 12 seconds for the grand piano. Now, it drops about 70 percent in the first 5 seconds, then gradually fades for another 5 seconds until it's completely gone.

Keep in mind you can change the decay time using the Voice Set feature of the keyboard and some creative editing of the voice, then save the information to a User Voice, which can be recalled at any time, or stored in a registration. Before going through all that, though, try doing a master system reset by holding down the rightmost white key while powering up the keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#412523 - 12/04/15 02:45 PM Re: piano sample length on psr [Re: travlin'easy]
wrinkles303 Offline

Thanks , I do a reset and see what happens. I've been playing this keyboard since. 2003, and I never noticed this. I know I never would hold a note, or chord that long so maybe that's why I never caught it on stage, but now I'm only doing studio stuff in my little studio I'm hearing this. It really is not an issue for me , I was curious if anyone else experienced this. And I'll also check into edit the piano voice. Maybe way over due for an upgrade , hmmmm. Oh honey can we talk.....................? Korg pa , or a new yammie.

#412524 - 12/04/15 03:33 PM Re: piano sample length on psr [Re: wrinkles303]
wrinkles303 Offline

I just turned it on. Played s Bb , took 10 sec to fade ,no cut off. I'm going to leave it on for a while and see if it happen after it warms up.

#412529 - 12/04/15 06:05 PM Re: piano sample length on psr [Re: wrinkles303]
wrinkles303 Offline

im sorry i was referring to how long the tone is sustained when pressing a key, i will update tomorrow about letting it warm up first and see if it acts up.

#412530 - 12/04/15 07:39 PM Re: piano sample length on psr [Re: wrinkles303]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Wrinkles, that's what I was referring to as well. If I press down the middle C key, using the Yamaha Grand Piano, that piano voice can be heard for about 12 seconds and starts to fade at 5 seconds.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online