SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#409701 - 10/16/15 03:56 PM TYROS 4 Senior Prom Gig..
Dnj Offline

party

Edited by Dnj (10/16/15 03:57 PM)

#409805 - 10/18/15 04:47 PM Re: TYROS 4 Senior Prom Gig.. [Re: Dnj]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks for posting that Donny. Have you figured out Yamahas VH2 yet? It sounds quite good here. I have noticed in the past that it works well for female vocalists.

God Bless,
Don

#409807 - 10/18/15 06:01 PM Re: TYROS 4 Senior Prom Gig.. [Re: KORG80]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
What a wonderful genuine feel video. We are used to videos of professional players showing off or optimizing performances to sell arranger keyboards. Plus we all love to be a critic or have our own biases.

To these senior folks, it was probably pure gold to have someone take their time and plan an occasion like this, from mostly volunteers, family and a keyboard player/singer pouring out her heart and soul. It didn't need to be a famous musician or top paid professional, just someone who cared enough to put on the best of their ability.

Music is universal, it reaches down to our soul, it can bring back memories, emotions, and easily shared with others. Some might view the video as somewhat corny, but to these mostly wheelchair seniors, they probably hadn't had such a good time for years.

I played senior homes, mostly during the Christmas season, and for several years invited to play right on Christmas where one of my friends lived because of declining health. They were so thrilled to hear Christmas music and carols right on Christmas. It was so sad as most stuck around in their wheelchairs watching as I packed my equipment up. For most, their was no point going back to their rooms because no family, or no friends would end up visiting them that day. Sometimes no fault of the family because they might be living across country, but it always was so sad to me. Mind you, the staff did their best, as well as other volunteers, but not the same as a relative or friend.

Still, probably taken care of better then the majority of people in the world, but it is was it is. My hats off to anyone who plays and performance for our seniors or any special needs groups, especially volunteers. You bring more joy to these people then you can realize, as many cannot no longer express themselves like in the past, but the music sure gets in, as toes tap or eyes brighten up or just the feel that someone was doing something for them.

Sorry to ramble on, but if I ever got to a feeble old age, I hope some family and friends would take care of me and give some attention as in the video. We need more Christmas and more God Bless.

Marcus

#409809 - 10/18/15 07:06 PM Re: TYROS 4 Senior Prom Gig.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Well said, Marcus.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#409811 - 10/18/15 07:37 PM Re: TYROS 4 Senior Prom Gig.. [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
My friend Sal (the guitar player from our band in NY) and I play a 'Senior Prom' as an annual event at an assisted living/NH in NJ ... the folks have a great time - the staff helps them get dressed up for the event, they have a place to take 'prom' pictures, and a 'prom king and queen' are crowned ... there is one woman whose only complaint is that she can't get people up to dance with her - we found out that last year she was 98 years young !!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online