SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#408371 - 09/15/15 06:47 PM Orchestra Style for hymns
Torch Offline

I was looking for some orchestra styles to make backup tracks for hymns. There are only a couple of very basic orchestra styles in my 2013 BIAB. None of my arrangers have any orchestra styles suitable for hymns. I made a midi file using BIAB. Of course, it took less than a minute to type in basically 3 chords. If anyone cares to listen to it, this is what BIAB did. Pretty basic while BIAB has some great styles and they can sound fantastic with their "Real Tracks."

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kx8c9gqxxlnzjg/Orchestra%20Hymn.MID?dl=0

I am getting the Garritan Ultimate Collection which include Instant Orchesta which might help quickly write a pretty decent orchestra arrangement.

If anybody has some ideas to share, I'd to hear what you have to say.

Thanks
Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#408373 - 09/15/15 11:08 PM Re: Orchestra Style for hymns [Re: Torch]
Bachus Offline

On tyros 5 there are freeplay styles, witouth rythm that follow your tempo, some of them should be most suited for hymns

http://keyszone.boards.net

#408415 - 09/16/15 08:47 PM Re: Orchestra Style for hymns [Re: Bachus]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
On tyros 5 there are freeplay styles, witouth rythm that follow your tempo, some of them should be most suited for hymns

Thanks. I will go through my library of Tyros styles that can be played by Live-Styler.

#408440 - 09/17/15 09:20 AM Re: Orchestra Style for hymns [Re: Torch]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Torch
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Thanks. I will go through my library of Tyros styles that can be played by Live-Styler.

I dont think livestyler can play freeplay styles, same goes probably for varranger..

Dj, freeplay and session styles are of a different kind.. I know livestyler supports the standard SSF1 style format of Yamaha, but i guess for SFF2 you probably need to get Varanger

http://keyszone.boards.net

#408548 - 09/18/15 06:26 PM Re: Orchestra Style for hymns [Re: Bachus]
Torch Offline

I dont think livestyler can play freeplay styles, same goes probably for varranger..

Dj, freeplay and session styles are of a different kind.. I know livestyler supports the standard SSF1 style format of Yamaha, but i guess for SFF2 you probably need to get Varanger [/quote]

vArranger is more money than I am willing to spend especially when I know that I won't probably use it as an arranger but more as a patch management.
I found this app that will convert SFF1 and SFF2 styles.
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style2_5.htm

#409504 - 10/12/15 08:02 PM Re: Orchestra Style for hymns [Re: Bachus]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I've been away from SZ for a while and just saw this post. I DO have a Tyros 5 and agree that Free Play styles are great for hymns. However there's a bit of misinformation here...

Free play styles don't "follow" your tempo. They don't have a drum track or rhythmic bass, mostly just pads and chord phrases with a lengthy attack and release so they are quite flexible.

They can be programmed and pretty much duplicated using only SFF1 technology. Ian on the PSRtutorial forum created a free play style that worked on my old PSR-S900.

If you can find Ethereal Movie, for example, available for download, I would try it with BIAB, it might work just fine. Worst case if it crashes, restart and don't do it again ;-)

Edited by TedS (10/12/15 08:03 PM)

#409512 - 10/13/15 05:00 AM Re: Orchestra Style for hymns [Re: TedS]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: TedS
I've been away from SZ for a while and just saw this post. I DO have a Tyros 5 and agree that Free Play styles are great for hymns. However there's a bit of misinformation here...

Free play styles don't "follow" your tempo. They don't have a drum track or rhythmic bass, mostly just pads and chord phrases with a lengthy attack and release so they are quite flexible.

They can be programmed and pretty much duplicated using only SFF1 technology. Ian on the PSRtutorial forum created a free play style that worked on my old PSR-S900.

Like you, Ted, I've been mostly away from SZ lately, and I also saw the info posted by Bachus...and, you are right...FreePlay styles don't follow your tempo...rather, the bass line and pads (and chord sections) all retrigger smoothly allowing rubato playing. For my own freeplay styles (I'm using a Tyros4) I've added/subbed in string/pad phrases that slowly evolve over time...these were taken from (and modified) from other Yamaha styles.

The style I made for your S900 (and earlier 3K) has no mega voices so will probably convert easier to other formats (Korg/Roland) and was originally based on a still current Yamaha style called PianoOrchBallad which I first discovered on the extra style disk that came with the old PSR-2000!

It's also on some Clavinova CVP instruments.

Yamaha FreePlay styles with mega (or SA/SA2) voices might be a lot trickier to convert, but with proper tweaking, may work satisfactorily on other brands, however, sometimes the juice may not be worth the squeeze. wink

Ian

PS...The occasional use of the Sync/Stop button adds a nice touch.

#409519 - 10/13/15 07:37 AM Re: Orchestra Style for hymns [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ian ... I was recently wondering how you are doing ... hope all is going well ...

#409527 - 10/13/15 08:58 AM Re: Orchestra Style for hymns [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Ian ... I was recently wondering how you are doing ... hope all is going well ...

Thanks for asking, Tony. I've been "adjusting" to retirement...it's a nice respite after many years of clinics, and gigging. I honestly do not miss it one bit. I guess it was time.

I still play for several hours a day and have been taking a break from the studio until winter sets in again.

It would be nice to get those Yamaha FreeStyles converted to Korg format...they are really handy.

Best wishes to you,

Ian

#409530 - 10/13/15 10:03 AM Re: Orchestra Style for hymns [Re: Torch]
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Greetings,

I've been leading a contemporary service for over 17 years. I would suggest isolating parts from styles, you may find something to work with. Here is an example. On most arranger keyboards, a Baroque Style is usually a upbeat tempo with quick string parts.

If you isolate string parts from a baroque style and slowed the tempo down to 72bpm, you may find what your looking for.
Just a thought..

You can hear an example of isolating string parts from a Baroque Style on one of my tunes called Shoreline : strings come in around 30 seconds.

https://www.reverbnation.com/danoneil/song/18292389-shoreline-new-recording

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online