SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#406365 - 08/04/15 09:10 PM Here we go again......no keyboards in the stores.
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Casio has upped the ante with their latest piano keyboards. I called the music stores and the only one out on display is the Casio PX-160. But the other Casio keyboards look very tempting.....LED screen, 20,000 rhythm styles, 12,000 sounds, 180 note keyboard, and 3 years of “free arranger lessons!.”

Seriously.....anybody manage to hear any of these new ones.....

PX-160
PX-360
PX-560
CDP-130
CGP-700

#406571 - 08/07/15 10:23 AM Re: Here we go again......no keyboards in the stores. [Re: Mark79100]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Two things burn me up about Casio's product line:
The "workstations" don't have a real MIDI out. What gives?
The PX series pianos have excellent voice editing, but not full style creation facilites. So if you really want to write your own styles, you would need to have a WK in addition to a PX.

Finally NEITHER of them have a "Synchro Stop" or a way to turn off arranger memory (in other words, I want the accompaniment tones to cease when I release the keys.) I can't believe they omitted this very important feature, which IIRC was present on the MZ-2000, their last true TOTL model.

It seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to add this through software. We'll see...

Edited by TedS (08/07/15 10:24 AM)

#406581 - 08/07/15 01:06 PM Re: Here we go again......no keyboards in the stores. [Re: TedS]
Bachus Offline

I know the 360 and 560 will not be available in stores untill oktober... They have just been announced

http://keyszone.boards.net

#406767 - 08/10/15 09:06 PM Re: Here we go again......no keyboards in the stores. [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I'm looking at these Casio's just for the piano part of it. The styles, sounds, etc would just be icing on the cake.

I've tried their pianos in the store in the past, but they never seem to match up to what Yamaha puts out in portable pianos.

Still I'm anxious to see this CGP-700......only 26 lbs.....40W sound system with 6 speakers onboard...colored LED screen.....$799 street price.

Mark

#406783 - 08/11/15 02:52 AM Re: Here we go again......no keyboards in the stores. [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark79100
I'm looking at these Casio's just for the piano part of it. The styles, sounds, etc would just be icing on the cake.

I've tried their pianos in the store in the past, but they never seem to match up to what Yamaha puts out in portable pianos.

Still I'm anxious to see this CGP-700......only 26 lbs.....40W sound system with 6 speakers onboard...colored LED screen.....$799 street price.

Mark

Nothing beats the Casio PX-5S when it comes to portable affordable pianos, yamaha cant even come close at sub €1000 euro prices..

And the PX 560 will be a home version of the PX-5S

Personally i think at the sub €1000 price range its Casio that rules all over. And Yamaha that just cant come close..

#406802 - 08/11/15 08:13 AM Re: Here we go again......no keyboards in the stores. [Re: Bachus]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I sell both Yamaha and Casio Privia products. I too am excited about the new touch screen Privia models but don't forget the Yamaha DGX650 is a $799 map great sounding digital piano/arranger that's been the best seller for over a year now. What the Privia has been lacking that Yamaha has over it are the quality of all the other voices, not just Pianos and the quality of the styles. Almost all the other features are equal but Yamaha has had a more intuitive operating system. I hope the new touch screen improves the awkward operating system of Casio's previous models. From the videos I've seen it should be a huge improvement but I still haven't heard many of the "other" sounds except the Pianos and only one modern style. I've been told everything has been improved but I will wait to be the judge when I receive my first units.
(Retired 2021)

#406907 - 08/13/15 08:14 AM Re: Here we go again......no keyboards in the stores. [Re: Mark79100]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

George,
A honest dealer who gives facts, not fiction ! Good for you. Lloyd

#406909 - 08/13/15 09:13 AM Re: Here we go again......no keyboards in the stores. [Re: George Kaye]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: George Kaye
I sell both Yamaha and Casio Privia products. I too am excited about the new touch screen Privia models but don't forget the Yamaha DGX650 is a $799 map great sounding digital piano/arranger that's been the best seller for over a year now. What the Privia has been lacking that Yamaha has over it are the quality of all the other voices, not just Pianos and the quality of the styles. Almost all the other features are equal but Yamaha has had a more intuitive operating system. I hope the new touch screen improves the awkward operating system of Casio's previous models. From the videos I've seen it should be a huge improvement but I still haven't heard many of the "other" sounds except the Pianos and only one modern style. I've been told everything has been improved but I will wait to be the judge when I receive my first units.

I must say, i do like the other sounds of the Px-5s which are also in the 560.. Where they fall short are the brass, wood and wind, but then thats where no brand can currently follow Yammaha... But the Hex sounds make it a perfect allround instrument..

Weaknesses of the Casio are the styles and the old interface, strengths are keybed feel in that pricerange, piano and other keyboard sounds and their arpeggiator..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online