SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#399863 - 02/24/15 11:56 AM Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi to all of you that play arranger keyboards at Senior facilities such as retirement communities, senior centers, etc.

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in the past - but since it just happened to me *again*, I thought i'd bring it up to see if this is common everywhere. I'm in NC, USA ... it seems TOO common that there is high turnover in Activity Directors. And, almost always, the new person has NO info about entertainers that have played at their facilities for years.

I wish I had kept a "log" of all the times this has happened (and from locals I talk with, happens to all the entertainers at these places) ... an AD leaves (takes a new job somewhere else), a new AD comes in, and the new AD has NO files given to them on entertainers.

I have a place that I've played at for ~5-6 years. I probably play 6-8 times a year at this place. I did a gig for them just ~5 weeks ago. I usually hear back from them frequently. I hadn't heard anything so I called the AD. "She is no longer here, XYZ is now the new AD". So, I speak with XYZ. I tell them who I am, and ask if they have the info on me (and other entertainers) and they say, "No, I'm looking to build up a list of entertainers". This has happened at least a dozen times, in 5-6 different places, over the last bunch of years!

You'd think the old AD would leave files/info on entertainers for the new person! So, I have to start all over - try to reach them, try to "convince" them of who I and and what I do and that the residents always have liked what I do ... send them promo info, photos, price list, arrange to meet with them to "sell" myself, etc. etc. - and "try to get in" all over again. Frustrating!!! Then, all is good for some number of years, until the AD leaves and a new one comes in!

Is this a common thing that happens to others in other parts of the US (and other countries)? Has anyone found a "solution" other than starting over with a place and a new AD?

Oh well, I guess it's part of this business!

-Jim

#399864 - 02/24/15 12:02 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: jimlaing]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
When I was doing more of this, I made it a point to also meet the Administrator, invite him/her to the show, etc.
This way when the new AD arrives, and it WILL happen, you still have a friend in the building!
I also made photos and recordings of at least one show in every facility. Then you can use these to show the new AD what's up.

#399867 - 02/24/15 12:41 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

It's a very common thing with AD turnarounds, new AD's like to bring in their "OWN" people" nothing new with that & you get booted no matter how good you think you are,....It's their loss IMO, & most dont care anyway they just want to keep in budget and fill the entertainment slots per month so they look like they are doing their jobs, most ride on a high horse and don't even show up to the shows they just sending in just the assistant AD's to do all the work at the gig,,...............most times they move to a new facility and will call you to play there no biggie because they now you, ....
it's a never-ending cycle with AD's....and then wait 30 to 90 days for your $$$$ mad
who cares?..... there so many NH places to play,...just move on to the next NH.
One OUT & Another IN simple..

Good luck.

Edited by Dnj (02/24/15 12:44 PM)

#399868 - 02/24/15 12:45 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: Dnj]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
But, I can imagine it's tough after you've formed personal relationships with the residents. Tough for them and you, and you don't want to just move on to the next NH.

#399873 - 02/24/15 01:18 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: OldNewb]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: OldNewb
But, I can imagine it's tough after you've formed personal relationships with the residents. Tough for them and you, and you don't want to just move on to the next NH.

It's part of the business.....residents, patients are always leaving after rehab, or sadly pass away also...nothing lasts forever in this game.
So you have to CONSTANTLY recruit NEW Work year round. !!

Edited by Dnj (02/24/15 01:19 PM)

#399877 - 02/24/15 02:10 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Admittedly. I don't work NH/AL places nearly as much as Donny, Gary and some others, but I have been fortunate in that I have not seen much AD turnover; in the place I had most of my work the AD was always VERY involved with the residents while I was performing, getting them to sing, dance, whatever they could do; and the MOST I've ever waited for a check was 2 weeks ... At one facility I even got paid the day I played ! ...
However, as I had posted some time ago, I did lose a fair amount of work because "they decided to try some new talent this year" ... well, that's how I got in last year, so I should not have been surprised ...

#399884 - 02/24/15 04:14 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: jimlaing]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Similar experience here, I was a regular at a number of NH/Assisted linving facilities and once there's a new AD, things changed........and not for the better.

#399886 - 02/24/15 05:57 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
ADs are paid a lot of money in Maryland - A LOT OF MONEY. The turnover here is very light, might lose one every three to five years at most. When this happens, I have no trouble retaining my current schedule with the facility. There was just one exception to this, a place where I performed every month for 15 years, and every special function, which amounted to at least another half dozen jobs a year. When the AD left that I had worked with all those years, the new person that took his place, a lady, could have cared less. She even stiffed me for a performance payment, which I'll write off on my income tax. She's a nut case, to say the least, the residents want her out of there in the worst way, but so far, it hasn't happened. Consequently, I will no longer be performing there, and neither will any of the other OMB NH guys I know.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#405369 - 07/23/15 11:26 AM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi ... just had another experience with this "issue" today. I called a place I had played at dozens of times in the last year. I called since there seemed to be no calls from them after they used to schedule me regularly.

Upon calling the place, I find that the AD I knew was no longer there. I spoke with the new AD. She asked all sorts of questions ... such as "what kind of music do you play"? What is your rate? What instrument do you play? What is your show like?" etc. Then she said she'd see about "perhaps getting me in to play sometime". I offered to come in to talk with in person (ideally, I like to meet AD's in person; it makes a better intro than just on the phone or through email). But she wasn't interested in that.

So time will tell whether I ever get to play there again. . . I will send her my little "promo package", and follow up in a few weeks - but it does seem that I have to "start all over" at this place. Thankfully I have plenty of other places where I play regularly ... it's just frustrating at times though, when this happens ...

-Jim

#405375 - 07/23/15 12:59 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: jimlaing]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The few times I played for a "for profit" nursing home, the whole thing was a rippoff!

VA's and other non-profit places are fine; fun to work.

At the "for profit's", staff members, including the AD's are generally hustlers. Not worth the time.

At least that's my experience.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online