SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#398631 - 01/24/15 11:23 PM Yamaha and Roland styles.....yummy!!!
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I just spent the last few hours listening to style demo's on Youtube. I'm really impressed with the ones from the Yamaha PSR-950 and the Roland BK series (keyboard and rhythm machine). They are really on top of their game with those styles. Very life-like, don't sound programmed, great licks in the background, and the basic styles are extremely creative. I can see they spent time on these styles. As far back as I can remember they always came up with gems.

So what do you guys think? And, any of you able to compare them with the PA3x?

I'm starting to really get inspired the more I hear these styles. Or, as Don M said in another post, can I just get them off of.....

http://createsongstyles.com/relax/

...and use them on my PA3x?

I DID note that the Yamaha is only 25 lbs. I think I made a mistake buying a 76 note PA3x....total weight with case probably about 60 lbs!

Mark

#398701 - 01/26/15 07:44 AM Re: Yamaha and Roland styles.....yummy!!! [Re: Mark79100]
DannyUK Offline

Hi Mark,

I own an S950 and no doubt its a fantastic instrument, I can't fault it at all. Sounds and styles are equally as good and as you say the styles are realistic in terms of them being associated to a lot of well known songs.

However.....

I have also purchased a PA900 around about last April. I've had it long enough now to place my final judgement in comparison to what I've owned and I really do think it has the best styles ive heard, the arrangement, variation and realism including the stunning quality of the drums just is unmatched. But in saying that i'll never do without the yamaha either so I'll just enjoy both smile

Edited by DannyUK (01/26/15 07:45 AM)

#398940 - 01/29/15 10:49 PM Re: Yamaha and Roland styles.....yummy!!! [Re: DannyUK]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply here. Been very busy lately.

So you have both keyboards that I've been looking into?

I've been trying to find an S950 and a PA900 locally to look at but, as has been previously mentioned, the stores don't stock them anymore. With a bit of luck, Frank (AudioWorks) will have them both on display in his store and I will take a train there to look at them. Frank's a good musician too so that will help me to see the best of them!

Now....do you think the PA900 styles are much improved over the PA3x? And do you think so much that it just might be worth taking that train up to Frank's place?

And you mentioned the PA900 drums. Noticeably better than those plastic PA3x drum sounds, do you think?

I suppose I should go down to the library (high speed Internet) and watch some demo's but it's nothing like hearing them live!

Any other comments would be appreciated as I'm seriously considering buying another keyboard and using my PA3x as an ironing board.

I lived and played in London for 10 years. How is the music scene there now? Are they still using one-man-bands in the pubs and working men's clubs.....just not as much?

Mark

#398964 - 01/30/15 07:29 AM Re: Yamaha and Roland styles.....yummy!!! [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
PA900 used the same sounds as PA3X, just lighter weight and it has dropped some features. It does have a larger screen.
If you don't like the PA3X, then you won't like the PA900 either.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online