SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#397652 - 01/03/15 03:35 AM Midi Files Needed
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I need to modernize my playlist as far as playing over SMFs is concerned. I use styles 90% of the time, playing hundreds of tunes from the 30's to 70's. I have that many midikaraoke files for vocal.

The problem is I recognize newer tunes when I hear them, but can't recall titles to search for. If I could get a list or files of must have tunes from 70's to 80's, I would appreciate it.

#397653 - 01/03/15 06:23 AM Re: Midi Files Needed [Re: Bernie9]
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hi Bernie

A good place to start is:

www.oldiestunes.com

Its free !!!!!!!!!! all you need is to register. Use our powerful search engine to find what you are looking for. What you will get is a midi file, a fake sheet and a mp3

Ron

Edited by rphillipchuk (01/03/15 06:41 AM)

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#397654 - 01/03/15 06:53 AM Re: Midi Files Needed [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I need to modernize my playlist as far as playing over SMFs is concerned. I use styles 90% of the time, playing hundreds of tunes from the 30's to 70's. I have that many midikaraoke files for vocal.

The problem is I recognize newer tunes when I hear them, but can't recall titles to search for. If I could get a list or files of must have tunes from 70's to 80's, I would appreciate it.

you got mail Bernie cool2

#397658 - 01/03/15 11:05 AM Re: Midi Files Needed [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Ron
I have your sight bookmarked, but forgot all about it-thanks.

Donny
Thank you

#397663 - 01/03/15 01:32 PM Re: Midi Files Needed [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I understand what you are trying to do Bernie. My thoughts; Begin to tune in and listen, and listen, you will know what is good.

In my band years in New York I had to sing many songs that maybe I should not have. Johnny B. Good is one of the songs that I played at almost every event. When I listen to the original recording I knew I fell short; this is when I turned to the Harmony Vocalizer for help. I heard Sinatra sing Leroy Brown – he should not have sang that song; he did not have the feel.

I did what most musicians do when they first start collecting Midi files, I could not get them into my PC fast enough. 90% of my files have never been touched. The sad part is that most of the midi files that I got from the internet were not very good. My sax playing friend spends hours editing them until he gets what he wants. He has little choice playing a melody instrument.

Wow, I’m running off here. What I am trying to say is that because off age and exposure I am limited. I search for that song that fits John keeping my limitation right up front. I have heard too many musicians sing songs that they should never had touched. So now I am in the business of hiding my voice in the middle of my TC Helicon – it works. Keep listening to rock on YouTube.

John C.
PS, I am not putting myself down here; many of the younger musicians that are into Big Band/Sinatra also fall a bit short. Bernie, I’m trying but I am not sure any of this helps.

#397664 - 01/03/15 01:52 PM Re: Midi Files Needed [Re: Bernie9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
John C., My fail-safe system kicks in when I do songs I shouldn't do. We've been married 34 years and she has no reservations as far as telling me "don't do that song". I don't always listen though.
I cannot do Piano Man properly. I have to either start it so low that it sounds bad, or modulate on the chorus, and then go back down for the next verse. There are others of course. We can't all do every type song.

#397667 - 01/03/15 01:56 PM Re: Midi Files Needed [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ditto!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#397669 - 01/03/15 02:14 PM Re: Midi Files Needed [Re: Bernie9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
... one other thought! I have become, over the years, a jack-of-all trades type musician. I can do a somewhat decent job with most types of music.
I'm not certain that is always a good idea though. It might well be better to find your niche and concentrate on that. For example Russ can play anything, but he markets himself primarily as a jazz artist in the venues where he works for the public. There are quite a number of guys around here that do nothing but Country, or nothing but Blues. Several bands do just 50's, 60's, 70's. They have found their niche and it seems to be working.
I suppose my niche is that I don't have one. I know my reputation on this forum is being a primarily country music player but that really isn't true. I do enjoy doing it and do it a lot, but I sometimes go all night without doing a country song. It all depends on the audience and what I think they want to hear and to what they will respond.
Hope this isn't getting too far off topic, but it's cold and rainy and the house is full of my in-laws! smile

I'm editing this post because I just checked my Facebook page and found this post from one of my local musician friends.

"Well-- tonite we kick off our new year at Bossier City -- VFW on Jeter St. 7:00 til 11:00 -- join myself, Tom Coty, Berto, and Little Joe Perot, for some hand clappin', toe tappin', finger lickin', country pickin'. If you enjoy GOOD country music-- we promise you a good time. If you show up and don't like country music--- well it's gonna be a LONG NITE."

Edited by DonM (01/03/15 02:19 PM)

#397677 - 01/03/15 06:01 PM Re: Midi Files Needed [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Don I love the way cold and rainy and in-laws went together.
Ha Ha

John C.

#397681 - 01/03/15 09:13 PM Re: Midi Files Needed [Re: Bernie9]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
We always knew when my mother-in-law walked in the house for a visit...the furnace used to switch on...and, the mice started throwing themselves in the traps.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online