SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#391196 - 07/26/14 08:46 AM Simulating Acoustic Piano Comping
NoteBender Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
When I simulate a regular acoustic piano doing accompaniment with a walking bass line with my left hand and chords with my right hand on my 61 key board; I select the Sound I want, turn off the Split, and drop the sound by one octave so the voicing I want is right of center.

Now if I want to see if I can get similar comping using the Split with some of the auto accompaniment features, I see a few hurdles. First the simplest, to be able to play the root note and its octave from the farthest most left key on the board “C” with an octave C up to and including B and its upper octave B; I need to move my split point so the Upper board starts at C4 (or the 3rd C from the left on a standard 61 key board).

After this I see choosing a suitable piano Sound, lowering the Lower section by 3 octaves from +2 to -1, and initially turning off most if not all the accomp so that I have Drum/Perc only.

Since I'm new at this, I just wondered what others may have experienced in simulating an acoustic piano doing comping.

#391210 - 07/27/14 05:23 AM Re: Simulating Acoustic Piano Comping [Re: NoteBender]
NoteBender Offline

I've come to suspect that what I've asked about doesn't make sense. The board will give me what I need (drums/perc, etc) without using the split.

Anyway, that's what new people do when they don't know anybody that plays an arranger KB to ask - they sometimes ask nonsensical questions. LOL

#391211 - 07/27/14 06:37 AM Re: Simulating Acoustic Piano Comping [Re: NoteBender]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I don't think it nonsensical at all. I have tried all kinds of configurations myself, and the only thing I know for sure is that you best know root and both inversions to all chords when playng split piano.

#391213 - 07/27/14 07:58 AM Re: Simulating Acoustic Piano Comping [Re: NoteBender]
NoteBender Offline

So far I've been pretty good at using inversions to keep most chords grouped within a single octave span.

#391215 - 07/27/14 10:20 AM Re: Simulating Acoustic Piano Comping [Re: NoteBender]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I use 61 keys, and my split point is at D4, which gives me 2 octaves for bass and 3 for chords. Many "piano" players prefer less bass area, but I'm a bassist first, so I like the flexibility of the wider range. I also lower the octave of the right hand ... it suits my vocal range better and makes a fuller sound.
A typical setup for me is LH bass, RH Rhodes (with a string layer), and an acoustic drum kit. I can play all night like that and never miss the arranger features. My audience, however prefers a little "more" so I mix in some arranger styles, some MP3 backing tracks and some straight piano (usually electric) songs.
It's a good compromise for my stuff.

Regarding the 2 octave bass range - It's like having a 5 string bassist with me. He can hit the low "C" and dance around in the upper register when he's feeling "melodic" or "McCartney-esq!"
Good luck, however you do it!

#391216 - 07/27/14 11:26 AM Re: Simulating Acoustic Piano Comping [Re: NoteBender]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Like you guys..I prefer to play left hand bass..but I also like to do this without compromise smile

I use 76 keys with a split at F3..this allows me 2 plus octaves for bass, starting with a low E like standard bass.

I use EP or acoustic piano on the 4 plus octaves, and lower the sound an octave..

This is my go to setup, and I use a pedal to bring in the "color" sound if I want (organ, scat, brass etc).
My keyboard has 6 tones available all the time, 3 left and 3 right..so I do not need to rely on a zillion registrations..One or two will do the job.. wink
Having an all in one keyboard, even at 46 pounds is still ideal for me..I haven't found anything to change my decision..not to change.. smile

Edited by Fran Carango (07/27/14 11:28 AM)

#391219 - 07/27/14 12:07 PM Re: Simulating Acoustic Piano Comping [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When I use arranger play..I usually use piano mode, with just drums and bass...sometimes I use rhythm guitar part too..I find the keyboard follows nicely to what I play..
I always use the bass on feature ..This gives me the best control ..with arranger play..and the 76 keys give me all the range I need..

#391404 - 08/02/14 10:55 AM Re: Simulating Acoustic Piano Comping [Re: NoteBender]
NoteBender Offline

Thanks for the tips.

As mentioned by Uncle Dave, for comping I did find moving the Split Point to D4 works well for bass lines on a 61 key board.

I've had a few looks now and again at 73/76 key boards, but in the Arranger category there's very few (more in the regular Workstation category).

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online