SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#390033 - 06/25/14 07:40 AM Nursing Home/ Small gig Powered Speaker?
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (06/25/14 07:41 AM)

#390034 - 06/25/14 07:47 AM Re: Nursing Home/ Small gig Powered Speaker? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, it's only 40-watts peak power - not good for anything larger than a livingroom.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#390036 - 06/25/14 07:55 AM Re: Nursing Home/ Small gig Powered Speaker? [Re: Dnj]
Beakybird Offline

This looks like an option for someone who wants to busk without a power supply.

40W isn't a lot of power.

I think that it's important to buy a good sound system, even for small rooms to 1) capture as much as possible the whole dynamic range of an arranger keyboard, 2) avoid ear fatigue from inferior speakers.

I use 2 FBT Maxx 2A's. If it's a small gig, I only bring in one speaker. But I'm carrying something like 600W of power with me all the time. I probably play louder than other musicians, but almost no one ever complains. Why? Because it sounds great. No one talks about my sound system. They only talk about my performance. Probably a good sign.

I bought these speakers because it had great specs for bass response for a 10", and it won handily in a blind testing shootout with other 10" speakers.

I don't get on the floor much to hear my sound system, but I have heard the Bose L1s and Bose compact, and I'm very impressed. If I were to start over, I would consider the Bose.

#390039 - 06/25/14 08:07 AM Re: Nursing Home/ Small gig Powered Speaker? [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Beakybird
This looks like an option for someone who wants to busk without a power supply.

40W isn't a lot of power.

I think that it's important to buy a good sound system, even for small rooms to 1) capture as much as possible the whole dynamic range of an arranger keyboard, 2) avoid ear fatigue from inferior speakers.

I use 2 FBT Maxx 2A's. If it's a small gig, I only bring in one speaker. But I'm carrying something like 600W of power with me all the time. I probably play louder than other musicians, but almost no one ever complains. Why? Because it sounds great. No one talks about my sound system. They only talk about my performance. Probably a good sign.

I bought these speakers because it had great specs for bass response for a 10", and it won handily in a blind testing shootout with other 10" speakers.

I don't get on the floor much to hear my sound system, but I have heard the Bose L1s and Bose compact, and I'm very impressed. If I were to start over, I would consider the Bose.

Larry so you would switch to TWO Bose copmpacts ? confused1

Personally I wouldn't use the iLOUD although I would like to hear it anyway...and for some really small room gigs 40watts is more then enough...heck many times I have used only my S950 on occasion in the right situation with success headphone .....don't let the numbers fool you.

#390042 - 06/25/14 08:47 AM Re: Nursing Home/ Small gig Powered Speaker? [Re: Dnj]
rosetree
Unregistered

My well proven choice is:
- for very small gigs: Bose Sounddock portable or Bose Lifestyle Roommate or both (they sound identical) - just 4 pounds and very powerful
- for medium small gigs: FBT Jolly 5 BA or the new FBT J5 BA:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fbt_j5a_j_serie.htm
absolutely great, powerful, small speakers
- medium gigs: either HK Lucas Nano or JBL Eon 510.

#390043 - 06/25/14 09:08 AM Re: Nursing Home/ Small gig Powered Speaker? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
40-watts peak from a single speaker ain't much, and the numbers don't lie. I see this kind of tiny, battery powered PA around all the time, and most are not worth the powder to blow them to Hell. Like Larry, I want my audiences to hear the best I can offer, the full sound spectrum, nothing less. And, that's if the audience is just a dozen people in a living-room, or a couple hundred on a dance-floor. I use the same system for everyone. And, despite the fact that I'm really old and infirmed, I can still easily lift that 23-pound Bose L1 Compact with one hand.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (06/25/14 09:09 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#390044 - 06/25/14 09:26 AM Re: Nursing Home/ Small gig Powered Speaker? [Re: travlin'easy]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
For what it gives, it's too much money.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#390045 - 06/25/14 10:25 AM Re: Nursing Home/ Small gig Powered Speaker? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

It has AC also...just sayin,

#390048 - 06/25/14 11:17 AM Re: Nursing Home/ Small gig Powered Speaker? [Re: Dnj]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
It has AC also...just sayin,

It does have the AC, and on paper, it has a very decent frequency response. I'd have to hear it.

But I'd be weary. I remember that when I was playing with JBL Eon10s, a very reputable speaker, I would get more loudness complaints than I do now with my FBTs playing at the same volume.

BTW, I don't think the Bose have to be stereo to sound great. I have a buddy who sings to backing tracks, and we were both booked 15 minutes apart at the same community. He had the standard Bose L1, and he sounded INCREDIBLE during the 10 minutes I was able to listen.

I think the speaker quality is super important, however. Your audience won't consciously hear frequency response, signal to noise ratio, total harmonic distortion, but they will respond emotionally if things sound just perfect or not quite right.

#390057 - 06/25/14 01:09 PM Re: Nursing Home/ Small gig Powered Speaker? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I quit discussion on the benefits of Stereo vs Mono on gigs...
let's leave it at that....

enjoy what you use

I just wanted to give a heads up to a new portable powered speaker,...amazing how many put it down with out ever hearing one or using one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online