SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#388157 - 04/20/14 09:52 PM DON'T (Let it Go)!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If any of you entertain in ANY area where there are kids (2-25) around ... do yourself a favor and download the MEGA,MEGA hit, "Let it Go"and have it ready to play for these young'uns. I'm not suggesting that no one learn it live, but it's a colossal icon tune and unless you can sell it BIG TIME ... your audience would rather hear Idina anyway. (Leave the Demi Lovato version alone - it lacks all of the energy and power that was written for Idina)

I was playing a 50th wedding anniversary yesterday and I did 3 1/2 hours of Sinatra, Standards, Light Jazz and Show-tunes, and then I got "THE" request. I knew it was coming, so I switched into DJ mode and the rest of the night was a flurry of action, energy, dance moves and young girls' voices ringing the rooftops with DisneyPop. I stayed a 1/2 hour overtime, got an extra $100 tip and so many compliments from everyone that I went home on a high note. The older crowd really loved the live music and one little 6 yr old said I was the best DJ she ever saw .... how many COULD she have seen?

The moral of the story ... be prepared. Always have a taste of the pop culture on the radio ready to share ... even if it's a live playback (YouTube) from your phone. You'll make points with the digital generation, and book more work from their more financially solvent parents. Just sayin ...
Glad I had those newer pop tunes ready to go.
Here's just a few current staples:
Let it Go (Frozen)
Happy (Despicable Me2)
Selfie (Chainsmokers)
All of Me (John Legend) - play this song live it's AWESOME!
Katie perry, Bruno Mars, Gaga etc ... they all have stuff that's worth keeping handy.
Happy Easter everyone. (oops, that was yesterday)

#388171 - 04/21/14 08:52 AM Re: DON'T (Let it Go)! [Re: Uncle Dave]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Certainly agree with "All of Me" and other John Legend stuff live.

I'll leave the DJ stuff to my much younger and agile UD!

R.

#388182 - 04/21/14 12:38 PM Re: DON'T (Let it Go)! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Got them all already...I use the dance remix of Let It Go much better then the orig with all those slow parts...

surprised you lasted 3 1/2 hrs of Sinatra, show tunes stuff etc,.......the youngins must have been going nuts listening confused2 or maybe had their iPod headphones on headphone until they made they made "THE" request to pump it up Mr Dj!! lol... dance

Edited by Dnj (04/21/14 01:04 PM)

#388187 - 04/21/14 03:20 PM Re: DON'T (Let it Go)! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Donny - that dancemix is terrible - I can't believe you like the sound quality of it. (hate the drums) The kids that like the show know every pulse of it, just like the slowdown in NYNY - no one seems to mind. They just sing a long at the top of their lungs and bounce up and down. Your senior dancers are another story - they are not as fussy and don't know the real vocal versions of some of the more pop stuff. For them, I guess a steady beat is best, but it just ruins an otherwise great song.
Sorry to poo=poo on your parade, but for me, this song is too big for a second rate arrangement. Just my thoughts. I'm sure you keep 'em on the floor all night - you always do.
Remember - my crowd is not always a dance all night bunch - there's lots of interaction and listening moments on my routine.

#388192 - 04/21/14 03:45 PM Re: DON'T (Let it Go)! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Donny - that dancemix is terrible - I can't believe you like the sound quality of it. (hate the drums) The kids that like the show know every pulse of it, just like the slowdown in NYNY - no one seems to mind. They just sing a long at the top of their lungs and bounce up and down. Your senior dancers are another story - they are not as fussy and don't know the real vocal versions of some of the more pop stuff. For them, I guess a steady beat is best, but it just ruins an otherwise great song.
Sorry to poo=poo on your parade, but for me, this song is too big for a second rate arrangement. Just my thoughts. I'm sure you keep 'em on the floor all night - you always do.
Remember - my crowd is not always a dance all night bunch - there's lots of interaction and listening moments on my routine.

If you say so...I guess we'll just agree to disagree for sure.

#388200 - 04/21/14 05:48 PM Re: DON'T (Let it Go)! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

smile
Got nothin' but love for ya.

#388316 - 04/24/14 02:12 PM Re: DON'T (Let it Go)! [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Dave ... I would LOVE to hear your interpretation of John Legend's "All Of Me" ... singer keys

#388322 - 04/24/14 06:18 PM Re: DON'T (Let it Go)! [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Dave ... I would LOVE to hear your interpretation of John Legend's "All Of Me" ... singer keys

Workin' on it now Tony .... after the play closes I'll have some "me" time.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online