SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#385993 - 03/08/14 07:15 PM OT -- Outlook as mail client / new laptop/tablet
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I got a new laptop, a small, lightweight Sony Vaio. Has 8gb RAM, 500gb hard drive. I5 processor. 14" screen. Very light. The screen will fold and lay flat and you can use it like touchscreen. I wanted something I could put lyrics on, as well and use as a teleprompter for gigs.

I was considering the Surface Pro. I wanted something light but which had real computing power. Both do. I wanted something I could hook up a large 24" monitor to because my day job stuff, I look at maps constantly. This and the Surface both have HDMI.

This little guy is pretty impressive, yet if I can't get the screen to go brighter, it's probably a deal killer. It's a good screen, just not bright enough and I have it maxed out. I have clicked every setting there is. I love this keyboard, it is SO well layed out and has backlit keys, which is wonderful. I am surprised this screen won't get any brighter.

I wanted something with at least 8gb RAM. This has just that. This one was cheaper than the Surface.

---

Anyone use Outlook for email? I have used it in the past but not for about 5 years, at least. I have used Gmail. It's kind of quirky. I need something with powerful features for followup, archiving and such. Wondering if Outlook is the ticket.

Thanks if you have any comments. I bought MS Office but failed to get the version with Outlook. Can swap it out if I decide to use Outlook.

#385996 - 03/09/14 01:12 AM Re: OT -- Outlook as mail client / new laptop/tablet [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Most laptops use LED screens these day to conserve battery, so tend not to be as bright as older screens. (You will need to try different laptops until you find one that suits)

Outlook has changed quite a lot in the last 5 years and for business is ideal; however it is still more of a desktop based system that you can plug into, rather than a portable system.

Most office installs contain the full version of Office; however the code provided will only activate the version you have chosen, with the rest being 30 day trials, so check to see if a trial is included with your version.

If you do not have access to the trial version of Outlook a 30 day trial can be obtained from the Microsoft Office site here .

Hope this helps

Bill

#386000 - 03/09/14 04:13 AM Re: OT -- Outlook as mail client / new laptop/tablet [Re: abacus]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Thanks for reply, that helps knowing about new laptops using LED. But I found settings for the screen for plugged-in use and while on battery. I don't use a laptop on battery that often. Another negative of this small laptop is the edge of the case is sharp, what a bad design, should be beveled, it's uncomfortable in certain situations.

This is Windows 8. Ugh. A new OS.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online