SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#385103 - 02/23/14 10:02 PM Nobody noticed this...or is it not worth noticing?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Due to come out in early March. It’s supposed to have the sound of the old TR-808......processed to make it sound less digital and more analog.

Roland TR-8 Rhythm Performer (Sweetwater)

Roland site

I’ve been thinking for a while now about MIDI connecting my PA3x to an external drum module…..even my old Yamaha drum machine. You really don’t feel inspired to play without heavy drum sounds.

So….I’m wondering if this will do the job. I think anything has to sound better than those limp sounds I have in there now!

Mark

#385105 - 02/23/14 10:15 PM Re: Nobody noticed this...or is it not worth noticing? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It would be a lot easier to load more drum kits. There are quite a lot a available

#385112 - 02/24/14 12:53 AM Re: Nobody noticed this...or is it not worth noticing? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

I posted this weeks ago.

#385123 - 02/24/14 06:29 AM Re: Nobody noticed this...or is it not worth noticing? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I agree with you, I like strong drums and bass behind me. Get a Roland BK7M or totally change to a BK9. Great drums and very editable down to each particular instrument in a set.

#385132 - 02/24/14 07:56 AM Re: Nobody noticed this...or is it not worth noticing? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill you can do all that on Korg as well, plus their are tons of onboard drums if you dig into it.

#385133 - 02/24/14 08:01 AM Re: Nobody noticed this...or is it not worth noticing? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Bill you can do all that on Korg as well, plus their are tons of onboard drums if you dig into it.

#385157 - 02/24/14 01:39 PM Re: Nobody noticed this...or is it not worth noticing? [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The original 808 "THOUGHT" it sounded like real drums ... HA! It was, however the start of every hip-hop and R&B sounding kit on the market today. Why would anyone want those old analog sounds in a new box when they have been able to duplicate them for 30 years already? The 808 sounds are low rez and easy to replicate on modern gear.

#385174 - 02/24/14 03:39 PM Re: Nobody noticed this...or is it not worth noticing? [Re: Mark79100]
Ketron_AJ Offline

Loc: Middletown, DE
Or just get an Audya 4 .... maybe and add to your existing gear?

#385201 - 02/24/14 11:15 PM Re: Nobody noticed this...or is it not worth noticing? [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
It would be a lot easier to load more drum kits. There are quite a lot a available

Don....I forgot that you probably know more than anyone about the PA3x.

So....how would you optimize the drum sounds to thicken them up?

Are you saying if you go through the "drum kits" some sound better than others?

Use samples?

MIDI it to a Ketron module?

There is no way?

When I was picking up my music case, someone was playing a Kronos. Those drums sounded better than the PA3x and I remembered that KORG told me that the sound engine in the Kronos is different and much better than the PA3x.

As you know, my two biggest hindrances with that machine that keep me away from it are the sometimes absolutely ridiculous styles and the thin sounding drums.

Mark

#385203 - 02/24/14 11:54 PM Re: Nobody noticed this...or is it not worth noticing? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
The original 808 "THOUGHT" it sounded like real drums ... HA! It was, however the start of every hip-hop and R&B sounding kit on the market today. Why would anyone want those old analog sounds in a new box when they have been able to duplicate them for 30 years already? The 808 sounds are low rez and easy to replicate on modern gear.

Yes, Dave, I hear you. But I'm sure Roland must have something up their sleeve with this new product. They're certainly not going to introduce a $500 drum machine with a 500 year old sound. Unless.....this is also geared towards the techie geeks that want something even easier to make junk music with.

I sometimes think music is going to eventually be made by just one single unit where your current pop icon vocalist just presses a button when he's ready to release another (mindless) song and the machine spits it out. Kind of like a "password" software program where, after you set it up, it coughs up a different combination of "passwords" with each go! Or like Band in a Box....you give it a set of chords and it gives you back a melody while you mow the lawn.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more plausible it sounds in this age where people just take what's handed to them and don't question the quality or the integrity of what they're getting. Kind of like our latest gift to mankind...double-digit inflation! Just put it on someone's plate and they'll eat it no matter how toxic!

I shudder to think that's where music production and entertainment will eventually end up!

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online