SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#374585 - 11/09/13 10:53 AM Computer Audio Issue (Way, way off topic...)
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Hey gang-

I was working at my desk this morning when suddenly it seemed I lost the higher frequencies to my speaker system. I use a powered Altec Lansing system with 2 tweeters and 1 sub woofer.

But, its even more weird.

If I listen to You tube videos, I can hear the low frequencies but not any speaking or singing. I've doubled checked all the connections and they seem to be fine. I've tried a restart and the short burst of music you hear during XP's startup sounds fine. (I think, lol...)

My mp3 files also only play the low frequencies, can't really hear any of the upper stuff.

I've also tried Skype & Sirius/XM on line and the same things happens. It sounds all muddy and isn't as loud as it usually is.

I've tried to check my drivers, best I can tell, they are all current.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

#374589 - 11/09/13 11:13 AM Re: Computer Audio Issue (Way, way off topic...) [Re: Bill in Dayton]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Difficult from a distance

1. Check the Windows soundcard settings to make sure it is outputting to the correct terminals
2. Most soundcards have an eq setting somewhere in their software so make sure a program hasn’t altered this.
3. The soundcard has become defective
4. The cable has become defective
5. The Tweeters have become defective
6. The amp feeding the tweeters has become defective

It’s a matter of swapping things out to locate the problem, however my guess is either settings have changed or the Tweeter amp has failed.

Hope this helps

Bill

#374593 - 11/09/13 11:32 AM Re: Computer Audio Issue (Way, way off topic...) [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds as if the PC's sound card took a dump. They're not expensive, though.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#374595 - 11/09/13 11:42 AM Re: Computer Audio Issue (Way, way off topic...) [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill in Dayton Offline

I hooked my Android up to it and it sounded wonderful...

How do I test my sound card and/or settings

Thanks guys...

#374600 - 11/09/13 12:22 PM Re: Computer Audio Issue (Way, way off topic...) [Re: Bill in Dayton]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
My opinion, check if other cables will work. It seems that either an external or even internal connection or a short circuit might be the problem.
Also that happens when a phase issue occur. It is difficult to me to explain, but I'd recommend testing with other cables.

#374609 - 11/09/13 01:29 PM Re: Computer Audio Issue (Way, way off topic...) [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Most Audio cards have a 1/8-inch line in jack, 1/8-inch mic jack and 1/8-inch speaker jack. Just plug another device into the line in jack and if it works OK, then the problem lies outside the sound card, bad cable, connector, etc...

To test the sound card, using the PC, click Start/Control Panel/sound/sounds, then you can test the individual PC sounds and see if the sound correctly.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#374644 - 11/09/13 06:26 PM Re: Computer Audio Issue (Way, way off topic...) [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Bill, I had the same problem a while back. And it turned out to be just a DSP setting in the sound card audio manager had somehow got turned on. I think it is probably a software not hardware issue.

Check the DSP panel for your soundcard and see what is turned on.
You should be able to find it in Control Panel. I think it was the Realtek Audio Manager on my PC. Somehow one of the "Environment" presets had become active.

#374670 - 11/10/13 08:34 AM Re: Computer Audio Issue (Way, way off topic...) [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Nigel-You know someone else who apparently had the same exact problem, lol...

Everything is back to normal...

Thanks guys!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online