SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#372937 - 10/13/13 03:42 PM Dig this grove and not a durmmer in site.
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Of course these are real musicians that are able to use 5 or 6 chords a bar and sometimes more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOXFG4YoSVM

If I don't get too many ignorant, negative, dummy comments, I'll put up some more Russ and Randy if you'd like eh?

ENJOY all you real musicians. This ought to rumple some feathers again. I can't help it, the Devil made me do it!!!

I couldn't keep quite any longer. Hell Coltrane did some stuff at a session with just him and a bass because the drummer was too drunk to play. The drummers were the big boozers in our bands most of the time. Man they could out drink 3 sax players put together except for Zoot Sims. A patron once asked Zoot, how can you play all lit up like that? Zoot said, pratice, practice, practice.

#372940 - 10/13/13 05:40 PM Re: Dig this grove and not a durmmer in site. [Re: brickboo]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I thought the band did great the first time through...then they seemed to lose their way, and each one started hunting around trying to find the song again, playing all kinds of weird stuff, and didn't find it again till almost the end.

Ha Ha! Just kiddin' Boo...like you, the devil made me do it.

Very nice arrangement; I've always appreciated Peterson's monster talent (and his band mates, of course), and Stan Getz always "getz" an A+ from me for seriously good chops.

Hey, the drummers had more places to hide their booze...that's why they could out drink the sax players.

Ian

#372941 - 10/13/13 06:15 PM Re: Dig this grove and not a durmmer in site. [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Ian, Thanks for keeping this topic light. Some can grove and some can entertain. There's no doubt that the entertainers make more money than the groovers.

When I first heard this album years ago, I was digging the improvisation and groove so much, that I didn't even realize that there wasn't a drummer on this session. Just Amazing this kind of talent. I need at the bare minimum a piano, bass and drums. A good guitarist or trombonist player turns me on a bunch too.

#372950 - 10/14/13 05:11 AM Re: Dig this grove and not a durmmer in site. [Re: brickboo]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Great post! Hope the fact that there is a drummer in my link below won't spoil the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZAuCqN3_M

Ian

#372955 - 10/14/13 08:59 AM Re: Dig this grove and not a durmmer in site. [Re: Beemer]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ah, Boo...my two old; sadly departed heroes, Ray Brown and Herb Ellis!

that's a tear jerker to me!

Russ

#372972 - 10/14/13 12:10 PM Re: Dig this grove and not a durmmer in site. [Re: brickboo]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not a machine up there either... LOL

I guess, if you have to do without a real drummer, this is the next best thing!

#372973 - 10/14/13 12:27 PM Re: Dig this grove and not a durmmer in site. [Re: brickboo]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: brickboo
Ian, Thanks for keeping this topic light. Some can grove and some can entertain. There's no doubt that the entertainers make more money than the groovers.

When I first heard this album years ago, I was digging the improvisation and groove so much, that I didn't even realize that there wasn't a drummer on this session. Just Amazing this kind of talent. I need at the bare minimum a piano, bass and drums. A good guitarist or trombonist player turns me on a bunch too.

The ideal combination would therefore be an entertainer who could groove.

I've played a few times without a drummer (Hammond B-3 and bass pedals) both in a duo with guitar and solo work in a restaurant setting, and managed to keep the sense/feel of the rhythm dominant enough to get by quite well.

Regarding drums without the bass, that kick drum just doesn't make it for me...the foundation is very weak, in my opinion.

So, if given a choice of either drums or bass, I'd have to go with bass.

Ian

#372989 - 10/15/13 03:17 AM Re: Dig this grove and not a durmmer in site. [Re: ianmcnll]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
I love/loved the sound of Stan Getz, he was the Paul Desmond of

the tenor sax.

Frank

#372995 - 10/15/13 06:24 AM Re: Dig this grove and not a durmmer in site. [Re: Mockie]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Mockie
I love/loved the sound of Stan Getz, he was the Paul Desmond of

the tenor sax.

Frank

Getz, Desmond, and Mulligan ... three sax gods to MY ears ...

#372999 - 10/15/13 07:12 AM Re: Dig this grove and not a durmmer in site. [Re: brickboo]
124 Offline

Can I put the word in for Stanley Turrentine and Ben Webster? Man, there are no words.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online